The Student Room Group

Zoology Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kingsley Hunt
I'll start by saying that I'm only a year 11 here, so at the end of my GCSEs, so a far way behind all of you, and I'm sorry if this is seen as trying to hijack your thread slightly, as I don't mean to. But I've also been looking at some of the Zoology courses at various universities recently, I'm a victim of over excitement I think but also as a source of inspiration to keep slugging away at my GCSEs and schoolwork as a focus for an eventual aim. But as someone who would hopefully want to be sitting in your situation a few years down the line, as zoology and the study of animals has been a big passion of mine since as young as I can remember, probably my first Attenborough documentary, particularly felines like Lynxes and Bobcats(working in Canada is my dream), have you got any sort of advice or anything to give to a young budding zoologist about to embark on A levels. Again my apologies if I've done this all wrong and it should be in a different thread. And congratulations and good luck to all with university offers and courses, I'm more than a little bit jealous! :smile:

Start doing fieldwork NOW - volunteer at conservation charities locally etc Also start buying books (as in scientific based books) on whatever species area you are most intrerested in and try and keep up with the scientific literature in that field. That's about it really!
Original post by Lgambo
Hmmmm am stuck between Manchester and Bristol. Manchester as a city looks well fun and the sandwich year and field courses look amazing. The Bristol course seems a bit boring to me but their ties with the BBC Natural History Unit are really relevant to me! Can anybody offer their insight into the two cities and courses? :smile:

I wouldn't bother going to Bristol for the natural history unit as they don't actually have any ties and the only person I know who managed any work with them volunteered in film-making for the entire three years of her degree, then a year after that too. Unless you are the best of the best you stand no chance, and you are looking at years unpaid work.

In terms of choosing, I would go on the course. Bristol is not boring in the slightest though, just so you know, and has the major bonus of doing no human biology at all. Manchester is more chemistry-y as far as I know.
Anybody going to the applicant day at LJMU on monday?
Reply 303
anybody got an interview for manchester?
Reply 304
Original post by housb95
anybody got an interview for manchester?

Yep! Tomorrow... how you feeling? :smile:
Is anybody going to Exeter's offer holder visit day this Saturday? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 306
Original post by ellehamilton
Is anybody going to Exeter's offer holder visit day this Saturday? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me!
Reply 308
Original post by Lgambo
Yep! Tomorrow... how you feeling? :smile:

*belated good luck*.........how did it go? :smile:
Reply 309
Got an offer for zoology at Hull today :-)
Original post by tallica79
Got an offer for zoology at Hull today :-)

Congratulations :biggrin: I have an offer to study zoology too and have put Hull as my firm choice :smile: Have you been to see the uni? :smile:
Reply 311
Original post by housb95
*belated good luck*.........how did it go? :smile:

Well I got an offer woooo! But he's offered me higher than my predicted grades which is a shame. What about you? :smile: was such a good day though, I'm sure I wanna go there.
Reply 312
Original post by Lgambo
Well I got an offer woooo! But he's offered me higher than my predicted grades which is a shame. What about you? :smile: was such a good day though, I'm sure I wanna go there.

well done that's great! :smile: do you find out straight away if you have an offer? what are you being offered? and mine is on the 20th, as in wednesday coming up, soo nervous :/
Reply 313
Woo, offer from Manchester yesterday!

And Exeter's offer holder visit day this Saturday! :biggrin:
Reply 314
Anyone doing Manchester with a foreign language? Got an interview!

Also unconditional offers from Queen Mary's, Exeter and a conditional from Cardiff.
Reply 315
Original post by 19ebony93
Congratulations :biggrin: I have an offer to study zoology too and have put Hull as my firm choice :smile: Have you been to see the uni? :smile:

Hi Ebony! Thank you! I live in Hull, iv been to the Uni before on an Open day and also to a party at the campus pub, so iv seen most of it. Im just waiting for an invite to an applicant day so i can see what the course is like in depth. I will most prob firm Hull as Its on my doorstep and il be better off financally staying at home rather than going with One of my other offers x
Reply 316
I've fallen in love with Exeter Cornwall Campus! :love:
Original post by itsjordan
I've fallen in love with Exeter Cornwall Campus! :love:

Me too, it's amazing!! :biggrin: Really enjoyed yesterday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 318
Original post by ellehamilton
Me too, it's amazing!! :biggrin: Really enjoyed yesterday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't know there would be so many biosciences people! That was only the first visit day aswell!

The whole course sounds perfect though, and the field trips, and the vibe around the campus, just want to go there now!!
Original post by itsjordan
Didn't know there would be so many biosciences people! That was only the first visit day aswell!

The whole course sounds perfect though, and the field trips, and the vibe around the campus, just want to go there now!!

I know, it was just packed full of bioscience people! (Because that's the best department :wink: ) All those field trips sound amazing, it's always been a dream of mine to go to Africa, so it's just perfect :smile: I love how close the campus is to the beach too, we went down to the beach after the taster lecture and it's really nice, I'm so excited now! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending