The Student Room Group

Who on Here has a 2.2 Degree and how has it affected getting a job?

Anyone??
My boyfriend got a 2:2 and got a great job at Sony.. the guy on my course who got a 'pass' got a great job as a trainee investment manager and is probably earning more than any of the other graduates from my class (in fairness, a high proportion of my class have gone on to do post-grad study).

Its not all bad news.
Reply 2
With a 2:2 it's all about connections. The only people I know who have done well with 2:2's have done them in "stronger" subjects, did well at school but most importantly knew the right people.

Better connections > Better Degree

Fact of life I'm afraid.
Most jobs don't ask for a degree...

The 2.1 or first is only important if you wish to continue onto post grad study or apply for grad schemes as nearly all of them have a 2.1 filter in place.

Even then you could potentially do an masters with a 2.2 depending on unit grades and the uni's flexibility.
Reply 4
Original post by graduate123
if your looking for a job create an account at grad diary, they can help you with finding a job and on each companie's page u can see what qualifications are needed
its great
you can also try milkround however grad diary has many more profiles (over 300)

Although these sites are good, what I would recommend is to use it as a starting point. Pin point the best opportunities for you, then do your own research and find a contact name you can try and build a relationship with.

You could maybe find an email address through the company website, use linkedin or facebook, but try and build a rapport with someone of influence at the company you wish to work for. Ask them for their "expert" opinion on something related to their field. People love being seen as important enough for you to single them out with such attention.

If It's possible try and set up a face to face meeting and you will have a great chance to impress them. Subtly hint towards your career goals and if you've followed the previous steps correctly hopefully they will mention their grad scheme and will ask you to send them your CV etc. Most people in senior positions like being seen as mentors to young ambitious people looking to make their mark.

Don't just apply through some generic online application if possible. 99% of these applications go straight in the bin. You want someone on the inside doing your bidding for you.
Reply 5
To be honest...I'm worried about it. As a law grad I have 2:2 and its just so detrimental towards a training contract. However I'm not giving up at all decided to get more work experience hell even legal jobs as I've worked before in a legal department. Its tough as you have to really narrow down your choices, do make connections have some more extra curricular activities or interests. Its a matter of being realistic, I know there is little point in applying to a top city law firm so I set my sights on high street practices or even smaller firms for a training contract. Its doable its just a matter of adapting to your situation. So my plan in the long run is due to some experience I can at least apply for paralegal or just a legal assistant role for a while to get a better feel for the profession while applying for TCs.
Reply 6
I think using a site like Grad Diary is a good starting point, obviously you cannot use it for everything but it does help you decide where might be suitable to consider and their filter for seeing if you need a 2:1 is handy. I think the best way to get a sense of the more detailed info you need will only really be found on the company websites

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending