The Student Room Group

A level Edexcel History Course work

I wasted my summer by not doing enough work.
Now I need to find a way to make up time.
My course work question is What was the main factor that led to Hitler’s consolidation?
I need three historians that debate on this topic - preferably historians that argue that is was the Reichstag fire, the terror state or the enabling act.
I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIND INTERPRETATIONS - for example i found a book by an academic historian but it doesn't give his opinion clearly. It would give information on the reichstag fire but doesn't state that the reichstag fire was the main factor. so do i just write that he argues that the reichstag fire was the main reason.

After the research, I would be good because i know how to structure and i'm pretty good at writing. Please help me.
Thank you!
Original post by studentr.3
I wasted my summer by not doing enough work.
Now I need to find a way to make up time.
My course work question is What was the main factor that led to Hitler’s consolidation?
I need three historians that debate on this topic - preferably historians that argue that is was the Reichstag fire, the terror state or the enabling act.
I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIND INTERPRETATIONS - for example i found a book by an academic historian but it doesn't give his opinion clearly. It would give information on the reichstag fire but doesn't state that the reichstag fire was the main factor. so do i just write that he argues that the reichstag fire was the main reason.

After the research, I would be good because i know how to structure and i'm pretty good at writing. Please help me.
Thank you!

You should be getting some guidance from your teacher. Usually they will direct you towards certain interpretations. More to the point, you shouldn’t be getting help with your coursework really, as you have to sign a form saying all the work is your own, the structure is up to you (you will usually be offered some guidance on this however)

As for books stating more than one opinion, when doing ours we were told to pick an argument from the book that the author appears to agree with, and use it, despite perhaps them disagreeing later. For example, we did “What was the Main Reason for US Failure in Vietnam?”. I wanted to do the government of Saigon, but initially couldn’t find a book that explicitly stated this as the reason. I expressed my concern regarding this, and my teacher told me to just use what I wanted from the book and ignore the rest.

HOWEVER, my teacher did say, although for most people’s work the exam board won’t even get access to their coursework, nor read the books, she warned me that my coursework may be sent in to the exam board (which it was) and they may read around the topic area. Luckily, I found a book that agreed with my point in the end. But just a word of warning if you do this.

Perhaps if there isn’t a book agreeing with your point, it isn’t a very good point to argue? Try being less specific with your arguments perhaps, I don’t think any historian is going to solely argue your three chosen factors because ( for instance) it wasn’t just the Enabling Act that led to Hitler’s power consolidation. It is your own work, and thus you must work this out for yourself. Your best bet is to ask your teacher.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lightningparrot
You should be getting some guidance from your teacher. Usually they will direct you towards certain interpretations. More to the point, you shouldn’t be getting help with your coursework really, as you have to sign a form saying all the work is your own, the structure is up to you (you will usually be offered some guidance on this however)

As for books stating more than one opinion, when doing ours we were told to pick an argument from the book that the author appears to agree with, and use it, despite perhaps them disagreeing later. For example, we did “What was the Main Reason for US Failure in Vietnam?”. I wanted to do the government of Saigon, but initially couldn’t find a book that explicitly stated this as the reason. I expressed my concern regarding this, and my teacher told me to just use what I wanted from the book and ignore the rest.

HOWEVER, my teacher did say, although for most people’s work the exam board won’t even get access to their coursework, nor read the books, she warned me that my coursework may be sent in to the exam board (which it was) and they may read around the topic area. Luckily, I found a book that agreed with my point in the end. But just a word of warning if you do this.

Perhaps if there isn’t a book agreeing with your point, it isn’t a very good point to argue? Try being less specific with your arguments perhaps, I don’t think any historian is going to solely argue your three chosen factors because ( for instance) it wasn’t just the Enabling Act that led to Hitler’s power consolidation. It is your own work, and thus you must work this out for yourself. Your best bet is to ask your teacher.

Thank you so much for the advice!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending