The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by OneFifty
People seem to be forgetting that the LAW requires you to have a tv licence if you have a tv! You can't pick and choose the laws you wish to obey, however unpopular that law may be.

Not quite true. You need a TV license if you are watching live TV. It's perfectly valid to have a TV without a license if it's only used for DVD's and gaming. Similarly you need a TV license if you watch live (or near live) tv on a computer using things like tvcatchup or the live version of iplayer.

As for allowing them entry you only have to let them in if they have a warrant from the courts (at which point they'll probably have the police with them). To get a warrant they'de need to have some evidence you're watching live tv without a license.
Reply 21
If you are operating it in accordance with the law, then what is the problem with letting the inspector in? Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.
People seem to be forgetting that the LAW requires you to have a tv licence if you have a tv! You can't pick and choose the laws you wish to obey, however unpopular that law may be.

the law also says i can shoot a Welshman on run-corn bridge with a crossbow
and thats illegal to eat mince pies on christmas

common sense takes precedence over law
Reply 23
Think you'll find modern laws override and make those laws obsolete. What was that about common sense?
*opens door*
You: Hello.
Them: Hi, we're an enquiry officer for TV Licensing.
You: Goodbye.
*close door*

continue daily anecdotes.
Reply 25

Ahh sorry...You do NOT need a licence to own a tv...You only need a licence if you watch LIVE tv broadcasts...And it is NOT a law it is an ACT..wireless telegraphy act 2006...An Act to enable the Postmaster General to obtain information as to the sale and hire of television receiving sets; So before you start spouting the "LAW". you need to get your facts right...
Thankyou
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
People don't realise just how lucky we are to have the BBC :facepalm:
Reply 27

You don't need a licence if you own a tv. You only need a licence if you are watching or recording TV as it is being broadcast. Look on TV licenceing website and they will tell you the same thing.
I usually tell them to piss off.

Then again, I also broke the finger of a milk company representative when they got aggressive over me not wanting milk delivered and forced me to shut the door on their hand...
Reply 29
Original post by heidigirl

Anyone else had visits from TV licensing? What did you say/do to get them to leave?

Around the time TV went digital - I had an analogue set and I couldn't be arsed updating it or buying a digibox so I cancelled my TV licence and then got utterly harrassed by mail and then phone calls and visits.

The first time a guy came round, I told him the same story I had given over the phone and then he told me he was just coming in to check. I just said I didn't want to let him in and to be fair, he didn't really argue that much - he just said they would be back.

The second time a guy came round I just said straight away that I wasn't interested. He kept pestering me telling me that if he was just allowed in then they could close the file off. The thing is, all that would have happened is that they would have seen my old set, assume I had a digibox cached somewhere and would have continued to harass me. So I didn't see the point of letting them invade my privacy. I just told him to go and he gave up.

I then wrote to TV licensing withdrawing right of access and called to confirm. I think they are pretty used to this since the woman on the phone acknowledged the letter and said she would update the file so that I wouldn't be bothered any more and true to her word that was the end of it.
Reply 30
I have had " A salesman " from Capita call at my house to try and sell me a license.. I have found the best way to deal with this bullying scum is to keep a video camera by the door and film them..the one that called on me
ran down the path as soon as i picked it up..i told him that his " implied right of access" was totally removed and that if he or any one else from his company came to my property again i would call the police and have them arrested for aggravated trespass
... These are SALESMEN nothing more.. they are on a commission..they have NO right whatsoever to enter your home...tell them to piss off..
(edited 11 years ago)
For Christ's sake woman, either ignore them and tell them to go away or just pay the rather small amount of money required for a TV license.
Reply 32
Original post by CaptainDudeson
For Christ's sake woman, either ignore them and tell them to go away or just pay the rather small amount of money required for a TV license.

Let me enlighten you on a couple of points..

1/ You cannot ignore these people, They send you threatening letters each and every month telling you they will take you to court and fine you a thousand pounds.and all this with NO proof that you even own a tv ,and they will NOT go away till they have made you pay whether you need to or not..just bullying scum..

2/ the " small amount " is £142.. going to help fund a jimmy savile pedophile ring... i dont think so..
Original post by alerick
Let me enlighten you on a couple of points..

1/ You cannot ignore these people, They send you threatening letters each and every month telling you they will take you to court and fine you a thousand pounds.and all this with NO proof that you even own a tv ,and they will NOT go away till they have made you pay whether you need to or not..just bullying scum..

2/ the " small amount " is £142.. going to help fund a jimmy savile pedophile ring... i dont think so..

1. Rubbish. If you don't require a TV license then you will not have to pay and it is ridiculous to suggest otherwise. It doesn't matter whether they harass you or not, if you are not legally required to pay then you will not pay, and if you do then frankly you are seriously wet and deserve to be bullied.

2. £142 is a pathetically tiny amount of money and your suggestion that it goes towards 'a Jimmy Savile paedophile (are you American?) ring is silly. It goes towards making TV programs that you probably watch.

Let me enlighten you on something; if you honestly believe what you have written then you are clearly not very bright.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
I wonder if there was ever any truth in the tale that they used to have roving vans around the cities trying to spot out which houses were illegally using TVs ?:rolleyes:
Reply 35
1. Rubbish. If you don't require a TV license then you will not have to pay and it is ridiculous to suggest otherwise. It doesn't matter whether they harass you or not, if you are not legally required to pay then you will not pay, and if you do then frankly you are seriously wet and deserve to be bullied.

2. £142 is a pathetically tiny amount of money and your suggestion that it goes towards 'a Jimmy Savile peadophile (are you American?) ring is silly. It goes towards making TV programs that you probably watch.

Let me enlighten you on something; if you honestly believe what you have written then you are clearly not very bright.

As far as these people are concerned there are 2 types if people, licence payers and licence dodgers. They don't comprehend that some people may not want or have a TV. If your watching tv without a licence then you deserve to get the harassment but since 1 in 8 of the people harassed need a licence what about the 7 in 8 who don't?

and yes it does fund a pedophile ring. As well as paying for executive taxis etc
Original post by Halffull
As far as these people are concerned there are 2 types if people, licence payers and licence dodgers. They don't comprehend that some people may not want or have a TV. If your watching tv without a licence then you deserve to get the harassment but since 1 in 8 of the people harassed need a licence what about the 7 in 8 who don't?

and yes it does fund a pedophile ring. As well as paying for executive taxis etc

And your point is? Who cares what the licensing people think? If you are one of those people who does not require a TV license then don't pay the bloody thing. You can't be forced to whether you are harassed are not. Stop being so ****ing wet and challenge them properly if you think you have a good case.

It doesn't fund a paedophile ring. Do you have any idea how moronic that sounds? ( By the way, as per my last post it is spelt paedophile, not pedophile). As for executive taxis, who gives a ****?
(edited 11 years ago)
2. £142 is a pathetically tiny amount of money and your suggestion that it goes towards 'a Jimmy Savile peadophile (are you American?) ring is silly. It goes towards making TV programs that you probably watch.

Without wishing to sound pedantic, your spelling is off too. It's "paedophile" (rather than "peadophile").
Original post by FrogInABog
Without wishing to sound pedantic, your spelling is off too. It's "paedophile" (rather than "peadophile").

Thanks for that, I stand corrected.
Reply 39

You should really know what you are talking about before you post on a subject you know nothing about. Having a TV licence is not LAW, it is in fact an ACT of parliament that needs your consent. No consent, no problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending