The Student Room Group

Writing Competitions

I recently had my English teacher critique my personal statement, within which I state my career goal of becoming a published writer. After reading, she asked if I had entered any competitions, but I wasn't even aware there was such things as I didn't really get the encouragement to develop in English until I got to college. Could anybody point me towards competitions that I should enter? Is there any particularly high quality ones?

Cheers in advance. :smile:
Reply 2

muchos gracias.

I don't s'pose you have any experience yourself, or perhaps, more importantly, any tips to share? :smile:
Reply 3
Quite interesting I might just have to enter one of those

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glenbot3000
muchos gracias.

I don't s'pose you have any experience yourself, or perhaps, more importantly, any tips to share? :smile:

Nah - I have some sketchy experience (only really substantial one being I was one of the first runners-up for the Young Fiction Writer of the Year contest. There's a youtube video somewhere of the winners and runners-up meeting the PM at the time but I'm missing from it as I had to be somewhere else that day) but I haven't gotten back into competitions for years. I found that site when I went through one of my "I should enter a competition again" phases :tongue:

From what I know of competitions, don't be offended if you get rejected: it happens to everyone. I think I read somewhere that Harry Potter was rejected by quite a few publishers before Bloomsbury (or whoever it is) decided to take a chance on it and see how that's turned out. That and proof-read a *lot*. Get a third party to read it over if you can.
Reply 5
Original post by gethsemane342
Nah - I have some sketchy experience (only really substantial one being I was one of the first runners-up for the Young Fiction Writer of the Year contest. There's a youtube video somewhere of the winners and runners-up meeting the PM at the time but I'm missing from it as I had to be somewhere else that day) but I haven't gotten back into competitions for years. I found that site when I went through one of my "I should enter a competition again" phases :tongue:

From what I know of competitions, don't be offended if you get rejected: it happens to everyone. I think I read somewhere that Harry Potter was rejected by quite a few publishers before Bloomsbury (or whoever it is) decided to take a chance on it and see how that's turned out. That and proof-read a *lot*. Get a third party to read it over if you can.

Thank you very much, most helpful. I'm excited to get started now. :smile:
The Foyles Young Poetry contest is good especially as the winning prize is a workshop to develop your writing skills further. Also, a good place to start is a flash fiction competition. Last year I entered a Bloomsbury competition to write a story in only 147 words and I won two books from it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending