The Student Room Group

Flip a coin

I need to make my mind up regarding my future and therefore need to choose the right Undergrad course.

I have two main options, the first is Sport and Exercise science. I have a passion for studying the human body and will go through a BSc in this degree to do a masters in Physio (the closest i can get to being a doctor unless i re-do my A levels). The issues i have are that the course isn't massively respected and what if i don't go on to do a masters? Will it get me anywhere? Perhaps more importantly though, i'm not a massively sporty person so i feel like i'm doing a course that 'isnt me' if you know what i mean.

My second option is Journalism. I love writing and have a flair for it (excuse the modesty). I would love to write for magazines on topics which interested me. I worked in a local newspaper soon after my A levels but it bored me s**tless. I put this down to the 'treat the young one like a work experience kid' attitude and the local news was far from thrilling to me.

On the flipside, this is more 'me'. I watch films, listen to radio and read magazines, i divulge in media.

Put simply, what course should i do?
I may be wrong but I don't think you can become a licenced physiotherapist with just a masters. I'd check that out - again, I might be wrong.
Reply 2
'Successful completion leads to eligibility to apply for registration with the Health Professions Council (HPC) and the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) as a physiotherapist. HPC registration is required to work as a physiotherapist in the UK.'

That is taken from the most likely masters placement i would choose. Good point though.

On a side note, its just occurred to me that i could change course with the Uni im currently accepted at. They do an English lit, combined with journalism degree which is a perfect combination of English (very general and respected) and Journalism (vocational, Job-targeted).
Reply 3
Have you considered how competitive the master course might be?

I know Speech Therapy is different, but for the masters courses it's about 500-600 applicants for 11 places (at Reading). Of course this isn't a reason NOT to do Option A, but you should probably be aware it can take a few years to get on to the course.

As for Journalism - I think you need to be prepared (and willing) to write about boring topics for the first few years of your career. Also, have you considered copywriting?

How about shadowing a physio to see if it's definitely for you, or getting some more work experience in journalism?

Good luck, Lukas :smile:
Reply 4
I have had experience in journalism. Part of it was good fun, i get great satisfaction from writing a good bit of copy. I have not, however, had any experience at physio.
cointoss.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending