The Student Room Group

Scly2 21st may 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Wizkidani
Okay thank you! I'll look that up tonight :smile: Does anyone know what you would write if an essay came up on social surveys? I was not taught this either :c

the only one i know you can write about is
a normal survey
longitudinal survey
pilot survey

i am not sure though what else you would include :s-smilie:
hope it helps though :tongue:
Reply 261
Original post by Adavan
the only one i know you can write about is
a normal survey
longitudinal survey
pilot survey

i am not sure though what else you would include :s-smilie:
hope it helps though :tongue:

ahh okay, thank you :biggrin:
Reply 262
Original post by Onoderas
I'm really sorry I don't record the years in my notes :frown: it's so odd we get told we need them in my Psychology but not Sociology! But I know Fuller used observation (the headteacher told her that if she used interviews she would need more permission), Troyna and Williams I think was a lot of secondary resources, mostly public documents so school prospectuses/websites but not 100% sure on that one :smile:

Thank you and no worries, oh I got told if I don't know the name of the study or the year then don't bother even writing about it. Also, do you know the name of fullers study?

Sorry to bug you once again but by any chance do you know anything about vocational education and training? and training schemes? As I just looked through what should be taught in this sociology topic and this was on the list. I would be really grateful if you could give a sum up on these if it's possible, if not no worries.
Reply 263
Original post by Onoderas
I know most struggle with Methods in Context so I thought I'd give some advice and drop a full mark answer here.

Basically, your response is put into levels;

Level 0-Just about education (not methods, max 8 marks)

Level 1-Just about a method in general (no application to education, 11 marks max)

Level 2- Method is applied to education (but not to the topic, so you talk about how you need permission from a headteacher but only generally, max mark is 15)

Level 3-Method is applied to education and the topic in question (For example, you need permission from a headteacher to carry out an unstructured interview, yet they are unlikely to allow you access to an anti-school subculture as it presents the school in a negative light)

Hope this helps :smile:

That helps so much! Also, the essay is really good, but to improve you could write about the theoretical approaches, who would most likely to use it. So in this case positivists would most likely use official statistics as they would like to compare statistics, they also prefer scientific methods and to them this is more scientific but interpretivists don't like this method they would prefer secondary data letters and diaries, but part from that the essay is really good!

However, this is just my thinking maybe you don't need to include interpretivists?
Reply 264
Completely dreading this, I like Methods in context + Education but methods on its own just drives me insane. I find it so boring that I end up just missing stuff out and not writing enough 'cause I'm fed up of having to explain the goddamn advantages of a questionnaire.

Psychology all over again :'(
Could you argue that official stats on certain things like domestic abuse lack validity because it only shows reported domestic abuse, not all cases?

What about the reliability of this?

Can som1 also summarise ppt observation pls

THX!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 266
Original post by Thaoo
That helps so much! Also, the essay is really good, but to improve you could write about the theoretical approaches, who would most likely to use it. So in this case positivists would most likely use official statistics as they would like to compare statistics, they also prefer scientific methods and to them this is more scientific but interpretivists don't like this method they would prefer secondary data letters and diaries, but part from that the essay is really good!

However, this is just my thinking maybe you don't need to include interpretivists?

Thank you and no worries, oh I got told if I don't know the name of the study or the year then don't bother even writing about it. Also, do you know the name of fullers study?

Sorry to bug you once again but by any chance do you know anything about vocational education and training? and training schemes? As I just looked through what should be taught in this sociology topic and this was on the list. I would be really grateful if you could give a sum up on these if it's possible, if not no worries

Thank you! I'm not 100% sure if you need the positivist and interpretivist debate in MIC because I know the focus is on application but it would never hurt to throw it in :smile: I know it's essential for the last question but I don't think it matters as much on MIC.

And did your school tell you that? Because I can tell you right now it's not true, the examiners are never expecting you to remember names. Some people don't even put names in and just say research and do fine! (Some in my class did this and got an A in January, and I only included names and got a very good result :smile: ). I'm sorry I don't know the name of her study :frown:

Vocational education is a tiny topic, there's hardly anything in the textbook and that's all I've had to go off. I think the most they'd ask for is a 2 or 6 mark on it, maybe a 12 if they want to be horrible but I can't see them doing a 20. Just need to remember; it's work related training, used because it's been suggested education is out of touch with the economy, schemes such as apprenticiships and BTECs, favoured by the NR as it brings education and work close, wanted to enhance the skills of young people, Marxists criticise it for producing an exploited workforce, these young also=cheap labour :smile:
Original post by Adavan
Here you go :smile: !!! There are some Grammar and Spelling errors - just ignore them. this was a very had essay I didnt know many advantages of participant observation so its a bit muddled :s-smilie: .

Participant observation and investigating truancy from school (20 marks)

Participant Observation is a qualitative primary research method which allows the researcher to investigate truancy first hand and see the reasons why this happens. One strength using participant observation when researching truancy is that the researcher would be able to join the students who don’t go to school and understand why this has increased over the past years. Hence, this will allow the researcher to gain rich knowledge and reasons for truancy. Understanding that perhaps the researcher is going to be matured it would be obvious that the participant would know that the researcher is observing them hence this observation would be covert participant observation. However, one disadvantage of this is that observation type is that it could create the hawthorn effect, this is when participant alter their behaviour, hence contributing to the fact that the findings could lack validity.

Further, many sociologist who use questionnaire have problems with the lack of response rate, however, in a participant observation there is no worrying as the researcher would complete all the information.

Positivists argue that participant observation is not a suitable research method as it isn’t scientific enough. The researcher would be interpreting behaviour in his/her own way therefore information and opinions of the interviewer is subjective. However using more scientific research methods such as questionnaires would allow the researcher to gain objective results and therefore more validity. A questionnaire would also allow the researcher to find out whether delinquency (youth crime) is linked to truancy, whereas it would be difficult for observer to find out this unless the observer is observing the participants for a long period of time. Positivists also argue that participant observation is not necessary when researching about truancy as most student and teachers would give truthful information as it mostly anonymous (hence, not demand characteristics).

It would be very difficult to observe students when they truant as the parents might not be aware of this so it is difficult to arrange with a student to observe them truant. Hence, some sociologist would argue that perhaps using interview would be able allow students to express their feelings more and see if they are developing anti-school-subculture. Davis Hargreaves used interview as he thought that this would allow him to talk o students and gain the perspective of what the students thought about school and why some boys create an anti-school-subculture. As both truancy and anti-school-subculture are linked it might be ideal for the researcher to use interview than participant observation.

On the other hand it is arguable that participant observation is better as it is primary data, data which has been collected by the research himself. This will allow the researcher to be sure that information is valid, not out of date and that the data concentrates on the specific sample he/she chose. Therefore, using official statistics would be not as good as it has been collected by other researchers. Moreover, the researcher sample would be students; hence the findings then would be representative (so the research can generalize his findings to students who truant).

As past research has shown that many students who truant have aggressive behaviour and are involved in delinquency it might be dangerous for the research to actively engage and interact with the students as they might use violence. This was a problem Paul Willis had to face in his ‘Learning to Labour’ study and argued that he had to be very cautious and sometimes involve in little pranks as he couldn’t reveal his identity.

In conclusion, it can be seen that there are many negative aspect of participant observation when researching truancy; hence, it might be advisable to use triangulation. This is when researchers use multiple methods to increase their validity of the research. I would suggest that participant observation can be used as one of the method but in addition could use semi-structured interview or/and questionnaires.

Hope this helped :tongue:

Be careful with how you use validity reliability and representativeness. There are a number of occasions where you mix them up.
Also Willis' learning to labour was overt, not covert. He was not hiding his identity, and combined participant observation with group interviews.
David Hargreaves used non-participant observation not interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by S4LM4N
The Male Gaze is another factor which reinforces gender identities. Mac and Ghail use this term to refer to the way male students and teachers view females as sexual objects. This therefore means that feminity is devalued.

just saw this, thank you :biggrin:
Does anyone know any example research that used structured interviews, thank you!:smile:
Does anyone know any keywords that will be good to learn for the two mark question?
Reply 271
Hi just a mock paper on things that haven't come up recently and potential questions:
A) Define immediate gratification
B) suggest 3 factors why girls tend have higher educational attainment then boys
C) outline some reasons why some ethnic minorities do better then others
D)using item z, access the claim that the main aim of educational policies to bring equality in attainment

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys anyone have a definition list with all the definitions needed to answer the 2 mark questions? :smile:
Reply 273
What's the chances of theories coming up tomorrow as a 20 marker?
Original post by lucyxxx
What's the chances of theories coming up tomorrow as a 20 marker?

I don't think they're likely to do theories though it would be a great question! My teacher said he thinks it'll be on government policies, I hope it is!
Original post by Daniellenight
I don't think they're likely to do theories though it would be a great question! My teacher said he thinks it'll be on government policies, I hope it is!

Do you know what they could ask about educational policies? :smile: They've already asked assess the claim that the main aim of education policies in the last 25 years has to been to create and educational market.
can someone give me a summary of the government policies please.
Reply 277
Original post by Daniellenight

Oh no I hate policy! What would come up on policy?
Original post by lucyxxx
Oh no I hate policy! What would come up on policy?

Maybe how it affects class/gender or what the policies were and how it affected education.. I hope they don't say gender tho because I really wouldn't know what to say! I hope they don't have a question on post modernism either omg ill go blank!
Reply 279
Original post by Seb Mosquera
Be careful with how you use validity reliability and representativeness. There are a number of occasions where you mix them up.
Also Willis' learning to labour was overt, not covert. He was not hiding his identity, and combined participant observation with group interviews.
David Hargreaves used non-participant observation not interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your help and feedback, although I agree with Paul Willis study being overt I must disagree with you and David Hargreaves. I am talking about his study in 1973, perhaps you might be thinking of another study he did.

However, I do find your feedback very helpful and it shows me I need to know my terminology a bit better. :smile:

Could you tell me wha mark out of 20 you would give this .

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending