The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Dangerous as the rumors say?

Hello, I'm not sure if this had been asked before, but I was wondering if it really is dangerous to go to Queen Mary University as the rumors say. I hear from my friends a lot that Queen Mary is dangerous, because it is situated in East London and it has a relatively high crime rate. They tell me that people shouldn't really consider going to there.

I'm quite confused, someone please try to clear this up for me? Is it true?
Reply 1
Original post by CeeTe3
Hello, I'm not sure if this had been asked before, but I was wondering if it really is dangerous to go to Queen Mary University as the rumors say. I hear from my friends a lot that Queen Mary is dangerous, because it is situated in East London and it has a relatively high crime rate. They tell me that people shouldn't really consider going to there.

I'm a finalist at QM, so thought I might reassure you that the area, nor the university are in anyway 'dangerous'. London is a big city, and I've lived in various different parts over my life and I can categorically state that Mile End/Bow/Bethnal Green (where QM is and surrounding areas) are some of the safest in London.

I'm not sure why it gets a bad rep, I am assuming it is public school kids who are generally afraid of 'the big bad city' and anywhere that isn't Exeter or Marlowe.

In my time here I've never heard of anyone having a crime committed against them, save for the odd bicycle theft - something no city is a stranger too! (Oxford is even worse).

If you look at the crime statistics for London (as provided online by the Metropolitan Police), I think you'll find 'rich' boroughs such as Westminster have a much higher crime rate than Tower Hamlets.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by CeeTe3

This is a total myth circulated by people who've never lived in London and who simply assume that just because an area is inner city or more deprived than Kensington, that therefore it's also a crime haven.

At any rate, the stats don't lie:

Number of crimes reported in Tower Hamlets (where QMUL is) in 2012: 29,576

Number of crimes reported in Camden (where UCL is) in 2012: 33,609

Number of crimes reported in Westminster (where KCL is) in 2012: 63,714

Number of crimes reported in Islington (where London Met is) in 2012: 27,977

Ref: http://www.met.police.uk/crimefigures/#

So as you can see, QMUL is actually located in an area which is at least just as safe as the rest of inner city London, if not more so.

In summary, it's not dangerous if you act sensibly like you would in any other urban area.
Reply 3
As someone whos lived in London their whole life, dont be a dumbass and youll be fine :wink:
Also if you find yourself in any dark alleys, dont bend over to pick anything up :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CeeTe3

Invest in a bulletproof vest. You'll be fine.
Reply 5
Thanks for the info guys :smile: It cleared things up a bit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending