The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Can I Get Into Durham With These Grades' Thread

Scroll to see replies

I applied in a really tough year that was the last of the old fees and applications were very high. I got an offer for BSc Geography (admittedly not the most competitive course) with 6.5 A*s at GCSE and two of those were in Art and Textiles. Didn't even get an A* in Geography. I believe in my case they were most interested in my personal statement/reference and my (realistic) predictions of A*A*A in relevant subjects.

Universities use GCSE and AS grades to assess whether A2 predictions are realistic. UMS points over 90% at AS will say a lot more about you than how many A*s you got at GCSE in non-relevant subjects. I have heard that a lot of universities have got a lot less "nazi" about GCSEs since the introduction of the A* at A level.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I am hoping to study physics at a uni like durham (other choices are places like birmingham, nottingham, warwick). I got 2A*'s 3a's 1B and 5c's for GCSE and did poorly in all the essay writing subjects (english, english lit, geography, history, and Religious Studies) due to general lack of effort on my part and issues with timing in exams. I did well in the science subjects.

Last year i did my AS levels, I had 25% extra time and managed to achieve A's in physics, chemistry and biology and a B in Maths. My A-level predictions are good (A*AA - AA*A*).

Do I have a chance of getting into a uni like durham? I've heard rumours that if you haven't got at least 7A*s at GCSE they don't really consider your application. If not are there any other uni's I should be looking at?
im so worried, my ums are oook. what is ideal for durham, like in maths and further.
i got C1:93, C2:98, M1:96, D1:83, D2:76, S1:72, FP1:79
is that enough? i only done well the first 3.
Reply 383
The ideal would be 100, really :rolleyes:
Original post by Luna.
The ideal would be 100, really :rolleyes:

:frown:
Original post by cooldudeman
im so worried, my ums are oook. what is ideal for durham, like in maths and further.

That's not too bad though it's just S1 and D2 that mainly let you down a bit. Would it be a hindrance, if you could possibly redo S1 and D2?

You'll be wanting A*A or A*A* for Maths and Further Maths if you're looking at Durham. Maybe stick your S1 with your Maths A-Level since your high UMS from C1/C2/M1 will balance it out, and retake D2 and FP1?
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
That's not too bad though it's just S1 and D2 that mainly let you down a bit. Would it be a hindrance, if you could possibly redo S1 and D2?

Original post by justinawe
You'll be wanting A*A or A*A* for Maths and Further Maths if you're looking at Durham. Maybe stick your S1 with your Maths A-Level since your high UMS from C1/C2/M1 will balance it out, and retake D2 and FP1?

yeah im definitely retaking D2, but my teacher says that i shouldnt retake fp1 because i can still get an A* if i do well in M2, S2 and FP2. im taking m2 and c3 and c4 in jan. my M1 went towards my further maths. i averaged, 274/300 in my core maths(edexcel put my C1, C2, D1) and in further maths 251/300 (FP1, D2, M1). i mean i also did AS physics and got really high scores in my 2 exams. do people get in with my kind of ums?
yeah im definitely retaking D2, but my teacher says that i shouldnt retake fp1 because i can still get an A* if i do well in M2, S2 and FP2. im taking m2 and c3 and c4 in jan. my M1 went towards my further maths. i averaged, 274/300 in my core maths(edexcel put my C1, C2, D1) and in further maths 251/300 (FP1, D2, M1). i mean i also did AS physics and got really high scores in my 2 exams. do people get in with my kind of ums?

If you can manage A*A* with high UMS in FP2 and FP3 and have a good personal statement, I don't see why not.

Well I'm just gonna warn you they rejected me for maths with higher UMS than that and 90% A* at GCSE.
Original post by In One Ear
Well I'm just gonna warn you they rejected me for maths with higher UMS than that and 90% A* at GCSE.

really? did they give you a specific reason/feedback to why they didnt accept you?
really? did they give you a specific reason/feedback to why they didnt accept you?

No, I just got the rejection on track very late on (I applied to Durham on the final day of equal consideration). I never bothered to enquire as to why since I was happy with my other offers (Durham is too far away :tongue:) but I guess it was a bit of a slap to the ego since I was expecting an offer as I had great gcses, strong AS levels in all the right subjects and predictions much higher than necessary. :frown: Oh well i guess :tongue:
Original post by In One Ear
No, I just got the rejection on track very late on (I applied to Durham on the final day of equal consideration). I never bothered to enquire as to why since I was happy with my other offers (Durham is too far away :tongue:) but I guess it was a bit of a slap to the ego since I was expecting an offer as I had great gcses, strong AS levels in all the right subjects and predictions much higher than necessary. :frown: Oh well i guess :tongue:

well that gave me ALOT of confidence...
what other offers did you get?
well that gave me ALOT of confidence...
what other offers did you get?

Warwick, Bath and Exeter and I'm currently studying at Warwick.
Reply 394
Honestly it's best if you contact the admissions team at the universities you want to apply to.
You can email them or ring them and just ask :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
bump bump bump
Reply 396
Bumping for interest.
Reply 397
i've been told countless times that gcse's are overlooked when you have very high grades at AS.
This is because it shows that you are good in the subjects you want to continue on to study at uni.

But in some cases, when tutors see two very able candidates and only one spot - they sometimes refer to their gcse's...

Good luck!

Ummm, can I point out that with applied modules the exam boards just put them in with whichever maths A-Level in order to give you the best grades in both? For example, I did C1-4, FP1, S1-2 and M1-2 back in the day to get Maths A-Level and Further maths AS. I technically took S1-2 as part of Maths and M1-2 in FM, but if my mechanics would've dragged my FM down to a B but I got high marks in the stats modules then they would've counted S1-2 as FM to give me As in both Maths and FM, if the mechanics didn't drag maths down to a B.

EDIT: actually your post seems like you've realised this anyway, my bad. Good thing to think about for anyone who hasn't thought about this!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 399
Original post by bacongrease
I am hoping to study physics at a uni like durham (other choices are places like birmingham, nottingham, warwick). I got 2A*'s 3a's 1B and 5c's for GCSE and did poorly in all the essay writing subjects (english, english lit, geography, history, and Religious Studies) due to general lack of effort on my part and issues with timing in exams. I did well in the science subjects.

Last year i did my AS levels, I had 25% extra time and managed to achieve A's in physics, chemistry and biology and a B in Maths. My A-level predictions are good (A*AA - AA*A*).

Do I have a chance of getting into a uni like durham? I've heard rumours that if you haven't got at least 7A*s at GCSE they don't really consider your application. If not are there any other uni's I should be looking at?

Bacon, in future, please can you start off by seeing if your question has been answered by what's already on the forums? This is one of the questions we get asked most often, and I have personally replied to it on numerous occasions.

First of all, there's the FAQ that I spent days of my life putting together, which answers this question.

Secondly, please try to post your question in a relevant thread instead of starting a new one. [this thread has been merged with said megathread]

And to directly answer your question: Durham will seriously consider all applications, no matter what grades you have; don't believe any rumours you've heard. For anecdotal evidence, I only got 2.5A*s at GCSE, and got into the 4-year Physics degree.

With your very good A-level results, you've got a good a chance as anyone at getting an offer if your personal statement doesn't let you down.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest