The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Can't decide between sheffield university and Warwick Unviersity???

I'm planning to do biological sciences at university and want to go to either sheffield or warwick they're both very good unis and i know warwick is a top one and sheffield is top for research so i can't decide. I also play rugby and want to continue this at uni (for fun though not really seriously) so does anyone know what the sports is like at both? Does anyone who goes to either/can compare both unis have any pros/cons on them?
This is a personal decision. Something I consider a pro could be a massive con to you.

What are your priorities from your degree in terms of content, assessment methods, teaching methods, study environment?

What are your priorities in terms of somewhere to live? What sort of environment do you live in at the moment? Would you like to live somewhere similar/familiar or somewhere completely different?

You’ll be able to play recreational rugby at either university.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Anonymous
I'm planning to do biological sciences at university and want to go to either sheffield or warwick they're both very good unis and i know warwick is a top one and sheffield is top for research so i can't decide. I also play rugby and want to continue this at uni (for fun though not really seriously) so does anyone know what the sports is like at both? Does anyone who goes to either/can compare both unis have any pros/cons on them?

Hi,

Great to hear you are considering Sheffield. Im a 4th year student so if you have any specific questions relating to the university or the city that might help your decision please do let me know!

Georgia :smile:
4th year psychology and education MA.
Reply 3
Hi thanks for your reply - both courses are pretty similar and have a complete range of modules which is why I applied to them. I live in london at the moment which is obviously very busy so originally thought I would prefer the smaller/quieter campus of Warwick but then visited Sheffield and actually realised I like them both although they are complete opposites.
I agree it's a personal decision and I have thought over every aspect of both places so i think i'm just being indecisive!

(Original post by PQ)This is a personal decision. Something I consider a pro could be a massive con to you.

What are your priorities from your degree in terms of content, assessment methods, teaching methods, study environment?

What are your priorities in terms of somewhere to live? What sort of environment do you live in at the moment? Would you like to live somewhere similar/familiar or somewhere completely different?

You’ll be able to play recreational rugby at either university.
Hi thanks for your reply - both courses are pretty similar and have a complete range of modules which is why I applied to them. I live in london at the moment which is obviously very busy so originally thought I would prefer the smaller/quieter campus of Warwick but then visited Sheffield and actually realised I like them both although they are complete opposites.
I agree it's a personal decision and I have thought over every aspect of both places so i think i'm just being indecisive!

The good news is that if you genuinely like both then there’s no bad decision here! Both choices are good choices. You could flip a coin if you wanted:wink:

It sounds a bit like you prefer Sheffield but are wary of picking it because it wasn’t your top choice before you visited and because of some perception of Warwick being “top” (it’s not - it’s good but not particularly for life sciences and not compared to Sheffield)? If so I would say go with your gut and pick Sheffield. If it felt right when you visited then that’s a really strong plus and indicator that you are likely to thrive there

Hey!
I would say to pick based on the city and the University life that you want. They are both very good Universities and I assume the courses will be very similar too. Remember you will be living in the city/at the University for at least three years so pick a place where you think you will feel at home! I am a little biased as I am currently at Sheffield, but I have friends who went to Warwick and loved it there too (although it is a lot more expensive). Whatever you decide, I am sure you will make the most of it!
Let me know if you have any other questions! And good luck with your decision making!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest