The Student Room Group

'Glasgow debate leaves students on brink of tears'

Cambridge University students have mounted a boycott of a prestigious debating competition after two speakers, including one of their members who ranks amongst the best in the world, were left on brink of tears after being subjected to rhetoric of a cruder variety.
Students from Glasgow are alleged to have called out “Shame woman” and made derogatory comments about the physique and appearance of debaters Marlena Valles and Rebecca Meredith.
The Cambridge Union Society, the debating club of Cambridge University, today voted unanimously to revoke reciprocal membership with the Glasgow University Union. It said it will never send Cambridge debaters to Glasgow debates again.
One judge claimed she was called a ‘frigid b----’ when she complained about the heckling.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9907930/Cambridge-University-students-boycott-prestigious-debating-competition-over-sexist-heckling.html

What do people think of this?
Clearly sexism like this is wrong... While someone's debating it's just courtesy to let them talk, regardless of your own views.

Also here's responses from the people involved;
http://www.facebook.com/notes/pam-cohn/misogyny-in-debating-and-the-guu-ancients-final-2013-the-chief-adjudicators-resp/10151446531794886%20
http://www.facebook.com/notes/marlena-valles/misogyny-at-glasgow-ancients-a-response/10151264345151784
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do people think of this?
Clearly sexism like this is wrong... While someone's debating it's just courtesy to let them talk, regardless of your own views.

While at the GUU, it's common courtesy to heckle, jeer and cheer. Yes, OK, the place has an unreconstructed 1970s feel to it, but frankly that's why many people like it. It's a sort of Life on Mars in miniature.

I simply don't believe this is any more misogynistic than the Lassies' Reply at a Burns' Supper is misandric. It is, whether people want to hear it or not - and I am sure the Cambridge lot don't - banter.

The crap quote in the Telegraph about perpetuating a myth that debating is for white, upper-middle class men gibberish. I know of plenty of working class or different race people who have thrived in debating at Glasgow and there has never been the slightest hint of prejudice.
It seems an over-reaction that Cambridge Union have decided to revoke reciprocal membership with the GUU - the incident sounds like a one-off piece of troublemaking. It sounds from the Facebook notes as though they actually dealt with it pretty well. I think any kind of public debating situation involves being tested to some extent, albeit this one was rather extreme.
Reply 3
i think they need to calm down a bit... true the kiddies from GUU said some mean things and they should be put on the naughty step but Cambridge storming off in a huff and refusing to see them again? come on...
Reply 4
Those guys are complete idiots..........

What I don't get is why they weren't removed and why GUU told them to ignore them rather then actually dealing with them.

I think they need to be named and shamed and disciplined thoroughly, including officials from GUU who choose to do nothing about it. And to be fair, these days people just get a slap on the wrist, they need to know the consequences of their actions however of an over reaction so that they make an effort to fix things.
Reply 5
Everyone has the right to debate, and trying to silence people with personal comments and sexist remarks is crude, immature and vile. I hope they name and shame the individuals in question, it's not acceptable to bully people particularly in somewhere that ought to be a safe space.
Reply 6
Of course the shouts and comments etc were wrong, but how can she be in the top 20 speakers if she starts bubbling when someone heckles her?
Reply 7
Original post by c_al
Of course the shouts and comments etc were wrong, but how can she be in the top 20 speakers if she starts bubbling when someone heckles her?

I donno perhaps the content of her speech :eek:?!
Reply 8
Original post by Carecup
I donno perhaps the content of her speech :eek:?!

Being a good speaker is about more than having the right content or else they would be as well just writing an essay on the subject.
Reply 9
Original post by c_al
Being a good speaker is about more than having the right content or else they would be as well just writing an essay on the subject.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9907930/Cambridge-University-students-boycott-prestigious-debating-competition-over-sexist-heckling.html

I quote: two speakers, including one of their members who ranks amongst the best in the world, were left on brink of tears after being subjected to rhetoric of a cruder variety

Is being amongst the best in the world, as described by the Telegraph, enough to constitute being a good speaker? I think so. They weren't critiquing the debate, they were bullying women for having the audacity to be there. I hope they get due punishment, it is entirely unacceptable, especially coming from men who are in receipt of a university education.
Reply 10
shameful behaviour
Does anyone have the video of this debate?
Original post by edithwashere

I quote: two speakers, including one of their members who ranks amongst the best in the world, were left on brink of tears after being subjected to rhetoric of a cruder variety

Is being amongst the best in the world, as described by the Telegraph, enough to constitute being a good speaker? I think so. They weren't critiquing the debate, they were bullying women for having the audacity to be there. I hope they get due punishment, it is entirely unacceptable, especially coming from men who are in receipt of a university education.

You've missed his point entirely. He was driving at the fact that you'd think somebody who's ranked as one of the best speakers in the world would have the guile, confidence and intellect to deal with some immature hecklers.

It's like being the best comedian in the world and then running off in tears because somebody shouted at you on stage.
Original post by RollerBall
You've missed his point entirely. He was driving at the fact that you'd think somebody who's ranked as one of the best speakers in the world would have the guile, confidence and intellect to deal with some immature hecklers.

It's like being the best comedian in the world and then running off in tears because somebody shouted at you on stage.

I would not expect to enter a debate at university level and be called a bitch. They did not deserve it, if the heckles were related to the debate it would be fine, the point is that they were rude personal comments and that is not acceptable.

They didn't run off the stage, they kept going - the "nearly in tears several times" comment was made by one of them later on.
Reply 15

Nothing like.
You expect certain etiquete as a debater. Heckling - especially irrelevant and derogatory heckling - is not to be expected.
They've clearly never had to deal with anything like that before so of course they're going to be thrown off.

Also, taken from one of their responses;

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
From speaking to some older debaters, it seems that things have changed in 'debate land' - there isn't as much heckling and debate speeches themselves have become more about substance rather than style. Whether or not this is a good or bad thing is a moot point, however I see nothing wrong with some heckling and I, as a participant, certainly dish some out.

However, heckling of the nature described is completely unacceptable.
Original post by edithwashere
I would not expect to enter a debate at university level and be called a bitch. They did not deserve it, if the heckles were related to the debate it would be fine, the point is that they were rude personal comments and that is not acceptable.

I can tell you've never debated. Go look up what straw manning is and come back. Jesus wept.
I can tell you've never debated. Go look up what straw manning is and come back. Jesus wept.

Lol, I've won awards at debating and of course I know what straw manning is, but it isn't applicable here because nobody was using straw man arguments at all... methinks you're the bad debater here honey.
Reply 19

Because she expects common courtesy?

You've clearly never been in a half decent formal debate in which the participants and audience show each other respect... :rolleyes:

edit; and it's clearly you who doesn't understand what a straw man argument is.
(admittedly I'd not heard the term before but I think I've heard it as reductio ad absurdum)
Shouting misogynistic things isn't reductio ad absurdum, it's what it is; misogynistic and archaic. And regardless whether it is relevant, debaters should be allowed to make their points without being mocked...
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending