The Student Room Group

Exhausted

I'm absolutely shattered and in desperate need of motivation. I need to write an essay by tomorrow morning and haven't even started yet (we have 3 supervision groups and last week I was in the last group and this week I'm in the first which effectively meant a 4 day week to read 4 plays several crit books and to produce an essay, plus I have had supervisions today and yesterday which take out a big big chunk). Oh crap - motivation people, please!

Next week is going to be a bloody nightmare as well because of offer holders I have to finish my essay 2 days early (so I can be a genial host) but I'm worried I'm going to strangle my girl for [potentially] giving me a lot of stress in my last week of term.

I don't want to come back next term - and I don't want to do college prelims. Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
blissy
I'm absolutely shattered and in desperate need of motivation. I need to write an essay by tomorrow morning and haven't even started yet (we have 3 supervision groups and last week I was in the last group and this week I'm in the first which effectively meant a 4 day week to read 4 plays several crit books and to produce an essay, plus I have had supervisions today and yesterday which take out a big big chunk). Oh crap - motivation people, please!

Next week is going to be a bloody nightmare as well because of offer holders I have to finish my essay 2 days early (so I can be a genial host) but I'm worried I'm going to strangle my girl for [potentially] giving me a lot of stress in my last week of term.

I don't want to come back next term - and I don't want to do college prelims. Help!

Which uni are you at? I'm afraid I'm not much good at motivating people, I find it impossible to motivate myself most of the time
Reply 2
Join the club! I have Medical Sociology and ISBM (statistics crap) exams next week; proper ones that count towards our 2nd MB; too many essays to count, and an Anatomy steeplechase and MCQ test next week. ARGH! :mad:

And my throat is getting sore and swollen. Please please please don't let it be the glandular fever again :frown:
Reply 3
Have decided to finish this little section and get some sleep. I will get up at 4am to do this essay - gives me enough time (just).

I'm at Cambridge (oh joy of joys). Sometimes I wish I went to an easier uni, my friends last term only wrote one 1000 word assignment whereas I wrote 13 2000 word essays. Slight difference methinks.
Reply 4
blissy
Have decided to finish this little section and get some sleep. I will get up at 4am to do this essay - gives me enough time (just).

I'm at Cambridge (oh joy of joys). Sometimes I wish I went to an easier uni, my friends last term only wrote one 1000 word assignment whereas I wrote 13 2000 word essays. Slight difference methinks.

A 132,000 word essay!! that's like 250 pages
Reply 5
boygenious

I think she means 13 essays. 2,000 words each. I can imagine what you mean about maybe thinking you could have gone to an easier uni. I could probably (well maybe) get into Oxbridge if I tried but I'm far too lazy. I know I just wouldn't be able to handle the work load. But you should be glad you're there. It will be worth it in the end!
Reply 6
boygenious

LOL, you know what I meant.
Good luck with it blissy, I'm sure it will be fine and just remember that when you're done the work will pay off because you'll be more employable and will find it easier to get onto postgrad.
MB
Reply 8
musicboy
Good luck with it blissy, I'm sure it will be fine and just remember that when you're done the work will pay off because you'll be more employable and will find it easier to get onto postgrad.
MB

Postgrad?! Postgrad!?!?!?! SPend another x number of years doing this... no thanks! I have definitely realised that I am not cut out for long-term academia. The Office looks so appealing right now. Have finished ONE measly paragraph (the first, so the worst). I spent a long time just wondering if I could press enter 3 times or just twice after the title and whether I should 1.5 space the title as well. Oh I have to get this done... ARgh!
Reply 9
blissy
I spent a long time just wondering if I could press enter 3 times or just twice after the title and whether I should 1.5 space the title as well. Oh I have to get this done... ARgh!

Look what Cambridge is doing to you... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 10
TheWolf
Look what Cambridge is doing to you... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

It has that effect on everyone - honest. I double-spaced an essay today. It was still about 2800 words, though - just double-spacing makes it read more fluidly (somehow).

Ben
Reply 11
Ben.S.
It has that effect on everyone - honest. I double-spaced an essay today. It was still about 2800 words, though - just double-spacing makes it read more fluidly (somehow).

Ben

Our supervisors insist on at least 1.5 spacing. My friend used 10pt once and had "please not again - my eyes!" written on the bottom.
Well if it makes you feel any better Blissy I have an essay due in for 9am and I've written a grand total of....200 words. I also have major exams beginning a week on Thursday about which I'm peeing myself. If I fail these exams I fail my course. eeeek. I AM GOING TO DIE A SLOW AND HORRIBLE DEATH.
Reply 13
hildabeast
Well if it makes you feel any better Blissy I have an essay due in for 9am and I've written a grand total of....200 words. I also have major exams beginning a week on Thursday about which I'm peeing myself. If I fail these exams I fail my course. eeeek. I AM GOING TO DIE A SLOW AND HORRIBLE DEATH.

I've written 134 and almost used the word "ananalysed". My brain is shot to pieces and I need to get this in for tomorrow morning as well! Doesn't full term end a week on Thursday, or are the exams in term? What a bugger on top of a bugger if they are!
blissy
I've written 134 and almost used the word "ananalysed". My brain is shot to pieces and I need to get this in for tomorrow morning as well! Doesn't full term end a week on Thursday, or are the exams in term? What a bugger on top of a bugger if they are!

Full term here ends a week on Saturday, but my exams start a week on Thursday. Som eyears they run into 9th week, some years not. This year they don't. OIn a way I would prefer it if they did because at least it would mean I would actually get some revision time, but I literally get none at all :eek:
Reply 15
I'm up to 139 now. Wooo. I worked out one day and I wrote 2 words a minute. Shocking.

My friend told me about a play she was doing in week 0. I thought it might have just been a polite way of telling her she wasn't good enough, but apparently it exists!
Reply 16
blissy
I'm up to 139 now. Wooo. I worked out one day and I wrote 2 words a minute. Shocking.

My friend told me about a play she was doing in week 0. I thought it might have just been a polite way of telling her she wasn't good enough, but apparently it exists!

As soon as you're over the first 500 hurdle (or on to page 2) it'll all start flowing. Blank screens are scary!

Ben
Reply 17
295 and I hope I'm making sense.. I think I will try and get to sleep now and pick it up tomorrow (needs to be in at 11.30)
Reply 18
blissy
295 and I hope I'm making sense.. I think I will try and get to sleep now and pick it up tomorrow (needs to be in at 11.30)

lol...ahh cmon, don't be such a wimp. Take a few shots of whisky, a can of red bull, and do an allnighter! Seriously, it'll all start to flow then.
Reply 19
How goes it, Hildabeast?

Latest

Trending

Trending