The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

GordonP
I thought the end of term bonuses were linked to effort, the weekly money was dependant on turning up (well signing in more accurately)?

Maybe its just how it seems at my college?

I'm not entirely sure, I know something supposedly depends on effort, but my school just seem to give it to everyone regardless :rolleyes:
kellywood_5
Exactly. People only complain about EMA because they're jealous that they don't get it, so if they had the chance to, they would.

Wrong, I don't get EMA but I have as much money as I want from my rents. The gripe is with the way our taxes are being spent.
Anne Auraque
Wrong, I don't get EMA but I have as much money as I want from my rents. The gripe is with the way our taxes are being spent.

Some people aren't lucky enough to get all the money they want from their parents, so why do you begrudge them a small amount from the government to help them get by?
Reply 23
I was eligible. I didnt claim.

I got the same things everyone else got from their parents.. a roof over my head and food. nothing more. nothing less.

why should I have to work another 6 hours a week just to earn the same as someone who gets exactly the same things as me.. but a government paycheck.

It should either be given to all students in order to cut out the amount of work they have to do in order to help them focus on studies. Or given to none of them.

I think the other option is that yes, it should be income assessed and the weekly money to be paid directly to the parents to help them suport their children going through further, non compulsary education.

Grrr i wrote an angry letter to my old labour mp about this and got nothing but a rude reply.

---however.. i do believe that once people are of an age of being able to work handouts from parents should stop. People who are 16+ and still given money by their parents will develop an appalling work ethic and expect everything to go their way 100% of the time.

what a very unusually right wing post for me *shrugs*
Reply 24
I don't really see the point of claiming EMA. That's just the Government trying to bribe GCSE people for going to further education still, so that 95.5% of them (I'm just making the stats up) they will go to unis.

I never trust the Government, esepcially Tony Blair, and I never will.
Reply 25
I dont agree with it but i claim... call me a hypocrite, but meh
Reply 26
Sincerest apologies for performing thread-necromancy, but seeing as the new EMA thread has surfaced, I just thought I'd point this interesting feautre out.

A HUGE majority of the people who disagree with it have said they would still claim if they were eligible. I think this says something, no?
I get EMA and I both agree and disagree with it.

I agree with it because it can help people on a low income stay in education and if they can be pursuaded to stay in education then maybe they won't have a low income when they are older.

I do however believe it should be better regulated. Somepeople will go to college only to get free money. They won't do anything and they will fail. You should only get the money if you put in the effort. Not just if you turn up. Also there should be a way of checking how this money is spent. Maybe by having cards that the money is on and this can only be used for certain purposes (eg. paying for a bus, dinner money, stationary etc.).
Reply 28
I am eligible for EMA, and yes I claim? Why? Because it helps.

Obviously lots of people will argue against it because they think its unfair, and yes, I'm inclined to agree with them. But I'm not going to bite the hand that feeds me.

I get £20 because my parents don't earn an awful lot of money. My dad is a milkman and my mum works in my college canteen. I also have a part-time job on Thursday nights, saturdays and sunday afternoons. The money isn't a lot, but it helps. I don't really go out much on friday or saturday nights, mainly because its expensive and I have to work the next day. I put my money to good use.

I think the way the EMA is judged is unfair. My parents earn approximately £22,000 a year and they have 4 children. If 4 of us want to go to university, thats a problem. But not all 4 of us do. Neither of my elder brothers went to university. One of them went as an apprentice for plumbing and the other just got a job when he left school and has been working ever since. I'd be the first in my family to get to university. My brothers never got an opportunity to get EMA, and they said that if it was offered to them, they would have jumped at the chance. They're not stupid. My eldest brother (the plumber) got 4 A*s, 4 As and a B in his GCSEs. He was intelligent. But he knew there was no point in staying on at school if he didn't need A-levels to get an appprenticeship. He said if it was offered to him he would have stayed on and saved up, and placed the EMA in a bank account towards funding a university course for architecture. He says that he wants to do A-levels in the future and go to university, he's just waiting for enough income to support him.

Now the EMA has come into play, it works out well for me and my younger sister. I want to do languages at university, and my EMA payments plus my wages go into my back account to help fund it, without graduating in thousands of pounds of debt. Likewise, my sister doing GCSEs this year will save her EMA towards doing a midwifery degree. I am happy with it, obviously because I worked out lucky. Some people don't work out that lucky. I am not going to undermine what i believe to be a very helpful system.

Sorry for the blab. I felt a bit passionate there.
EMA is subject to you achieving your MPG and attendance, well at least it was for me! :smile:
Reply 30
Well... umm... yes.

I'd like to pretend I had more integrity than that, but I'd rather have the money. And if the government wanted to waste their money on me, so be it.

Latest

Trending

Trending