The Student Room Group

A2 English Language Exam tomorrow!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I did this exam and I'm really worried about it!! :frown: did anyone do question 2 for acquisition, the transcript of a reception class?! if anyone did i'd be really really grateful to hear the sorts of things you talked about!! I rambled on about social interactionists, a bit of stuff about the features of early childrens books but i'm so worried cos i found hardly anything to write!

as for lang change, i wrote about how the grammar was more formal and how this would not be expected now in such a piece of writig, due to competition, etc, would use direct address contractions varying sentence structure etc....influence of grammarians eg. not ending sentence with preposition, a bit about lexis, obselete lexis, connotations of 'fragile', 'sweet' for women, 'women hater' and how that would not be an accepted term now....the long s and capitalisation - linked to caxton printing press....semantic change eg. in 'seat', and orthography in the use of contractions like 'cock'd up' and 'tho' and how this was missing out salient sounds to save space or ink, or due convergence from early poets.....anyone think those points are valid??? really rather worried!!!
Reply 41
Original post by flower124
I did this exam and I'm really worried about it!! :frown: did anyone do question 2 for acquisition, the transcript of a reception class?! if anyone did i'd be really really grateful to hear the sorts of things you talked about!! I rambled on about social interactionists, a bit of stuff about the features of early childrens books but i'm so worried cos i found hardly anything to write!

as for lang change, i wrote about how the grammar was more formal and how this would not be expected now in such a piece of writig, due to competition, etc, would use direct address contractions varying sentence structure etc....influence of grammarians eg. not ending sentence with preposition, a bit about lexis, obselete lexis, connotations of 'fragile', 'sweet' for women, 'women hater' and how that would not be an accepted term now....the long s and capitalisation - linked to caxton printing press....semantic change eg. in 'seat', and orthography in the use of contractions like 'cock'd up' and 'tho' and how this was missing out salient sounds to save space or ink, or due convergence from early poets.....anyone think those points are valid??? really rather worried!!!

I didn't do the question two for the CLA, so I can't help you with that (Sorry) but I did do the same language change question as you. I wrote about the Lexis- and how it was archaic and contained latinate lexis. The talked about the sentence length, ligatures and the Eth along with Capitalisation. I talked about context and how it would be aimed at people of a high social status as they would be able to read and write and own books. I mentioned missing out the "E" to save space or ink the same as you. I put in standardisation and perscriptivism to try and gain extra marks lol. I hope this is enough to get a B at least. I felt that I did better in the CLA question as I had revised speeching a lot. I ran out of time for the Language Change so I know i could have added more. Your points are valid and I'm sure you did well :smile:

How did you find it overall... like time wise and that?
Once we get the results we should talk about it on here although I'm dreading it:frown: It's not the first time I've ran out of time I ran out of time on Monday with my Sociology exam:frown: x
Reply 42
Original post by Yellowiris
I didn't do the question two for the CLA, so I can't help you with that (Sorry) but I did do the same language change question as you. I wrote about the Lexis- and how it was archaic and contained latinate lexis. The talked about the sentence length, ligatures and the Eth along with Capitalisation. I talked about context and how it would be aimed at people of a high social status as they would be able to read and write and own books. I mentioned missing out the "E" to save space or ink the same as you. I put in standardisation and perscriptivism to try and gain extra marks lol. I hope this is enough to get a B at least. I felt that I did better in the CLA question as I had revised speeching a lot. I ran out of time for the Language Change so I know i could have added more. Your points are valid and I'm sure you did well :smile:

How did you find it overall... like time wise and that?
Once we get the results we should talk about it on here although I'm dreading it:frown: It's not the first time I've ran out of time I ran out of time on Monday with my Sociology exam:frown: x

oh my gosh, i ran out of time in the sociology exam too!! i didn't even attempt the 15 marker which is a shame cos i felt the rest went really well! :/ i'm wanting a b in language too so i'll just have to hope i did enough....the exam overall was ok, not as good as the mocks we'd done but i guess exams are like that, acquisition threw me a bit cos we'd been told to expect a writing question or a transcript of a parent and child reading, which we didn't get, and the one i did didn't have any mistakes or anything so you couldn't write about it in much detail :/ fingers crossed for march, hope is all we can do now!!! x
Reply 43
oh my gosh, i ran out of time in the sociology exam too!! i didn't even attempt the 15 marker which is a shame cos i felt the rest went really well! :/ i'm wanting a b in language too so i'll just have to hope i did enough....the exam overall was ok, not as good as the mocks we'd done but i guess exams are like that, acquisition threw me a bit cos we'd been told to expect a writing question or a transcript of a parent and child reading, which we didn't get, and the one i did didn't have any mistakes or anything so you couldn't write about it in much detail :/ fingers crossed for march, hope is all we can do now!!! x

I think everyone ran out time in the sociology exam lol! And oh the 15 marker was hard I just made it up as I went along as I wasn't expecting suicide :confused:. And yep just hoping that in March I get a B for both Language and sociology... really dont want to resit :frown: Good luck with everything and my fingers are crossed for you as well :smile: xx
Reply 44
What grades did everyone get? I'm so gutted I got a C! I mean I'll most probably still get a B overall but I'm really shocked that I got so low...
Reply 45
I got a D ... WHAT?!!! 67/120 - that's not even a grade

How do you go from 118 at AS to 67 at A2. Fair enough I had no conclusion, but a D?!? I'd probably have done better if I just wrote my name and left the rest of the paper blank. If I could find out who my fkin examiner was - ohhhh boy!
Reply 46
I am gutted I got a C
Reply 47
So it's not just me then!! What on earth has happened? You guys going to get them remarked?
Reply 48
Original post by Mewmew8
So it's not just me then!! What on earth has happened? You guys going to get them remarked?

Definitely

Getting my paper back first though ... You?
Reply 49
I know! Most of my class got C and we have all been predicted A's and B's. Yeah am going to get it remarked then will mostl likely resit
Reply 50
Only 2 people out of 238 got A*s!! :redface:
Reply 51
Original post by omgilyx
Only 2 people out of 238 got A*s!! :redface:

Are you being serious! No way
Reply 52
I got an A.....no idea how!!! :/ Does anyone know what the grade boundaries were???
(edited 11 years ago)
I got 108 UMS, I was really not expecting that at all. :redface: I ended up 1 mark away from an A at AS and I'd hoped to make it up this year but I had my doubts, I thought I'd end up with a B in this exam! I thought I'd truly stuffed up Language Change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A.....no idea how!!! :/ Does anyone know what the grade boundaries were???

It was 67/96 raw marks for an A I believe, and 96/120 UMS. Well done :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Got 96/120, still have to resit it though because I need an A* for Nottingham and this is my best bet :frown:

That whole '2 people in the country got an A*' thing has given me a boost though :L must have been a hard exam this time round!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wbez
Got 96/120, still have to resit it though because I need an A* for Nottingham and this is my best bet :frown:

That whole '2 people in the country got an A*' thing has given me a boost though :L must have been a hard exam this time round!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking at the statistics, was there really only 230 people that sat the exam? I'm sure over 100 people have taken English Language in my college alone xD
Sorry about your result :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Well I got an E...
Reply 58
Original post by badbodydouble
Looking at the statistics, was there really only 230 people that sat the exam? I'm sure over 100 people have taken English Language in my college alone xD
Sorry about your result :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I misread their comment xD But still, at such a low percentage, it evidently was a difficult exam.

And no need to be sorry, only ball-ache is it's on the same day as my final History exam, which will be a fun day :P Still, life could be worse, and at least i've got 3 months to prepare for it!
Reply 59
sorry to hear about the disappointing results.......weirdly, everyone else in my class got an a......i really thought i had completely stuffed up acquisition... :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending