The Student Room Group

Would a BTEC Diploma(2 A-Levels) in Creative Media Production get me into University?

Hiya! I'm currently in Year 11 and now just wondering what subjects I should take for sixth form/college.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so I'm not sure what I want to do in the future, career wise. Although, what I do know is that I really want to do media studies alongside two other subjects in sixth form/college. The thing is though, the media subject I really want to do is a (Level 3) BTEC Diploma, but I've heard that BTECs don't have a good reputation in universities. However, the BTEC Diploma results into 2 A-Levels.

To be honest, I don't actually fully understand the whole qualification thing and why BTECs "aren't that great". Sure, they are a lot more practical but if it gives you 2 A-Levels, shouldn't that count? :s-smilie:

I'm planning on taking either Photography or English Literature alongside Psychology and BTEC Creative Media Production in sixth form/college. I could only pick 2 other A-Levels though, so it's either Photography or English Lit and Psychology. I cannot decide, but anyway that doesn't matter right now. :colondollar:

But so, my question is, why do people say Universities look down upon BTECS? Is this true? Also, is this BTEC Diploma (2 A-Levels) "good enough" for a university? That is, if that theory is correct, as I don't know a lot. I probably should know, but I don't. :confused:

Thank you, in advance :smile:.
Reply 1
I had a friend who took a BTEC Diploma in Performing Arts (hers was equivalent to three A-Levels though) and got into Manchester, which is a Russell group uni. So while BTECs are generally not as highly-regarded as A-Levels, they're not as terrible as some people on here will tell you they are. The only universities which won't accept them are Oxford and Cambridge.

So yes, you should be fine with that combination. I'd recommend English Lit over Psychology though if you're worried about how universities will regard your choices.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
What are you planning on doing at University?
If it's something relevant then I'm sure its fine.
Reply 3
Original post by AbathaZoe
I had a friend who took a BTEC Diploma in Performing Arts (hers was equivalent to three A-Levels though) and got into Manchester, which is a Russell group uni. So while BTECs are generally not as highly-regarded as A-Levels, they're not as terrible as some people on here will tell you they are. The only universities which won't accept them are Oxford and Cambridge.

So yes, you should be fine with that combination. I'd recommend English Lit over Psychology though if you're worried about how universities will regard your choices.

I believe that's called an Extended Diploma. But wow, okay yeah! Oxford and Cambridge, pft I'd probably never get accepted anyway so it's all good. But what do you mean? I know English Lit is widely recognised as a really good academic A-Level especially for Universities, but I've always wanted to do Psychology. Khfkdsnfdg. What do you think?
Reply 4
Original post by kerstin
I believe that's called an Extended Diploma. But wow, okay yeah! Oxford and Cambridge, pft I'd probably never get accepted anyway so it's all good. But what do you mean? I know English Lit is widely recognised as a really good academic A-Level especially for Universities, but I've always wanted to do Psychology. Khfkdsnfdg. What do you think?

Yeah, English Lit is considered a 'facilitating' subject that's all, and I think it might be best to have at least one if you're worried about how well-respected your subjects are. But no, I think the most important thing when choosing subjects is to take something you'll enjoy. If you don't like a subject, you're less likely to put in the work and get the grades. So if you think you'll enjoy Psychology more, I'd go with that.
Reply 5
Original post by GekoFan
What are you planning on doing at University?
If it's something relevant then I'm sure its fine.

Ah, that's the thing see I don't know what I want to do. But I do really like media, psychology and photography. I want to take English Lit too because I'm quite good at it and I hear it's generally any University's goddess.

But these three combinations:
2 A-Levels [btec] for Media,
Psychology
Photography OR English Literature.

Would universities look down on it or...? :confused::s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by AbathaZoe
Yeah, English Lit is considered a 'facilitating' subject that's all, and I think it might be best to have at least one if you're worried about how well-respected your subjects are. But no, I think the most important thing when choosing subjects is to take something you'll enjoy. If you don't like a subject, you're less likely to put in the work and get the grades. So if you think you'll enjoy Psychology more, I'd go with that.

I've definitely taken English Lit into consideration based off this, even more so than I did before because I mean, if it'd be how universities judge my application form in the future then it's good to see an English Lit smacked onto the paper right? But then again, it all comes down to what I WANT to do. This is quite stressful, not knowing what subject to drop from my list: Photography, English Lit or Psychology. I want to do ALL of them.
Ahah, well anyway. Thanks so much :smile:!
Do your BTEC, English Lit and Psychology.

You may think Photography will be fun, but there's nothing fun about getting rejected from all your prospective universities because of your subjects which has happened so many times to people I know. Photography's also a bit pointless.

Psychology is a bit of a grey area for Russell Group universities - it's never really on the preferred lists nor the blacklists, I imagine it depends on how competitive the course you're applying for is. But since you are eager to study it, you'll more than likely put the work in to it and it's better to come out with an A in Psychology than a B in a more typically respected subject like Geography.

The BTEC, Psychology and Photography combined would not make for a highly academic application. And despite what I said about the example of Psychology and English Lit, for any RG university a B in English is probably better than an A in Photography.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest