The Student Room Group

How to 'get over' a university?

So as most of us know, it's almost getting to that time where university offers start to come in.

I wanted to use this thread as a sort of tool to prepare myself for some of the disappointments that might well occur when responses from universities come back to me. I don't believe that ANY of my universities are a guaranteed acceptance, so I would be really grateful for replies. :smile:

So... if anyone has any stories/experiences/advice to do with 'getting over' a university that you really liked, it would be amazing if you could share! What made you settle for something that was perhaps not your first choice? What made you realise that perhaps your favourite university that rejected you wasn't right for you after all?

Thanks so much for any responses! :biggrin:
ffs cross that bridge when you come to it and concentrate on more important things.
Reply 2
Same. :redface:

Going to start my PS today. :biggrin:
Only on tsr. :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Looking around a few threads on here, a few people have sent their application off already!
As for offers, there's a few offer threads but not many posts...

Think even the uni's find that one a bit early lol.
Reply 5
Dude, it's 10:30 on a Sunday - why is this on your mind? Chill out a little bit, whatever happens.. happens! Think of your heart!
Reply 6
Original post by Rainbows!
Looking around a few threads on here, a few people have sent their application off already!
As for offers, there's a few offer threads but not many posts...

Think even the uni's find that one a bit early lol.

Oxbridge and medicine/dentistry deadlines are much earlier, plus some colleges, etc have internal deadlines to get things done.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Iqbal007
Oxbridge and medicine/dentistry deadlines are much earlier, plus some colleges, etc have internal deadlines to get things done.

Aha I was aware of that, I just felt this was aimed more at the other applicants lol.:rolleyes:
Reply 8
I know me too!!!
I saw this and nearly crapped my pants! lol
Reply 9
I received four rejections last year (stoopid medical schools :frown: ) and i can tell you that the first 1 or 2 aren't that bad as you are just like, oh well, hopefully i'll get an offer else where. Then when the third one comes through you are like oh god no :frown: wahhhh. By the time your 4th comes arrives you'll have already convinced yourself you aren't getting in so you are like... oh well :/ i saw it coming.

Obviously this probably wont happen to you. I imagine that the majority of people on TSR wont receive quite so many rejection and you'll find that it is a little disappointing but it's not like losing a loved one or anything. You'll get over just fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by adieu
So as most of us know, it's almost getting to that time where university offers start to come in.

I wanted to use this thread as a sort of tool to prepare myself for some of the disappointments that might well occur when responses from universities come back to me. I don't believe that ANY of my universities are a guaranteed acceptance, so I would be really grateful for replies. :smile:

So... if anyone has any stories/experiences/advice to do with 'getting over' a university that you really liked, it would be amazing if you could share! What made you settle for something that was perhaps not your first choice? What made you realise that perhaps your favourite university that rejected you wasn't right for you after all?

Thanks so much for any responses! :biggrin:

I felt like this when I applied last year. -.- My first choice was Oriel College, Oxford and I wanted nothing more than to study there. It was all I thought about and I couldn't imagine studying anywhere else. I mean, I applied to other universities (UCL, Southampton, Reading, Sussex and Buckingham) and adored them all, but my heart was set on Oxford.

When I didn't get in, I was heartbroken. I'd applied to Oxford surrounded with all the Oxbridge hype at sixth form (everyone expected people to get into Oxbridge - if you didn't, you were made to feel like a complete idiot, which didn't help, really.) and I was absolutely devastated when I didn't get a place.

But you know, there wasn't exactly anything I could do. All I could do was decide my first and second choice (Southampton and Buckingham) and try to placate myself with the thought that I could do Postgrad at Oxford, that it would be fine. And, to be honest, it is. I've started at Southampton now and I absolutely love it - everyone is lovely, the professors and really enthusiastic and they have a real passion for their subject and I'm having a great time.

I still do hope to do Postgrad work at Oxford, but I'm really happy where I am. I think what I had to do was just remind myself that it wasn't the be all and end all, and that a first is a first wherever it's from, and yeah. It's hard, and it can be disappointing (I was really disappointed in myself, and felt like I'd let everyone down. Especially my parents, despite the fact that they were really supportive.) but it's okay. And, if you don't get in this year, you can always take a gap year and re-apply next time. (:
Most applicants won't get offers for a long time yet. I applied to UCAS last year but cancelled my offers, my first offer came in January, my last offer in April. My application was sent off in October.
Reply 12
I got two offers before October, at which point I didn't really care as much if the others rejected me.
Reply 13
I'm dreading the wait for offers/rejections after I send my application off, it's going to be hell. :frown:
This, I got worried when the OP said 'its almost time' ... I havnt even drafted my PS yet!
Reply 15
Guys, I just wanted to apologise in case I freaked anyone out (well actually I'm completely aware that I did freak some people out as I've just read some of the replies!) When I said 'almost time', I wasn't thinking in terms of a couple of weeks, but more within the next 6 months or so. :smile:

I actually posted this to freak people out LESS so that when the time comes I (and some other people) might be able to put the whole thing into perspective.

But yeah I'm really sorry if some of you were scared out of their wits because of this! :biggrin:
Reply 16
I'm not sure how to 'get over' unis :P

But I think if you applied for the Unis in the first place then it must be something that attracted you to them (or at lest you think they are decent) ... so not all bad maybe?

Although yeah everyone has their favorites.... good luck! :smile:)
Offers do start rolling in pretty quickly from many universities. There is never one uni that is absolutely right for you and the good news is that you will most likely love the university that you end up going to. Most people do. Work hard this year and you'll stand a better chance of going to your first choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending