The Student Room Group

Failing uni at the moment

Hello,
I'm currently at a loss in discovering what I can do as I am not doing the best at uni at the moment and completed my 2nd year, at the time of this writing. My situation is that I do not feel motivated to study my course, I don't know if it's because I don't enjoy the course or that I can't seem to understand the information and then lose motivation. It's either I do really well in some parts, getting A and B, and then completely failing the rest. My study plan has always been to start a month or so ahead of the exams (so that I don't have to review all the lectures right before the exam) and review and try to learn a few lectures at a time and once all the lectures are done, I then go do the past paper and tutorials. So is there something wrong with the way I study? I have considered taking a gap year but my parents think that's just a wasted year because that's one year's wage gone when I finish my degree and get a job with that degree (hope this part makes sense). I also considered an apprenticeship but that had its own issues and also didn't sit well with my parents.

Overall, my parents' advice is to either drop out and be poor while working on low wages or to go to uni, get a degree and find a high-paying job. So what I looking for is any advice that might be even the slightest helpful to this. I'm sorry that this is a difficult situation to give advice to but any help will be appreciated. Thank you
Original post by kingfish321
Hello,
I'm currently at a loss in discovering what I can do as I am not doing the best at uni at the moment and completed my 2nd year, at the time of this writing. My situation is that I do not feel motivated to study my course, I don't know if it's because I don't enjoy the course or that I can't seem to understand the information and then lose motivation. It's either I do really well in some parts, getting A and B, and then completely failing the rest. My study plan has always been to start a month or so ahead of the exams (so that I don't have to review all the lectures right before the exam) and review and try to learn a few lectures at a time and once all the lectures are done, I then go do the past paper and tutorials. So is there something wrong with the way I study? I have considered taking a gap year but my parents think that's just a wasted year because that's one year's wage gone when I finish my degree and get a job with that degree (hope this part makes sense). I also considered an apprenticeship but that had its own issues and also didn't sit well with my parents.

Overall, my parents' advice is to either drop out and be poor while working on low wages or to go to uni, get a degree and find a high-paying job. So what I looking for is any advice that might be even the slightest helpful to this. I'm sorry that this is a difficult situation to give advice to but any help will be appreciated. Thank you

Hey,
I am sorry that you are struggling so much right now. University can be very tough and it also sounds like you are under a lot of pressure.
If your studying is currently not working then it is a good idea to experiment and change the way that you study/revise. I would recommend studying throughout the year rather than just leaving it to the month before the exams, and then you will be in a better position when it comes to the exam period. There are also other factors that help your learning such as sleep, nutrition and stress levels, which have a huge impact on exam performance as well - so it may be worth working on these too. There are some good studying motivation and science podcasts etc that can show you effective studying techniques e.g. spaced-repetition and active recall (if you look this up on Youtube you should find some).
Your parents' worries are understandable, but at the end of the day it is your life and your decision, especially if you are working in the gap year and can financially support yourself. You can also take a year out of University at any time, and it is usually quite easy to just slot back into the following year without any added fees - so you can try third year and then make a decision later on. A year is only a very short amount of time relative to the rest of your life, so if you feel it would be beneficial to you, it will not set you back very much in the grand scheme of things.
I hope this has helped somewhat,
Evie (4th year Medic at UoS)
@kingfish321

It might be an idea to try and find some time to talk to your tutor. They might be able to give you some advice and help you understand why you are not doing as well as expected in your assessments. (When you are putting in a lot of work and not seeing the reward for your efforts that can be very de-motivating!)

From your post it sounds like you are motivated but that you get bored by the time assessment/exams come around. Perhaps you are starting your revision to early and losing interest or as Evie says above, maybe you need to change your revision techniques.

Do you have hobbies outside of studying? Are you a part of any societies? If you are only focusing on work that will definitely make you feel demotivated! There is so much more to life than studies and being a healthy individual is not just taking care of what you eat and how much you sleep but taking care of your social wellbeing. It is good to hang out with people and to have a life outside of studying. If you can get the balance right now, it help you when you enter the world of work.

@kingfish321Do you have one more year left? If you can think about positive changes now then hopefully your third/final year will be better. I guess your halfway or more than halfway now, so it might be worth persevering unless there is another degree that you really want to do. Are you doing this degree for your parents ( that could be a reason for demotivation) or for yourself? It can be difficult when you see things differently to your parents, but if you are really not happy it might be worthwhile having another conversation with them.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey,
I am sorry that you are struggling so much right now. University can be very tough and it also sounds like you are under a lot of pressure.
If your studying is currently not working then it is a good idea to experiment and change the way that you study/revise. I would recommend studying throughout the year rather than just leaving it to the month before the exams, and then you will be in a better position when it comes to the exam period. There are also other factors that help your learning such as sleep, nutrition and stress levels, which have a huge impact on exam performance as well - so it may be worth working on these too. There are some good studying motivation and science podcasts etc that can show you effective studying techniques e.g. spaced-repetition and active recall (if you look this up on Youtube you should find some).
Your parents' worries are understandable, but at the end of the day it is your life and your decision, especially if you are working in the gap year and can financially support yourself. You can also take a year out of University at any time, and it is usually quite easy to just slot back into the following year without any added fees - so you can try third year and then make a decision later on. A year is only a very short amount of time relative to the rest of your life, so if you feel it would be beneficial to you, it will not set you back very much in the grand scheme of things.
I hope this has helped somewhat,
Evie (4th year Medic at UoS)

Yes, this was helpful.
Thank you for replying and for your advice
Reply 4
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@kingfish321

It might be an idea to try and find some time to talk to your tutor. They might be able to give you some advice and help you understand why you are not doing as well as expected in your assessments. (When you are putting in a lot of work and not seeing the reward for your efforts that can be very de-motivating!)

From your post it sounds like you are motivated but that you get bored by the time assessment/exams come around. Perhaps you are starting your revision to early and losing interest or as Evie says above, maybe you need to change your revision techniques.

Do you have hobbies outside of studying? Are you a part of any societies? If you are only focusing on work that will definitely make you feel demotivated! There is so much more to life than studies and being a healthy individual is not just taking care of what you eat and how much you sleep but taking care of your social wellbeing. It is good to hang out with people and to have a life outside of studying. If you can get the balance right now, it help you when you enter the world of work.

@kingfish321Do you have one more year left? If you can think about positive changes now then hopefully your third/final year will be better. I guess your halfway or more than halfway now, so it might be worth persevering unless there is another degree that you really want to do. Are you doing this degree for your parents ( that could be a reason for demotivation) or for yourself? It can be difficult when you see things differently to your parents, but if you are really not happy it might be worthwhile having another conversation with them.

All the best,

Unfortunately, other than talking with friends online (as most of them are in different countries for uni, etc) then I don't really have a hobby. But I do understand what you mean about having hobbies to do things you can enjoy and that working too much could also demotivate you.

I have 2 more years left as it is an engineering degree, with no placement tho. The part about parents focused me to do this degree, well it's kind of like a 50-50 thing. My parents wanted me to do a doctorate/lawyer degree but my GCSE and A-levels subjects can't really be placed into those degrees if you know what I mean. So in the end, I chose to do an engineering degree (as I did maths, physics, technology and design, and BTEC engineering as my A-levels) and I was suggested the electrical/electronic engineering degree as it was one of the higher pay rate one when getting a job in the future. I'm not blaming my parents for this, it's mainly just that I regret not doing all the research into what I was going to be studying and now I feel like this course if outside my compatibility, but maybe it'll be better next year.

Anyways, thank you for your reply and advice
@kingfish321

It is good to have a hobby!

University provides such a great opportunity to discover new hobbies and to make new friends.

You don't have to attend lots of societies, but at least one society might be helpful and help you get to know some new people.

If you are spending a lot of time on your own, it can really affect your well-being. It's also important to get out and get some vitamin D!

It's great that you have friends abroad, but it's also helpful to have people you can chat to in-person and who you can spend time with. Are there classmates you can share some of your work frustrations with? Maybe someone who would make a good library buddy next year? You could arrange to meet to study at the library on a set day, with a focus of getting two or three hours work done. You could then grab lunch or coffee afterwards.

From the A' levels that you chose and from the course that you are studying, it sounds like your strength does lie in STEM, but perhaps the course has not been so interesting or challenged you enough. It might be an idea to check out the modules for next year.

All the best,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending