The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pinacoladee
Oh wow, that really impressive! And makes me doubt myself even more... Anyway, where did you decide to go then?

I got offers but decided to reapply - I'm applying to Oxford for Classics this year, amongst other unis.
Reply 41
Would A* A* A* A* A A A A B be acceptable? The B is in the ridiculous (compulsory) long-course welsh GCSE. Would being able to say "Dydw I ddim yn siarad Gymraeg" impress them? *sarcasm*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lordjord96
Would A* A* A* A* A A A A B be acceptable? The B is in the ridiculous (compulsory) long-course welsh GCSE. Would being able to say "Dydw I ddim yn siarad Gymraeg" impress them? *sarcasm*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be okay, with good AS.

I have to do short course welsh :rolleyes: exam in 2 weeks :afraid:

You can't say that in Welsh, it contradicts itself :wink:
Reply 43
Was just reading through this thread, and I have to point out that for engineering, Cambridge see GCSEs irrelevant. Great GCSEs don't show any correlation with doing well at Cambridge for Engineering. They look for AS UMS scores and on average it should be in the mid 90s, as they see that AS scores are a better indicator for doing well at uni.

That said, I may have good GCSE grades, but my AS UMS average so far is rubbish! :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
I'm currently a second year, so obviously what was true when I was applying may now be a little bit out of date. However, at the open day talk at the college I'm now at, the admissions guy told us that the college interviews everybody with 4A*s at GCSE and 3 As (ie 80%) at AS. It seems to vary from college to college, but at least for some, I think GCSEs are unlikely to 'break' your application if all the other areas are exceptional. They may, however, help to 'make' the application if your GCSEs are great and, for example, your ASs aren't stunning. I did 5 academic ASs, all of which were As, but only one was over 90%, but I also had 9A*s and an A at GCSE which (perhaps) helped to mitigate as I received a straight offer (ie not pooled).
Reply 45
Original post by Becca :)
I'm currently a second year, so obviously what was true when I was applying may now be a little bit out of date. However, at the open day talk at the college I'm now at, the admissions guy told us that the college interviews everybody with 4A*s at GCSE and 3 As (ie 80%) at AS. It seems to vary from college to college, but at least for some, I think GCSEs are unlikely to 'break' your application if all the other areas are exceptional. They may, however, help to 'make' the application if your GCSEs are great and, for example, your ASs aren't stunning. I did 5 academic ASs, all of which were As, but only one was over 90%, but I also had 9A*s and an A at GCSE which (perhaps) helped to mitigate as I received a straight offer (ie not pooled).

Do you mind saying if you did Maths And Further Maths and what you got in these subjetcs?
Reply 46
Original post by GMT
Do you mind saying if you did Maths And Further Maths and what you got in these subjetcs?

I did Maths, but not Further, at A level and got an A overall - on application I had C1 97/100, C2 72/100, S1 90/100. I resat C2 in Jan and brought it up to 95/100. My A2 mods were: C3 86/100 (I think, it was definitely mid-80s), C4 89/100, M1 78/100. I am studying law though, so exactly what I got in Maths modules may not have been scrutinised as much as if I was studying Maths/NatSci/Engineering. Why do you ask? If you're applying for Maths, your modular marks are going to be more important than if you're not, and you'll have to take STEP in y13 too (I'm pretty sure all colleges use STEP).
Reply 47
Original post by Becca :)
I did Maths, but not Further, at A level and got an A overall - on application I had C1 97/100, C2 72/100, S1 90/100. I resat C2 in Jan and brought it up to 95/100. My A2 mods were: C3 86/100 (I think, it was definitely mid-80s), C4 89/100, M1 78/100. I am studying law though, so exactly what I got in Maths modules may not have been scrutinised as much as if I was studying Maths/NatSci/Engineering. Why do you ask? If you're applying for Maths, your modular marks are going to be more important than if you're not, and you'll have to take STEP in y13 too (I'm pretty sure all colleges use STEP).

I intend to study Economics, which I've heard is very mathematically based and therefore I need exceptionally good maths grades. However, my S1 mark is going to really pull my maths grade down. My pure maths exams went really well I expect 90% on it, however S1 went really bad (I left 20% of the paper undone, therefore I'm expecting between 60% and 75% in stats; which would pull my average down to around 80%)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by GMT
I intend to study Economics, which I've heard is very mathematically based and therefore I need exceptionally good maths grades. However, my S1 mark is going to really pull my maths grade down. My pure maths exams went really well I expect 90% on it, however S1 went really bad (I left 20% of the paper undone, therefore I'm expecting between 60% and 75% in stats; which would pull my average down to around 80%)

You have to declare your percentage marks on the SAQ, so I imagine having 2 high mods and one lower mod is likely to look better than them all be around 80?? That way it shows you have the ability to score highly, but perhaps just had a bad exam in one module. Also, remember that a not particularly high raw mark can often equate to a much higher ums depending on how hard the paper was!! If you've had a bad exam, just try and put it behind you and focus you more for the rest of your exams and try not to dwell on it as there's nothing else you can do about it right now! Best of luck for the rest of your exams :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by The Polymath
As I said, there is of course a limit.

I told a Cambridge tutor that I had 5 A*s, and he was like "ahhh, they're... okay" so I could tell that they do at least unofficially place some weighting on your GCSEs - with no A*s things don't look great at all. Take a peek at the Stalking Page and you won't find anyone who got in with that sort of set of GCSEs.

However, it may just be correlation - if you couldn't even get 1 A* at GCSE, the chances are that you will find AS-level impossible to don. That said, I know someone who got 2-3 A*s at GCSE, but then keened it 24/7 for his AS-levels (and I mean keened - like, non stop work) and ended up with 96, 95, 93, 87 or something like that.

did he get in?
Original post by JPL9457
did he get in?

No, he didn't get in, but I doubt it would have been because of his GCSEs, since his AS-level performance was very good.
Reply 51
No, he didn't get in, but I doubt it would have been because of his GCSEs, since his AS-level performance was very good.

did he go somewhere else that was very good?

what gcses did you get?
Original post by JPL9457
did he go somewhere else that was very good?

what gcses did you get?

He went to Edinburgh :yes: (which was his second choice after Cambridge)

I got 5 A*s, 5 As.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sarah.102
Hypothetically speaking, if say someone got straight As at GCSE but a 95+ UMS average at AS would they stand a good chance or average because of a lack of A*s at GCSE?

Honestly I wouldn't let that stop you applying - My GCSEs were 2A* 6 As, 1 B, and got 95+ UMS average at AS and still got in. If you aren't applying to a super competitive course and you have a great reference/great ps then you should get an interview and if you show passion/ability through the interview and tests you may still get a place.

Lots of people will have 10 A* but if they appear spoon fed or unable to think critically for themselves Cambridge won't take them. Anyway there is not harm in applying!
Reply 54
He went to Edinburgh :yes:

I got 5 A*s, 5 As.

when you said he worked 24/7, do you mean since day one or when it came to the exams?

what other unis did you apply to?
Original post by JPL9457
when you said he worked 24/7, do you mean since day one or when it came to the exams?

what other unis did you apply to?

Not literally 24/7 :colondollar: but he certainly worked hard throughout the year for AS- and A-levels which paid off with some great results and comfortably secured his place at Edinburgh. I'm not saying you need to do the same, as it's clear that we all learn in very different ways, recall different amounts from lessons and have different levels of discipline. I'm just saying that low GCSE grades aren't the end of the world if you think you can put more effort in for sixth form, and that vast improvement are certainly possible if you take the right approach. :yes:

My other applications were to UCL, Durham, Nottingham and Exeter :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Not literally 24/7 :colondollar: but he certainly worked hard throughout the year for AS- and A-levels which paid off with some great results and comfortably secured his place at Edinburgh. I'm not saying you need to do the same, as it's clear that we all learn in very different ways, recall different amounts from lessons and have different levels of discipline. I'm just saying that low GCSE grades aren't the end of the world if you think you can put more effort in for sixth form, and that vast improvement are certainly possible if you take the right approach. :yes:

My other applications were to UCL, Durham, Nottingham and Exeter :smile:

what is he studying?
what are you studying, i am guessing maths? if so, why didn't you apply to imperial and warwick
Original post by JPL9457
what is he studying?
what are you studying, i am guessing maths? if so, why didn't you apply to imperial and warwick

He's doing Linguistics :smile:

I'm doing Economics (which has loads of maths to keep me more than happy) and Modern Languages, which is why I ruled out Imperial and Warwick as they didn't offer a suitable course.

Had I not wanted to study languages I would definitely have applied to Warwick though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
Not as important as AS UMS marks - Cambridge arguably care less about GCSEs than any others out of the top 5-6.
That said, they will judge you a little on them - I told a tutor than I had 5 A*s and he was like "mehh", shrugging with a sort of disdained look on his face :tongue:

1) If you do WELL at AS (like 90+ at least), then as long as you have 3-4 A*s at GCSE, and the rest As (maybe a B) then your GCSEs won't hold you back.

2) If you don't do well, they might turn to your GCSEs and judge you on them instead.

That said, take a look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Cambridge_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry, filter by GCSE results, and note how few people get in with less than 4-5 A*s minimum. Those who do tend to be those applying through "CSAS" (special circumstances).

you stated (maybe a B), in my GCSEs, to be fair, I should have worked harder for certain subjects, I got 7A*s 3As a B and a C: The B being in french and the C in Physical Education haha! Surely that shouldn't have that much of an impact on my application next year when I apply for Economics?
Original post by Alex_Aits
you stated (maybe a B), in my GCSEs, to be fair, I should have worked harder for certain subjects, I got 7A*s 3As a B and a C: The B being in french and the C in Physical Education haha! Surely that shouldn't have that much of an impact on my application next year when I apply for Economics?

Nope, I have similar results (8,6,1,1) with photography being the C and applying for Physical NatSci. They weren't to be an issue!

Latest

Trending

Trending