The Student Room Group

UEA (Norwich) Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

I you've AS Biology grade B (and yet predicted A at A2) is it a bit risky to apply here??? (assuming other aspects of application are ok?)
Original post by UEAMedic
You'll have to find out what your predicted A2 levels are to see if you'll be able to apply - it'll need to be AAA. Obviously you'll need to have sat the UKCAT before you apply. As long as you have a minimum of 6 GCSE's at grade A (including, maths, English & Science) then you can apply.

The A104 course has specific social criteria that need to be met in order to apply. If you're academics meet the minimum entry criteria for A100 then you won't be considered.

There's no way really of telling what your chances are without realistic A2 predictions and a UKCAT result.

Can you tell me what are the social criteria?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 42
Original post by OneGirlInAmillion
Can you tell me what are the social criteria?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

They are on the Norwich medical school website.
Reply 43
Original post by EternalDoom
:awesome: UCAS APPLICATION FORM SENT WOOT! :awesome:

Best of luck! :biggrin:
Reply 44
Hi, Im an international student doing IB. hmm yea, apparently I screwed up my UKCAT, got 580 average. So worried, don't know where to apply T-T

I know this is a very overused question, but I still need to ask. hmm, what's my chance of getting ing?

So, basically I got 7 A*s, 1A and 1B. So the B is English, but I got A* in Eng Lit. and i dont know my IB predicted yet, but should be about 42-44.

The thing is, a lot of unis put more weightings on GCSE rather than IB predicted, but my IB predicted is much better than my GCSE. So sad T-T and I got B in Eng as well, so I dont know whether I can get in, and I don't have many choices now. Help.

So I got B in English, is there any chance i can still get in???? or it's completely cut-off?
Reply 45
Original post by yayah917
Hi, Im an international student doing IB. hmm yea, apparently I screwed up my UKCAT, got 580 average. So worried, don't know where to apply T-T

I know this is a very overused question, but I still need to ask. hmm, what's my chance of getting ing?

So, basically I got 7 A*s, 1A and 1B. So the B is English, but I got A* in Eng Lit. and i dont know my IB predicted yet, but should be about 42-44.

The thing is, a lot of unis put more weightings on GCSE rather than IB predicted, but my IB predicted is much better than my GCSE. So sad T-T and I got B in Eng as well, so I dont know whether I can get in, and I don't have many choices now. Help.

So I got B in English, is there any chance i can still get in???? or it's completely cut-off?

They accept B in English Language if you have a minimum A in English Literature, so you'd be fine from that aspect because I also have a B in English Language myself. For the UKCAT, most candidates have a score around 600-700, but its not the main deciding factor, UEA kinda looks at the whole application when shortlisting candidates.
I'm not sure if there's a seperate thread for the foundation course, but I'm applying to the BM6 course at UEA and I was wondering what their policy for resits was?

I got ABCC (Sociology, Psych & Chem/Bio) but I'm considering resitting my full AS levels in Biology & Chemistry alongside my A2 programme during my second year as long as it'll still fit in with the resit policy...:confused:
Hi everyone, I'm Jess :smile:

I'm 100% applying here I love UEA! I live just 40 mins away as well which is a bonus! I've already done 3 A levels A*AB in Biology, Psychology and English Lit - am now taking AS and A2 Chemistry at sixth form in 1 year (I know, I must be mad! :tongue:)

I have a really late ukcat as there's only 1 test centre in my area - not until next Tuesday 25th. How did everyone find theirs?

:smile:
Original post by KaylNicholson
I'm not sure if there's a seperate thread for the foundation course, but I'm applying to the BM6 course at UEA and I was wondering what their policy for resits was?

I got ABCC (Sociology, Psych & Chem/Bio) but I'm considering resitting my full AS levels in Biology & Chemistry alongside my A2 programme during my second year as long as it'll still fit in with the resit policy...:confused:

Hello there! If you give them an email they will let you know what to do in your situation. To be honest they might advise you to apply for the standard A100 course, that's what they did with me - I got ABC in my AS Levels but really brought it up for A2 :smile:
Original post by i'm the daddy!
I you've AS Biology grade B (and yet predicted A at A2) is it a bit risky to apply here??? (assuming other aspects of application are ok?)

I would say no go for it, UEA are actually one of the nicer ones in terms of resits and everything, and it's the predicted they will focus on :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by KaylNicholson

You cannot apply to the A104 course if you've done resits. Resit candidates are not considered for this course. If you resit you can apply to the A100 course but you would need to get A*A if you are resitting both chemistry and biology.
Reply 51
Original post by jessica.thomas
Hi everyone, I'm Jess :smile:

I'm 100% applying here I love UEA! I live just 40 mins away as well which is a bonus! I've already done 3 A levels A*AB in Biology, Psychology and English Lit - am now taking AS and A2 Chemistry at sixth form in 1 year (I know, I must be mad! :tongue:)

I have a really late ukcat as there's only 1 test centre in my area - not until next Tuesday 25th. How did everyone find theirs?

:smile:

Welcome :smile:
UKCAT went well, just remember to relax :smile:
How come you've already done 3 A levels? (Great grades by the way), are you a reapplicant?
Reply 52
They accept B in English Language if you have a minimum A in English Literature, so you'd be fine from that aspect because I also have a B in English Language myself. For the UKCAT, most candidates have a score around 600-700, but its not the main deciding factor, UEA kinda looks at the whole application when shortlisting candidates.

ok thank you. Do you know how is GCSE and IB predicted considered? it says on website that more weighting would be put onto A2 predicted, so what about IB, is it the same? because my IB predicted is way better than my GCSE.

and hows academics balanced with non-academics, PS and reference? for example, Bristol looks at PS and reference as 80% so what about UEA?
Original post by UEAMedic
You cannot apply to the A104 course if you've done resits. Resit candidates are not considered for this course. If you resit you can apply to the A100 course but you would need to get A*A if you are resitting both chemistry and biology.

Do you know what the application statistics are for Medicine at UEA. E.g. how many applicants last year, how many interviewed, how many given offers and how many accepted in September?

Thanks.
Reply 54
Original post by jessica.thomas
I would say no go for it, UEA are actually one of the nicer ones in terms of resits and everything, and it's the predicted they will focus on :smile:

hey guys,
I got cccd in my as levels first year round coz i was a bit retarded and didnt focus how i should have.. :frown: biology chem drama and d in maths
anyway I resat my as year and got AAAA this time round and did psychology not drama this time

im just really worried that no unis are gonna even give me a chance :frown: i mean brighton seemed to be the only one i got a kinda positive reply from but i dunno... anyone know anyone who has got an offer/in resitting the year? or which unis seem to be most leniant with it ? :frown:
Reply 55
Original post by Jammie Dodgers
Do you know what the application statistics are for Medicine at UEA. E.g. how many applicants last year, how many interviewed, how many given offers and how many accepted in September?

Thanks.

I can't remember how many applications there were last year, but the interviews and offers are always the same (give or take); 500-ish interviews, ~240 offers for 130 home places.
Reply 56
i know you guys are probably tired of people asking "am i good enough to get in" but i'm gonna ask anyway :P my gcse's are 4A*s 7As, my AS grades are...
chem-B
French-A
Maths-B
Biology-A
however i am predicted 3A's in bio, chem and maths. I did my ukcat today and it was not good, 2450 (612.5 average) D: I have lots of work experience, i've been to 3-4 hospitals each for 2 weeks and i've volunteered at a care home for a year. My personal statement is pretty good (according to my tutor and other teachers) and i have a decent reference. I know my ukcat lets me down but do you reckon its worth me applying or would i get rejected straight away? any help would be much appreciated!
Reply 57
Hi wonder if anyone can help. Currently in gap year and wanting to apply to UEA for medicine

Stats: GCSE - 7A*, 3A
AS - AAAb
A2 [achieved] - AAA, Biology, Chemistry, History

eight weeks shadowing doctors in hospital
One week GP Practice
Couple of hours over weekends volunteering in care home
Gap year - working in admin in local hospital

Will be sitting UKCAT next week
Is this ok for UEA?
Thanks
:awesome: UCAS APPLICATION FORM SENT WOOT! :awesome:

Just a follow up from the UKCAT thread, but good luck on your application!
Original post by A_C
Welcome :smile:
UKCAT went well, just remember to relax :smile:
How come you've already done 3 A levels? (Great grades by the way), are you a reapplicant?

Glad it went well for you :smile: I'll try my best to relax haha!
I'm someone who didn't really think about medicine seriously until about a year or so ago, so am now a 'Year 14' at my sixth form just taking Chemistry as I didn't do it beforehand :smile: And thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending