The Student Room Group

SFE paying me for a maintenance loan even though I’m not studying this semester

Hello,

I have rung student finance and my university about this, my university said this issue has been sorted but it has not. Student finance said they can’t do anything about it until they hear from the uni…

But basically I re-sat my second semester of second year September-December. Now I have to wait until September 2024 to start my second year. But in the mean time I am technically not studying and student finance are still sending me maintenance money as if I am currently studying. It’s stressing me out that neither my uni or SFE seem to know what’s going on. I don’t want to keep ahold of this money if they are inevitably going to turn around and say they made a mistake and expect me to pay up 2 grand. Obviously I’ll just keep it safe in my savings and not spend it but I’d rather they just didn’t send it to me in the first place.
Original post by Livm3g2109
Hello,

I have rung student finance and my university about this, my university said this issue has been sorted but it has not. Student finance said they can’t do anything about it until they hear from the uni…

But basically I re-sat my second semester of second year September-December. Now I have to wait until September 2024 to start my second year. But in the mean time I am technically not studying and student finance are still sending me maintenance money as if I am currently studying. It’s stressing me out that neither my uni or SFE seem to know what’s going on. I don’t want to keep ahold of this money if they are inevitably going to turn around and say they made a mistake and expect me to pay up 2 grand. Obviously I’ll just keep it safe in my savings and not spend it but I’d rather they just didn’t send it to me in the first place.

Hi there,

For the resit, did your university notify us via their Change of Circumstances you were just repeating 1 term? If they did not then your application would most likely be approved for a full Academic Year which can enable you to receive 3x Maintenance Loan instalments and 3x Tuition Fee payments would be made if your university confirmed your Attendance for all 3 terms. Do you know if the university sent this to us to confirm you're doing a part year repeat?
Thanks, Ross
Hello, my university did not tell SFE I was only resitting for a semester, I was told this when I rang SFE. Thank you for this response though, this will be easier for me to explain to my university as when I have previously explained this issue they couldn’t seem to understand what I was talking about. I will let them know that they need to notify SFE via change of circumstances to let them know I only re-say for a singular term and not a full academic year, as I really don’t want this to affect my funding for third year in September. Thanks again! This was really helpful 😊

It's not a problem at all. If you have any further queries please let us know. Thanks, Ross
Hello, my university did not tell SFE I was only resitting for a semester, I was told this when I rang SFE. Thank you for this response though, this will be easier for me to explain to my university as when I have previously explained this issue they couldn’t seem to understand what I was talking about. I will let them know that they need to notify SFE via change of circumstances to let them know I only re-say for a singular term and not a full academic year, as I really don’t want this to affect my funding for third year in September. Thanks again! This was really helpful 😊

Thank you. Any further questions then do let us know. Thanks, Jason
I’ve yet to receive a response from the university. However, I enquired about this issue in October and they responded saying that in summary, there is no option for them to tell SFE I am studying for a singular semester because I am technically still a full time student on a full time course, so they can only submit me for the full academic year even though I only studied for one semester as a resit. I can see on my SFE application that they are still getting the full tuition fee for the academic year too. Is there a chance this could be the uni lying and trying to get more money out of me/SFE?!

Hi there,

If you are doing a repeat of a year it is called a part year repeat. You can do this at a full time level or part time. Your uni would need to send the 'Repetition Change of Circumstances' to us with the dates you started/ended the repeat and we would assess the application according to the dates provided. Thanks, Ross
Ah right okay. That makes sense, thanks again for your help.

No problem. If you do have any further queries, please do let us know! Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending