The Student Room Group

Msc in Immunology at Imperial College London

I understand that this is a very specific question, and unlikely to attract too many answers, but does anyone know why there is such a discrepancy between each masters fee at Imperial college london?

Ecology, evolution and conservation is £9000, while immunology is £4500, and so forth.

Also, the difference in tuition fees between immunology related masters' at UCL and ICL is huge. I thought UCL and ICL were both good universities, especially for biological sciences.

Surely ICL could charge more if that were the case, or do the medicine and life sciences departments not measure up to those at UCL?
(edited 11 years ago)
I wouldn't read too much into this. For instance, ICL is currently charging IIRC £3,300 for its Physics MSc, which is just the 4th year of the MSci that would cost enrolled students £9,000!
I would be more than happy to pay £4500 tuition fees for a course at ICL, instead of the £6000 I paid last week. Every little helps.

I wouldn't read too much into it. If you look at all the p/g courses at ICL and UCL, I'm sure (I hope) you'd find course fees that are lower and higher when comparing the two institutions. I wouldn't had thought that higher fees always means that the course is of higher value and quality (better) than if it was cheaper?

These uni's stake their reputation on what they offer and ICL wouldn't offer a £4500 fee immunology course if it wasn't competitively priced or if they wouldn't be able to cover their overheads by offering it.
(edited 11 years ago)
The reason they are different prices is surprising simple (once you know), the immunology MSc is a recognised degree by the relevant research council which have fixed prices (as does yearly study fees on a PhD) whereas Ecology, evolution and conservation is not recognised research council and ICL can set the price at what the market can stand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending