The Student Room Group

Books that are a must - read

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Two more books I've read whilst working aha
Sing you home by Jodi Picoult- she's a great writer, she also wrote My sisters keeper.
Prettly little things by Jilliane Hoffman.
Reply 181
Original post by Maroosh

Thanks Maroosh :smile: I'll add all the new suggestions soon, yes that'll do but do add more if u remember more :biggrin:

I check goodreads quite often as well and I definitely agree about it being a pretty good site for recommendations. Yes, true about the spoilers too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 182
Original post by tjf8
It's been said, but every house should have a copy of 1984. I would add Midnight's Children by Rushdie and The Trial by Kafka.

Thank you and I will add them both :smile:

Original post by Zizi11
Two more books I've read whilst working aha
Sing you home by Jodi Picoult- she's a great writer, she also wrote My sisters keeper.
Prettly little things by Jilliane Hoffman.

I've always thought My Sister's Keeper sounded like a good read but never actually got around reading it yet. I'll definitely add your suggestions as well :smile:
Reply 183
Original post by danny111
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Original post by gypsyclimber
So glad to see someone put this at the top of their list - incredible book, moving, funny and poignant all the way through. It's one of those books I think everyone should read at some point in their lives.

Original post by butterflyOtummy
The Book Thief is a must!

Original post by rooosy
Gatsby and The Book Thief are two of my favourite books! The Book Thief is so so sad though, I cried about 7 times...

I read The Book Thief a couple of weeks ago and I COMPLETELY agree! It was fantastic! I started crying half way through the book too. Thank you for the recommendations guys and I would tell everyone who hasn't read it, please do. It's wonderfully written and is a definite must - read :yep:
How the hell is a Dan Brown novel on this list? Disgusting "literature"

Take one of them off and put Crime And Punishment, The Last Days Of A Condemned Man and Norweigan Wood on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
Original post by guezelkuecuek
How the hell is a Dan Brown novel on this list? Disgusting "literature"

Take one of them off and put Crime And Punishment, The Last Days Of A Condemned Man and Norweigan Wood on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: I'll put all three of them on the list soon!

Btw which one is your personal fav? What genre do you prefer?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tjf8
It's been said, but every house should have a copy of 1984.

The state should enforce it IMO.
Original post by Diiiii
Thank you :smile: I'll put all three of them on the list soon!

Btw which one is your personal fav? What genre do you prefer?

Dostoevsky is my favourite author, but I read all sorts of books. There's a time for highbrow classics and admittedly there's a time for Dan Brown thrillers. I don't know if Zadie Smith's "White Teeth" is on the list? If it's not add it because it's a cracking book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 188
Original post by guezelkuecuek
Dostoevsky is my favourite author, but I read all sorts of books. There's a time for highbrow classics and admittedly there's a time for Dan Brown thrillers. I don't know if Zadie Smith's "White Teeth" is on the list? If it's not add it because it's a cracking read.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not on the list but I'll add it. What's the story line btw? The title sounds interesting. I haven't limited myself to any particular genres either and love reading all types of books :smile:
Original post by Diiiii
It's not on the list but I'll add it. What's the story line btw? The title sounds interesting. I haven't limited myself to any particular genres either and love reading all types of books :smile:

It's about two world war two veterans, one English one Bengali Muslim and their lives.
Anything and everything by Jodi Compton! Absolutely in love with her books. :yep:
Reply 191
Original post by staceykimb
Anything and everything by Jodi Compton! Absolutely in love with her books. :yep:

Jotted down and to-be-added soon :smile:
Reply 192
Hi Diiiii! List is looking great :smile: wasn't Alice in Wonderland written by Lewis Carroll though? And one from my childhood, absolutely loved the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke :tongue:
Reply 193
Original post by PVHickson
Hi Diiiii! List is looking great :smile: wasn't Alice in Wonderland written by Lewis Carroll though? And one from my childhood, absolutely loved the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke :tongue:

Hi :smile:
Omg, sorry. I've made a huge mistake there. Will correct it asap.
I remember Inkheart as well, read the book and loved it but never got to read the next two books. I really want to read the next two so I'll definitely add that to the list :biggrin:
Reply 194
Original post by Diiiii
I remember Inkheart as well, read the book and loved it but never got to read the next two books. I really want to read the next two so I'll definitely add that to the list :biggrin:

Just thought i will check your list of books and the list is great! Oh my God, i loved inkheart as well and although i never got to finish it but it is now on my list of books to read.
I read a book years ago while still at school called The Dolphin Crossing. I can't remember who it's by. It's about a boy (teenager)living on the coast in WW2 who befriends an evacuee from London who is being bullied. Together they fix an old boat and sail across the channel to assist in the Dunkirk evacuation. It's not a very long book but it was quite thought provoking.

Boy and Going Solo- Roald Dahl's autobiographies are wonderful to read. He had an amazing early life and experienced things we will never get the opportunity to.

Regarding Pride and Prejudice, if you want to see a good adaptation then the 1995 BBC version is way better than the keira knightly film, and that's without considering a young Colin Firth walking dripping wet out of a lake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
Original post by Diiiii

Haha not a problem :smile: this list is definitely going to take some getting through now! And the next two are really good, even at 18 I still love re-reading the series :biggrin:

Original post by Maroosh
Just thought i will check your list of books and the list is great! Oh my God, i loved inkheart as well and although i never got to finish it but it is now on my list of books to read.

^ It's a definite must read :smile: I'm that nerdy I've got a copy in the original german (I did AS German - don't worry I didn't just buy it on a whim) so I'll have to see how far through I can get without google translate
Reply 197
Jig by Campbell Armstrong I think, very good book about the ira

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
Original post by zach18
Jig by Campbell Armstrong I think, very good book about the ira

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: Will add this as well.
Reply 199
Original post by SmegSlayer
I read a book years ago while still at school called The Dolphin Crossing. I can't remember who it's by. It's about a boy (teenager)living on the coast in WW2 who befriends an evacuee from London who is being bullied. Together they fix an old boat and sail across the channel to assist in the Dunkirk evacuation. It's not a very long book but it was quite thought provoking.

Boy and Going Solo- Roald Dahl's autobiographies are wonderful to read. He had an amazing early life and experienced things we will never get the opportunity to.

Regarding Pride and Prejudice, if you want to see a good adaptation then the 1995 BBC version is way better than the keira knightly film, and that's without considering a young Colin Firth walking dripping wet out of a lake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll add The Dolphin Crossing :smile: Sounds like it's definitely worth a read (I love books that have anything to do with animals as well :smile: )

I've read both Boy and Going Solo and I definitely agree with you about his experiences. It's such a wonderful read, funny and also heart warming especially when you read about his family. Thanks for that. I'll add both of them too. I saw both the books the other day and thought I'd read them again too :smile:

:lol: Sounds like that adaptation is worth a watch as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending