The Student Room Group

I failed my English Language GCSE - I'm in tears.

'm a guy btw. I was so positive that I got an A/B in this exam. I don't understand. I got Bs and As in my mocks, and I honestly believed that the paper I got a D in was like 100X better than the mocks. I was so excited to open my paper, and when I saw that D my heart sunk. English was a subject I took pride in. People who usually fail in class passed this paper, and I was so embarrassed. I don't understand where I went wrong. There was this guy sat next to me and litteraly he did nothing and he just chilled out during the exam and he got a B (four marks off an A). Im just thinking what if they mixed our papers up - Like seriously. In section 5 the question was so similar to a practise paper we did in class which I got an A in. I wrote that in section 5 but of course I changed it to suit the question. I'm in tears and I have such a **** feeling. I doubt my English teacher will let me retake for the higher because I got a D just by 1 mark.

Is it possible that they accidently swapped papers? Like seriously I don't understand how this happened.

Can I get my paper back ? I want to see if they marked it correctly.
Thank you.

='(
Reply 1
Original post by Majeee97
'm a guy btw. I was so positive that I got an A/B in this exam. I don't understand. I got Bs and As in my mocks, and I honestly believed that the paper I got a D in was like 100X better than the mocks. I was so excited to open my paper, and when I saw that D my heart sunk. English was a subject I took pride in. People who usually fail in class passed this paper, and I was so embarrassed. I don't understand where I went wrong. There was this guy sat next to me and litteraly he did nothing and he just chilled out during the exam and he got a B (four marks off an A). Im just thinking what if they mixed our papers up - Like seriously. In section 5 the question was so similar to a practise paper we did in class which I got an A in. I wrote that in section 5 but of course I changed it to suit the question. I'm in tears and I have such a **** feeling. I doubt my English teacher will let me retake for the higher because I got a D just by 1 mark.

Is it possible that they accidently swapped papers? Like seriously I don't understand how this happened.

Thank you.

='(

It's what happened to me in maths, I was all set for the A* and then I get an A :/ Anyways, this is not the final so you can retake, what your gonna have to do if your teacher doesnt let you retake is go to the exam board direct and then take the exam again in an exam center instead of school. But you cant get the paper back, you might want to remark though?
We got these results today and on average people got about 2 grades below what they got in their mocks. Our eenglish class had about 8 people predicted a* and about the same predicted an a- only 3 people got above a b and there were some people who got 25+ marks less than they did in the mocks. Also in are year of about 450 people, there were only 8a* and it's not a bad school.
so hopefully the grade boundaries will be extremely low.
How has every one else done in this exam? What were there schools grades like? Because if everyone struggled there will hopefully be low grade boundries
Original post by Majeee97

Thank you.

='(

*Hugs*

Yes, you can get it back through school. Apparently AQA are providing our school with all the exam scripts for free. If you think you definitely deserve higher then I advise a remark; but if you got As and Bs in your mocks then your teachers knows that you do have the potential to achieve higher, so I think if you wanted to retake it you'd be supported. English is a very subjective subject; what one marker regards as being worth 16/24 may be worth 22/14 to another. It's unfortunate, but some of it really does depend on the personal opinion of the examiner. If you get it remarked then another examiner with a different mindset may give you a higher mark; but if you get a lower grade in your remark you'd have to keep that.

It was an awful exam though. Awful.
Original post by jakjak158
We got these results today and on average people got about 2 grades below what they got in their mocks. Our eenglish class had about 8 people predicted a* and about the same predicted an a- only 3 people got above a b and there were some people who got 25+ marks less than they did in the mocks. Also in are year of about 450 people, there were only 8a* and it's not a bad school.
so hopefully the grade boundaries will be extremely low.
How has every one else done in this exam? What were there schools grades like? Because if everyone struggled there will hopefully be low grade boundries

Someone in my school got over 70 marks, which is crazy!!

I got 66 and my teacher mentioned resitting it to me, just because we think the A* boundary may lie in the mid-late 60s (probably between 64 and 68).

Most people at my school didn't do very well. Most people predicted A*s got Bs, and out of all the people doing the foundation exam, not a single person got a C.

It's really very terrible. I think at least 85% of people are wanting to retake.

Quick Reply

Latest