The Student Room Group

Can you drop out of university at anytime?

I want to drop out of my course with less than two months left of my three year degree.

Can I do this?

Scroll to see replies

You have come so far. Why would you want to drop out at this stage?
Original post by Anonymous
I want to drop out of my course with less than two months left of my three year degree.

Can I do this?

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are not looking to continue with your course. You are not required at all to finish the year and can drop out at any point however, with only two months left it may be worth discussing whether this is for sure what you want to do when you’re so close to the finish line. I would recommend talking to your university’s services, whether that be well-being, student offices, tutor etc to discuss why you would like to drop out and what can be done about it.

Hope you figure it all out,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Original post by Kutie Karen
You have come so far. Why would you want to drop out at this stage?

Severe mental illness and the possibility of getting a 2:2.
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are not looking to continue with your course. You are not required at all to finish the year and can drop out at any point however, with only two months left it may be worth discussing whether this is for sure what you want to do when you’re so close to the finish line. I would recommend talking to your university’s services, whether that be well-being, student offices, tutor etc to discuss why you would like to drop out and what can be done about it.

Hope you figure it all out,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Thanks
Reply 4
Yes, but even a 2ii is better than nothing at all.
Original post by gjd800
Yes, but even a 2ii is better than nothing at all.

I would rather drop out than end up with a 2:2, my family and friends will ridicule me for it
Reply 6
I would rather drop out than end up with a 2:2, my family and friends will ridicule me for it

Really? That is very cruel.
Original post by gjd800
Really? That is very cruel.

They will. I am sure of it
Speak to your tutor/course leader asap.
You may still be able to organise an interruption of studies so that you could still return to finish your degree in a year or two when you're in a better place mentally.
Even if you know you don't want to complete in your current uni, you should still talk to them as they'll be able to give you info/advice about the best way to go about things and if any of your credits can be transferred etc.
They may even be able to provide you with reassurance and support to ensure that you can still finish with the grades you want.
Apart from anything else, they should also be able to help you with pastoral and other stuff outside of your studies.
I want to drop out I'm 1st year and the social side is crap
Original post by HousesInCork
Speak to your tutor/course leader asap.
You may still be able to organise an interruption of studies so that you could still return to finish your degree in a year or two when you're in a better place mentally.
Even if you know you don't want to complete in your current uni, you should still talk to them as they'll be able to give you info/advice about the best way to go about things and if any of your credits can be transferred etc.
They may even be able to provide you with reassurance and support to ensure that you can still finish with the grades you want.
Apart from anything else, they should also be able to help you with pastoral and other stuff outside of your studies.

I have tried this and they do not care.
Original post by My names Jeff
I want to drop out I'm 1st year and the social side is crap

I am in the 3rd year so my situation is a bit different to yours.
I have tried this and they do not care.

I'm sorry that you've not found your tutor/course leader supportive.
Have you tried reaching out to your student union, other support services, or another teacher you get on well with?
They're there to support you and can help advocate for you in these kinds of situations.
They will. I am sure of it

Then your friends aren’t your friends and your family is toxic.

finish your degree and then find new friends and break contact with your toxic family.

or - just don’t tell them your degree classification. They’re not your employers so they don’t need to know.

Can I do this?

You can but it would be a real shame to do it now with what 6 weeks left (two weeks of lectures 4 weeks of exams) if that. You might as well stick it out it’s not that long in the grand scheme of things.
Don't drop out now, you'll be effectively devaluing all the effort you have put into the course thus far.

Surely they'd ridicule you more for spending all that time and money then dropping out so close to the end... and you might not end up with a 2.2 anyway
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Surely they'd ridicule you more for spending all that time and money then dropping out so close to the end... and you might not end up with a 2.2 anyway

Maybe. I certainly won't if this assignment ends up killing me off.
Severe mental illness and the possibility of getting a 2:2.

Thanks

I do feel for you. 2;2 is still ok and you have really come so far if you have also been struggling with other things. You may regret it if drop out n now especially as you have come so far and spent all that money and effort. Really wishing you the best whatever you decide. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Kutie Karen
I do feel for you. 2;2 is still ok and you have really come so far if you have also been struggling with other things. You may regret it if drop out n now especially as you have come so far and spent all that money and effort. Really wishing you the best whatever you decide. Good luck :smile:

A 2:2 is basically worthless and my parents will abuse me for it. So no it is not 'okay' or acceptable.
A 2:2 is basically worthless and my parents will abuse me for it. So no it is not 'okay' or acceptable.

Reallly so sorry to hear that. Are your parents aware of the problems you are going through?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending