The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

OFFERS for common law at Glasgow

Hey guys just a question I've been reading a bunch of discussions on the platform and im really confused cause ive been told that we wont hear back from uni UNTIL the 31st of January because "everyone gets a fair chance of getting in and equal consideration" but a bunch of people say they got an offer 8 days after they apply ?? help im stressing . I applied for common law btw
Original post by spam44
Hey guys just a question I've been reading a bunch of discussions on the platform and im really confused cause ive been told that we wont hear back from uni UNTIL the 31st of January because "everyone gets a fair chance of getting in and equal consideration" but a bunch of people say they got an offer 8 days after they apply ?? help im stressing . I applied for common law btw

It is incorrect to say that no-one will hear back until 31st January, although it is correct to say that every application received by that date will be considered equally. Those two statements are not mutually exclusive.

Suppose you're an admissions tutor for a course with 250 places. You know from past experience that you get 50-100 applicants each year which are an absolutely definite "yes" (based upon their predicted grades or whatever criteria you use). As such applications arrive you may as well make them an offer.

Then, from past experience, you know that you'll likely get 200-300 other strong applications. You can't risk making all of these applicants an offer too as they may all accept the offer and then go on to achieve the required grades - and you'd have too many students. So you might want to wait until after 31st January for these candidates.

Different courses at different unis will make different judgements with regards to the above. Some will not make any offers until after 31st January. Some will make offers on a rolling basis as applications arrive as experience tells them they can get away with doing so without risking making too many offers.

Unis can also treat different types of applications differently in this regards. Contextual or international students may be handled differently, for example.

You say "a bunch of people say they got an offer 8 days after they apply". What this for the same course at the same university, and are the same type of student as you? If not, their offers are irrelevant.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
It is incorrect to say that no-one will hear back until 31st January, although it is correct to say that every application received by that date will be considered equally. Those two statements are not mutually exclusive.

Suppose you're an admissions tutor for a course with 250 places. You know from past experience that you get 50-100 applicants each year which are an absolutely definite "yes" (based upon their predicted grades or whatever criteria you use). As such applications arrive you may as well make them an offer.

Then, from past experience, you know that you'll likely get 200-300 other strong applications. You can't risk making all of these applicants an offer too as they may all accept the offer and then go on to achieve the required grades - and you'd have too many students. So you might want to wait until after 31st January for these candidates.

Different courses at different unis will make different judgements with regards to the above. Some will not make any offers until after 31st January. Some will make offers on a rolling basis as applications arrive as experience tells them they can get away with doing so without risking making too many offers.

Unis can also treat different types of applications differently in this regards. Contextual or international students may be handled differently, for example.

You say "a bunch of people say they got an offer 8 days after they apply". What this for the same course at the same university, and are the same type of student as you? If not, their offers are irrelevant.

Fair enough that makes a lot of sense , thank you for clearing this up. I have an AAA predicted grades , a relatively strong personal statement when it comes to extracurricular ( Head Girl, Ted Talk ,Debate Club President , MUNs , EYPs, Harvard Edx course ) and work experiences (3 internships in top law firms in Europe). I know that those are all irrelevant if my LNAT score is too low. I was just wondering what you think my chances are would I be those "secured" student or are my grades too low ..
Original post by spam44
Fair enough that makes a lot of sense , thank you for clearing this up. I have an AAA predicted grades , a relatively strong personal statement when it comes to extracurricular ( Head Girl, Ted Talk ,Debate Club President , MUNs , EYPs, Harvard Edx course ) and work experiences (3 internships in top law firms in Europe). I know that those are all irrelevant if my LNAT score is too low. I was just wondering what you think my chances are would I be those "secured" student or are my grades too low ..

I don't know how Glasgow handle their offer process, for Law or for any other course. The description above was meant to illustrate how different unis might handle things.

If Glasgow make offers to the strongest Law candidates before the 31st January equal consideration deadline, but to most candidates after it, then I suspect that you would be in the "after it" group. That guess is based solely on that fact that A-level standard entry requirements are AAA and you are predicted AAA.

As I said, I don't know - this is pure speculation.
Hi, I just got a conditional offer today from Glasgow for common law! The offer was AAA but aside from that, it stated 'LNAT score that meets acceptable minimum score threshold, which will be determined after the UCAS Equal Consideration deadline on 31 January 2024' Does anyone happen to know what does that mean exactly? As I have already taken the NAT, does that mean my LNAT was fine and as long as I can get AAA, my place can be secured? Or does that mean Glasgow hasn't received my LNAT score yet, and they may recall my offer if my LNAT score was bad? thank you so much😭😭😭😭😭
Original post by Jenna Hansley
Hi, I just got a conditional offer today from Glasgow for common law! The offer was AAA but aside from that, it stated 'LNAT score that meets acceptable minimum score threshold, which will be determined after the UCAS Equal Consideration deadline on 31 January 2024' Does anyone happen to know what does that mean exactly? As I have already taken the NAT, does that mean my LNAT was fine and as long as I can get AAA, my place can be secured? Or does that mean Glasgow hasn't received my LNAT score yet, and they may recall my offer if my LNAT score was bad? thank you so much😭😭😭😭😭

It means that until they receive all "equal consideration" applications, they won't know where to set the LNAT cut-off.

So, right now, I'd say you're fine. But if between now and 31st January they receive hundreds of applications from candidates with very high LNAT scores, then they might need to raise the LNAT cut-off.

That might mean that your score is then below the cut-off, meaning you haven't met the offer conditions. :frown:
Original post by DataVenia

It means that until they receive all "equal consideration" applications, they won't know where to set the LNAT cut-off.

So, right now, I'd say you're fine. But if between now and 31st January they receive hundreds of applications from candidates with very high LNAT scores, then they might need to raise the LNAT cut-off.

That might mean that your score is then below the cut-off, meaning you haven't met the offer conditions. :frown:

omg thank you so much for clarifying that!!! I understand now xx
Reply 7
question how does everyone get an "equal consideration" if they start accepting student before the dead line ? does that mean that the earlier you apply the more likely there is to have spots left ? im confuseddd
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by spam44
question how does everyone get an "equal consideration" if they start accepting student before the dead line ? does that mean that the earlier you apply the more likely there is to have spots left ? im confuseddd

I answered that question above, 6 days ago. You responded, "Fair enough that makes a lot of sense , thank you for clearing this up." Does it suddenly no longer make sense?

As long as you apply by the equal consideration deadline, then the date you apply does not impact whether or not you get an offer. If your predicted grades (and other criteria) are sufficiently strong, than they make make you an offer without waiting until every other application arrives, as they know (from previous experience) they'll have plenty of spaces left after having done so.
Original post by spam44

no it doesn’t. If you are a definite yes you would be a definite yes after or before the equal consideration deadline. Those are the only people getting offers before. If you are a maybe (they aren’t certain wether or not you will be given a place) then they will wait until after to gauge the general standard in applicants which is what makes it equal consideration.

you aren’t being hard done by just because some people get offers before the deadline.
Hi All, Hope you're good

Great to hear you've applied to study here at the University of Glasgow. Firstly, if you haven't heard back, there is absolutely nothing to worry about!

In many cases, we will wait until we have reviewed all applications received by the 31 January 2024 (6pm) deadline before decisions are made. Our admissions team aim to have all offers out by 31st March, however, due to the large volume of applications we receive it may be after this date. Our team is working hard to process all applications as quickly as possible.

As soon as a decision is made, you'll be notified via your UCAS Hub. Hope this has helped clarify the situation

Thanks,
Niall

UK Recruitment - University of Glasgow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending