The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Can I repeat my second year?

Hi. I am in my last year of uni and I would really like to repeat my second year.
Who do I speak to? Is this possible?

Basically, I my marks for the second year were 2.1 2.2 (58) 2.2 (59) for first semester and my second semester was study abroad.
My first year marks were 1, 1, 2.1, 2.1, 2.1, 2.1, 2.1.

I would need a 2.1 for my furture career. So I would like to repeat the second year in order to get a 2.1 average. What action should I take?

Many thanks
Original post by hellohelllo
Hi. I am in my last year of uni and I would really like to repeat my second year.

Basically, I my marks for the second year were 2.1 2.2 (58) 2.2 (59) for first semester and my second semester was study abroad.

I would need a 2.1 for my furture career. So I would like to repeat the second year in order to get a 2.1 average. What action should I take?

Many thanks

I am not sure you can unless you extenuating circumstances. But look your grades are fairly good - if you work your socks off for the last year you can achieve even a first. I know someone who failed his second year and ended up with a 2.1
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm a bit confused.

I'm assuming that your first year results don't count towards your final degree classification.

The 2.2's you have scored in your second year are very boderline. There's no need to repeat the year at all, just score high 60's throughout your final year and you should average a comfortable 2:1. Repeating a year will just add extra stress, debt and seems totally overkill given your marks.
Original post by hellohelllo

Many thanks

You have no immediate right to resit the year, it's at the discretion of the registrar and your head of faculty, and they will not allow it without exceptional circumstances ("because I want to" will not be sufficient).

Rather than resit the year, could you discuss with your head of faculty about just resitting the exams from the 2:2 modules?

Also - are your second & third years weighted equally? At my uni they did (2nd + 3rd)/2, and (2nd +3rd +3rd)/3, and awarded you the better grade. If your uni does value your 3rd year more heavily, then you could make up the difference without resitting anything.

Hell, you could do that if they're equal value and you just get a single 1st or good 2:1 result, 58 & 59 aren't exactly miles from a 2:1.
(edited 11 years ago)
Very unlikely. Universities dont want 'endless' students who are constantly retaking and the '3 years' is the whole principle of all students being judged the same way (ie. why should those without the finance to retake be effectively disadvantaged?).

Talk to your Personal Tutor or Head of Dept, but you have to face the real possibility that you have already blown any chance of atop class degree.
Reply 5
thanks for your replies. very much appreciated
Yes, you can, but have a talk with your course supervisor to discuss your options. I know a few people on my course who are repeating their second year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending