The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

From what period of time do they usually start rejecting people?
I've been pooled by Clare for Russian and Latin. Haven't heard anything about getting re-interviewed, so fingers crossed......
Original post by silentlife

kings has already started today... but most will probably be later on i think
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3163
what does actually help is to look at last years reports and see that there is a massive difference between the 3rd day and the final report ;o hope this year will be the same
Original post by Atropos
what does actually help is to look at last years reports and see that there is a massive difference between the 3rd day and the final report ;o hope this year will be the same

How much difference? Sorry for my laziness :P
Original post by Minerva
Just a coincidence :smile:

Trust me, it wasn't. The Pool operates to ensure a consistent standard across all colleges; the decision to make offers has absolutely nothing to do with Cambridge worrying about whether someone who applied to Emmanuel would consider an offer from Girton. As far as they are concerned the issue is whether someone deserves an offer from any college at Cambridge.

You completely misunderstood me-maybe I wasn't clear. I was answering somebody who gave reasons why Cambridge didn't delay telling all its applicants until after the pool was decided instead of telling most people on 4th Jan and then the poolees over the next three weeks. I entirely agree and understand the purpose of the pool.

What I said was that if they tried not to tell anybody (including those who were never pooled) their result until the pool was finished they would still have to notify people who were to be re-interviewed.

Secondly I pointed out that some of those re-interviewed are competing for places with people who don't need to be re-interviewed or with those pooled but possibly to be taken back by the original college. So if the reinterviewee doesn't do well enough the place gets given, late, to a poolee as a direct offer.

I don't think I ever suggested it was the poolee that got the choice?
So, what have I missed?

How many maths offers have I missed that aren't mine?
Original post by gregzz
I should have applied to Durham :frown:
It's probably that, but Cambridge is far superior to every other uni in UK for CompSci :frown: I just don't like the idea of failing, everyone here has probably never failed academically, we were always top students in our schools/colleges and now we're facing a possibility of getting rejected.. :/

Hmmm true....before all this, I was saying pfft, Cambridge is about 4th on my list! Now that they're practically dangling the carrot on a string in front of our faces,it only makes us want it more!

And you may be down-hearted now but at the end of the day, if we both end up getting rejected, you'll hopefully remember the reasons why you liked them in the first place. When you went there, you had a good feeling so there must be something good about them! Just try to stick to your gut instincts as best as you can without worrying too much about what they actually require from you :smile:
Reply 3168
Original post by Kidioteque
I feel for you bro. Just remember that they've clearly seen something in you to want to reinterview you, so just give it your best shot. Good luck with it all.

Yeah, I plan to do so. But I'm pretty worried that I'll miss any offer they might give me with the pathetic amount of revision I've currently done. This process has screwed with my head so much (as I'm sure it has to everyone else).

I just wish I had a goddamn offer from anywhere so I at least have some comfort that I might not get all rejections. But, as it stands, I've got nothing.

Original post by chickenonsteroids
Just give it your best. It's a long tedious process but at least you've got a chance to show them that you deserve a place. When is it?

Best of luck with it and your exams :smile:

They didn't specify. They said on Friday, but I have an exam, so it has to be re-scheduled. I want it on Saturday, but, if they can't, it might have to be done on Tuesday (one day after my Chem exam and one day before my Physics exam).

Thanks. :smile: And sorry to hear about what happened to your application! :frown:

Original post by unbridled
It's inconvenient for sure, but you might as well give it a shot. It'd be a shame to pass as you've come so close. And I'm sure there are a lot of medics on this thread who would kill for an interview, so it would be a bit ungrateful if you didn't go.

When did you hear?

I'm definitely going, but I'm just unhappy with this process for sure. I'll try my best in any case. :smile:

Ummm, about 4.30 I think. 'Unknown number' just came up on my mobile and I pretty much knew what it was.
Original post by silentlife

King's have rejected quite a few today...
Reply 3170
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
So, what have I missed?

How many maths offers have I missed that aren't mine?

last year pooling started on 7th (so 2 days later), so to compare our todays status with last year i compared it with last years 9th and results are similar

last years on 9th (3rd day) 31 direct offers and 31 interviews
this years on 7th (3rd day) 48 direct offers and 26 interviews

last years on 21st (last day) 75 direct offers and 26 interviews
which states that we are roughly half way through with direct offers and probably no more interview calls
Original post by Rhiannonymous
lol what did they say? :P

'At present, we are unable to give you a final decision about your application which is still under consideration here at Magdalene. In the meantime we have also made your application available to other colleges via the inter-collegiate pool in order to maximise your chances of gaining a place at Cambridge. As a result of this process, one of the following outcomes will occur:
- You may still be offered a place here at Magdalene. We still have a small number of places to fill in a range of subjects.
- You may be offered a place by another college without further interview.
- You may be invited for further interview at another college.
- You may be unsuccessful in obtaining a Cambridge place either at Magdalene or at another college.'

I think their wording makes it sounds like there's a big chance of us poor fishes getting an offer from Magdalene anyway, while I doubt our chances of that happening are bigger than that of people who were pooled by other colleges...

It almost made me feel special, until I realised every other applicant pooled by Magdalene received the same :tongue:
Reply 3172
Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me.
Reply 3173
Original post by Zhy
Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me. Fish me.

no :smile:
Reply 3174
Original post by Atropos
no :smile:

So that's how it is? :colone:
Original post by Atropos
last year pooling started on 7th (so 2 days later), so to compare our todays status with last year i compared it with last years 9th and results are similar

last years on 9th (3rd day) 31 direct offers and 31 interviews
this years on 7th (3rd day) 48 direct offers and 26 interviews

last years on 21st (last day) 75 direct offers and 26 interviews
which states that we are roughly half way through with direct offers and probably no more interview calls

That's brought my mood up! Thanks man! Do you mean 31 interviews on the last day of last year though? :s-smilie:
Reply 3176
Original post by Rhiannonymous
Hmmm true....before all this, I was saying pfft, Cambridge is about 4th on my list! Now that they're practically dangling the carrot on a string in front of our faces,it only makes us want it more!

And you may be down-hearted now but at the end of the day, if we both end up getting rejected, you'll hopefully remember the reasons why you liked them in the first place. When you went there, you had a good feeling so there must be something good about them! Just try to stick to your gut instincts as best as you can without worrying too much about what they actually require from you :smile:

We'll see, but I would prefer if we both got offers :P
Original post by lighterthanAyer
King's have rejected quite a few today...

How you hanging in there? :redface:
Reply 3178
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
That's brought my mood up! Thanks man! Do you mean 31 interviews on the last day of last year though? :s-smilie:

Bear in mind that some more of those offers at the last day will be people who've had interviews though..
Reply 3179
I only found out I was in the pool 4 hours ago and I'm already tired of swimming.

Serious admiration for those of you who have been swimming for days! Keep swimming :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending