The Student Room Group

HL Maths or Maths Studies??

Hi,

recently I've been doing HL maths and I got a grade 5 in one of my recent end of term tests. However, I made a final decision to study geography at university rather than geography and economics. I don't need HL maths or SL maths for the geography degree but seeing how I've got some capability to do maths I don't want to drop HL and go to studies. Also my pride wouldn't let me.

what would you advise me to do? Also I'm doing maths everyday at home and it's a bit stressing from time to time and I do have my moments where my brain just crashes but my pride isn't letting me drop maths HL going to maths studies...
what should I do?

Thank You very much :biggrin:
Reply 1
What the hell is Maths studies? It sounds so pathetic, stick with HL maths.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm assuming you are in your first year, and I'd say finish this term with Math HL (you could always switch to Studies, but not the other way round) and see how you do. Your first term in Math HL is really very different to the rest of the year when more stuff is taught. While maybe it doesn't apply to you, most people have a change of mind as to what they want to study in Uni, most during Summer. So after the summer hols, if your decision to take only Geography doesn't change, then taking Math Studies would be a good option as to maximize your predicted and final IB grade!

That's just my opinion, do whichever you feel best (:
Reply 3
If you don't need maths HL don't do it! From what I've seen, it takes up so much time when you could be studying other subjects, and gets a lot harder throughout the year, whereas maths studies allows you to get a relatively easy 6/7 and gives you more time to work on necessary subjects. I dropped down as well as I didn't need it and haven't looked back since :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Malawi
What the hell is Maths studies? It sounds so pathetic, stick with HL maths.

You obviously don't do IB. Maths Studies is a course designed for the practical application of maths with sections on finance and such. It's still maths and still difficult, especially for people who aren't mathematically inclined. It covers some parts of the AS course.

To be honest, you'll regret doing HL. Doing SL would be easier but for you doing studies would be a walk in the park. You'd have more time to focus and could really score highly, pushing 43, 44 with the extra time you'd have to focus on your other subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by Calllu-m
You obviously don't do IB. Maths Studies is a course designed for the practical application of maths with sections on finance and such. It's still maths and still difficult, especially for people who aren't mathematically inclined. It covers some parts of the AS course.

To be honest, you'll regret doing HL. Doing SL would be easier but for you doing studies would be a walk in the park. You'd have more time to focus and could really score highly, pushing 43, 44 with the extra time you'd have to focus on your other subjects.

Is maths studies similar to A-level use of maths?
What would be your 3rd higher then? If you are going to drop to SL or studies, you are going to have to change something else.
Presumably your Geography is already a higher subject
Reply 7
Original post by Lionheartat20
What would be your 3rd higher then? If you are going to drop to SL or studies, you are going to have to change something else.
Presumably your Geography is already a higher subject

Im doing English, economics and geography at HL, I just don't know if I should do SL or studies for maths because I really don't need it for geography and it would help with a bit more time to study other subjects but its just I'm really good at maths and my pride won't let me to studies, what do you think I should do?
Reply 8
Original post by Malawi
Is maths studies similar to A-level use of maths?

You clearly don't do IB. Let me enlighten you. Subjects are taken at either a higher or a standard level. It's an intricate system, but what it boils down to is that you choose 6 subjects, one of which has to be maths at either sl (standard level) or hl (higher level). However, the problem with this is that (i'm not sure about this) in the A-levels you don't have to take maths, meaning that those who take maths are fairly good. HOWEVER, as everyone in the IB has to take maths, people who are really bad at have to take it too. Hence, the IB created mathematical studies (maths studie) which is well below the level of hl, a-level, and even standard level maths. It is a very easy subject for those who are bad at maths, and is often the punchline of jokes about the iqs of the people who take it.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending