Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Give the monomers of Kevlar and state its use (3)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    Give the monomers of Kevlar and state its use (3)
    Benzene-1,4- diamine and benzene-1,4-dicarboxylic acid. It's used in body armour, eg bulletproof vests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Benzene-1,4- diamine and benzene-1,4-dicarboxylic acid. It's used in body armour, eg bulletproof vests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perfect !

My turn

By the way how was ur special day yesterday? did you get nice gifts
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Perfect !

My turn

By the way how was ur special day yesterday? did you get nice gifts
    Thanks and it was quite nice, just a little quiet celebration was enough for me.

Okay explain the limitations of GC and why do they combine it with MS, eg the advantages (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and it was quite nice, just a little quiet celebration was enough for me.

Okay explain the limitations of GC and why do they combine it with MS, eg the advantages (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Limitations of GC= Not all the components in the mixture are separated as some components are hidden beneath other components with a higher concentration, Components (lot) may have the same area under the peak , retention time , detection of component may be the same.

They combine GC with MS so that it can give a more clearer and reliable result as into identify the compound/substance, this gives an accurate indication of what the mixture/component may be and has many uses such as, used in space probes, airport security, environmental analysis and for detecting drugs in atheletes

ReputationRep:
    yes

1) 2 carbon environments

2) in the proton NMR you would expect a quartet (3 adjacnet hydrogen atoms) and triplet( 2 adjacent hydrogen atoms)
    Correct!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Limitations of GC= Not all the components in the mixture are separated as some components are hidden beneath other components with a higher concentration, Components (lot) may have the same area under the peak , retention time , detection of component may be the same.

They combine GC with MS so that it can give a more clearer and reliable result as into identify the compound/substance, this gives an accurate indication of what the mixture/component may be and has many uses such as, used in space probes, airport security, environmental analysis and for detecting drugs in atheletes
    Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reneetaylor)
    Correct!
    thanks

Describe how a GC-MS is used (4)

ReputationRep:
    Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am starting to hate Chromatography!!

Give the substance used for liquid stationary phase in TLC and define mobile phase (3)

ReputationRep:
    thanks

I'm going to but in on this one...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. The GS is able to separate the components of a substance
    2. The Mass Spec is able to positively identify the substance through the molecular ion peak which tells you the mass number
    3. Together you can positively identify a compound

Have a missed anything?

My question is what happens if you change the conditions of a fuel cell? (oops just realised this is unit 5 but answer anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by master y)
    I'm going to but in on this one...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. The GS is able to separate the components of a substance
    2. The Mass Spec is able to positively identify the substance through the molecular ion peak which tells you the mass number
    3. Together you can positively identify a compound

Have a missed anything?

My question is what happens if you change the conditions of a fuel cell?
    3/4 good, but mention that you are comparing the values using a spectral data base!

my turn
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I am starting to hate Chromatography!!

Give the substance used for liquid stationary phase in TLC and define mobile phase (3)
    Isn't it just a solvent? And isn't it the phase that moves in chromatography?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thanks

A GC-MS consists of gas chromotography and mass spectometry, which are two types of analytical techniques.

Gas chromotography splits the sample into constituent components
    Mass spectometry splits molecules according to mass and allows them to be presented on a data sheet for comparison.

GC-MS can be used in space, on analysing substances found on planets
    GC-MS can be used in measuring pollution levels, for example measuring substances found in water
    GC-MS can be used for forensics, to analyse DNA found at a crime scene
    GC-MS can be used for drug testing, for example in sports, to see whether substances which will increase athletic ability in competitive games.

ReputationRep:
    3/4 good, but mention that you are comparing the values using a spectral data base!

my turn
    What is the difference between proteins and polyamides?

ReputationRep:

my turn
    difference between the interaction of the molecules (in terms of bonding) with a solid stationary phase and a liquid stationary phase.

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between proteins and polyamides?

Proteins , are made of monomers of amino acid

Proteins have different variable (R) group

Polyamides is a condensation polymerisation reaction in which consists of 2 diamine and 2 carboxylic acid.

Polyamides is an amide linkage and proteins are formed from monomers of amino acid by condensation and a peptide bond is formed between amino acids.

ReputationRep:
    A GC-MS consists of gas chromotography and mass spectometry, which are two types of analytical techniques.

Gas chromotography splits the sample into constituent components
    Mass spectometry splits molecules according to mass and allows them to be presented on a data sheet for comparison.

GC-MS can be used in space, on analysing substances found on planets
    GC-MS can be used in measuring pollution levels, for example measuring substances found in water
    GC-MS can be used for forensics, to analyse DNA found at a crime scene
    GC-MS can be used for drug testing, for example in sports, to see whether substances which will increase athletic ability in competitive games.
    yes , your examples secured the majority of marks, 4/4

ReputationRep:
    difference between the interaction of the molecules (in terms of bonding) with a solid stationary phase and a liquid stationary phase.
    correct

my turn

ReputationRep:
    Proteins , are made of monomers of amino acid

Proteins have different variable (R) group

Polyamides is a condensation polymerisation reaction in which consists of 2 diamine and 2 carboxylic acid.

Polyamides is an amide linkage and proteins are formed from monomers of amino acid by condensation and a peptide bond is formed between amino acids.
    spot on! how do you know this stuff so well.... TELL US YOUR SECRETS! :P

ReputationRep:
    spot on! how do you know this stuff so well.... TELL US YOUR SECRETS! :P

I finished revision and just doing papers, like legacy

Define Rf

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.