The Student Room Group

Phishing Attempt Disguised as Oxford

I just received an email from [email protected] titled "Life in Oxford: The Virtual Open Day".

The email contains "details" about graduate admission and funding, as well as a fake invitation to a virtual open day. It also has several links that lead to outside sources having no connection to Oxford or any of its colleges.

To anyone who has also gotten this email--it is a phishing attempt. Do not click any of the links. They are disguised using html code that makes them say things like "graduate.ox.ac.uk" but they link to another website that I presume will be asking you to fill in data.

If you get this email, the best thing to do would be to flag it as spam and delete it without even opening it. I guarantee you will not be missing out on anything.

Just wanted to let everyone know. And if a mod thinks this belongs somewhere else, please move it as I don't want anyone to run into problems because of it.

Beware of Phishing! Play safe on the internet =)
(edited 11 years ago)
If you could send the email on to [email protected] (per the Oxford IT services website), I'm sure it would be gratefully received.

This seems particularly serious if someone has somehow got hold of the email addresses of applicants.
Reply 2
Original post by fluteflute
If you could send the email on to [email protected] (per the Oxford IT services website), I'm sure it would be gratefully received.

This seems particularly serious if someone has somehow got hold of the email addresses of applicants.

I've done just that. Thank you for the advice =)
Reply 3
I've also got this email. Also the big link to "Virtual Open Day" does actually link you on to Oxford's website.

I'm not that internet savvy. Was it a big deal that I actually clicked the link?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Scary! But thank you for the very kind heads up! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending