The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Trust me its bad.. When you get of the plane you'll see how hot it is. Its like being in an oven. Sometimes its very hard to go out and about because after 5 mins you will be sweating like mad.
As long as the humidity is relatively low...you'll cope alright, but once the humidity is high, your sweating will do nowt to cool you down and its harder to cope!
Reply 3
I've been in 45 degree heat in Egypt, where there's low humidity, and it was still horrible to walk around in. You need to drink constantly and whatever you do don't wear denim!! Saying that I was on a sightseeing holiday, if you're relaxing all the time you won't get as tired, and should acclimatise more quickly.
Reply 4
I've been in 45 degree heats in Death Valley. Not nice, and, to top it all off, my Dad managed to pop the hire car's tyre so we had to change that in the heat - the tyre literally melted to my hand!

If you're out in that sort of heat for more than 15 mins or so, you start feeling very ill. After 15 mins of changing a tyre, I had to drink 4 litres of Gatorade. Imagine walking out of your air-conditioned car and into a hairdryer - that's what it's like!
Reply 5
i've been in 47c. this was in portugal the same day their 'hottest day ever' record was smashed.

that whole week was hot, 45-50, it was insane.

a 'hairdryer' is a good comparison, but it's worse, more like a fan oven.
Reply 6
When I lived abroad school was closed if the temperature reached 50 or above, which was pretty much certain to happen in the summer months.
Since it's expected to get that hot, everything in the country is designed to cope with it. AC everywhere and nothing open around midday when the locals avoid the heat and have a nap. Also, less is not better when it comes to clothing. Light, airy, all over coverings are best (think Arabs).
As a fair-skinned red-head I coped just fine, but I did develop a passionate hate for humidity!
Batman
Im going on holiday this summer with my family and i am sure that temperatures will be up to 50 degrees. Has anyone else experienced that high temperatures?

Where are you off to>?
Reply 8
erk
i've been in 47c. this was in portugal the same day their 'hottest day ever' record was smashed.

Portugal is typically very humid when warm, places like Egypt, Dubai etc have very low humidity and you get used to it after a few days. However, I was in France for a fortnight, for 4 days in a row, it was 39 degrees C, and it was very humid. A rather unpleasant experience.
Reply 9
actually to be honest its Okay but you get sweaty very quickly and tired soonafter :smile:
It's lovely :biggrin: Make the most of it - drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated and you'll have a good time :smile:
Reply 11
45 degrees in Nevada was bad enough. I didn't really go out much...
Reply 12
40-45 in cuba was pretty bad, especially when we walked about a mile at midday. Makes getting irratable very easy.

Also if you go to the beach bring decent sandals, the sand literally burns your feet..
Reply 13
LibertineNorth
45 degrees in Nevada was bad enough. I didn't really go out much...

One of the worst holidays I've had was in Spain when it was 40-45 degrees. The two things I had planned, sunbathing and tennis, I couldn't do! I actually remembering spending most of the days indoors watching Wimbledon, and then only being able to play tennis after 9pm.

Have fun! :smile:
Reply 14
I was on a camping holiday in france. It was in the mountains and temps hit 40c

thing is it was humid and well, we were in tents so there was little escape. No wind whatsoever because of the deep valley.

You do acclimatise to it, its like a hair dryer in the win. Breathing becomes hard work because the air feels hot when you breath it in.

Stay out the sun, wear sensible clothes, don't move much. Drink lots of water.

Go in swimming pools too, thats the best help. Or a cold shower.
It's not too bad, but if you aren't used to it then keep cool as much as possible. Cooling spray and lots of water to avoid dehydration. Stay out of the sun in the afternoon if you can.

I grew up in the middle east so was always used to these sorts of temps where we would walk around on the hot ground barefoot.
Reply 16
It's nicer than -50. Until you're at 50, and then you'd kill for the -50! ;-)

Haven't experienced more than 40, and that was 5-10 more than is 'nice.
erk

Yeah..was in Lisbon and was alright in the morning, but horrid in the afternoon...also spent a week up in the mountains just as the forest fires got going, was fun watching all the planes and helicopters drop water...luckily the wind was blowing away from us...:biggrin:
Reply 18
Well the hottest recorded temperature on Earth is apparently 56.7C. So 50C is pretty hot, if its humid expect to not be able to do very much at all, certainly at midday. If its not humid then you might manage some walks, but don't expect to be running around or anything.
Reply 19
You will find that, much as in extreme cold your body reacts in certain ways to keep a core body temprature, in extreme heat different body processes you wouldn't normally experience occur.

Latest

Trending

Trending