The Student Room Group

University help

i’m in a messy situation atm, so basically i kind of basically failed 2nd year due to stress of being at home and not having close uni friends and kinda ruined my experience. Now my family gaslighting me telling me to stay home to save money, but im ******* young man. I’m 20 and i can’t ****in concentrate at home, and its boring af. Now my only option is to move uni and repeat second year. What would you advise me?
Original post by Anonymous
i’m in a messy situation atm, so basically i kind of basically failed 2nd year due to stress of being at home and not having close uni friends and kinda ruined my experience. Now my family gaslighting me telling me to stay home to save money, but im ******* young man. I’m 20 and i can’t ****in concentrate at home, and its boring af. Now my only option is to move uni and repeat second year. What would you advise me?

I can understand why you might need to repeat you second year (assuming that you can't scrape a pass by resitting some second year exams), but why does it need to be in a different university? Is that simply to get some distance between yourself and your family?

Also, what does "i kind of basically failed" mean? Is that different to "failed"? Or are you saying that you didn't actually fail, but want to retake the year anyway?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I can understand why you might need to repeat you second year (assuming that you can't scrape a pass by resitting some second year exams), but why does it need to be in a different university? Is that simply to get some distance between yourself and your family?

Also, what does "i kind of basically failed" mean? Is that different to "failed"? Or are you saying that you didn't actually fail, but want to retake the year anyway?

ik i have failes because i couldnt do the last assignments due to mental health
ik i have failes because i couldnt do the last assignments due to mental health

OK. That still leaves two questions:

1. Do you need to retake the entire year due to "the last assignments" being missed or not done? Are there zero opportunities to be reassessed? Many universities will allow to to fail one module (by up to 10%) if the rest of your performance is OK. If they don't, there'll normally be opportunities to re-do the missed assessments over summer (often in August). It's easy to look-up the rules if you feel comfortable naming the university.

2. If you do need to retake second year, why would it need to be at a different university?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
OK. That still leaves two questions:

1. Do you need to retake the entire year due to "the last assignments" being missed or not done? Are there zero opportunities to be reassessed? Many universities will allow to to fail one module (by up to 10%) if the rest of your performance is OK. If they don't, there'll normally be opportunities to re-do the missed assessments over summer (often in August). It's easy to look-up the rules if you feel comfortable naming the university.

2. If you do need to retake second year, why would it need to be at a different university?

because i dont have friends at this uni and its making my mental health a living hell.
because i dont have friends at this uni and its making my mental health a living hell.

OK. Understood. From your original message, I thought that was one of the reasons you'd failed second year ("i kind of basically failed 2nd year due to stress of being at home and not having close uni friends") rather than the reason you wanted to change university.

Is there something about the university you're at that means it's difficult to make friends there? Or it down to the "being at home" thing, do you think?
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending