The Student Room Group

My GHD's have made my hair fall out! Help!

I've been straightening my hair for 7 years now. Of course, I know strightening isn't great for my hair, but since I have horrible, unruly, frizzy 'triangle' hair, it's the only way I can look attractive :biggrin:

However, 2 months ago I invested in some GHD's, bought expensive professional L'oreal hair repairing shampoo/deep conditionor and bought some of that argon oil for blowdrying and heat protection/smooting cream for straightening.

For the first time, my hair was managable and straight and I wore it down for a month! However, for some reason, my hairs suddenly gone thin and has been falling out. I switched to better products/less heat and this happens!

My question is, does anyone have any good tips on straightening hair without so much damage? I always use heat protection, blow dry it when it's almost dry etc. Trust me when I say my hair looks horrible if I don't straighten it, so I don't want to stop.

Any tips on how to repair my hair/stop this happening again?:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Free.Help
I've been straightening my hair for 7 years now. Of course, I know strightening isn't great for my hair, but since I have horrible, unruly, frizzy 'triangle' hair, it's the only way I can look attractive :biggrin:

However, 2 months ago I invested in some GHD's, bought expensive professional L'oreal hair repairing shampoo/deep conditionor and bought some of that argon oil for blowdrying and heat protection/smooting cream for straightening.

For the first time, my hair was managable and straight and I wore it down for a month! However, for some reason, my hairs suddenly gone thin and has been falling out. I switched to better products/less heat and this happens!

My question is, does anyone have any good tips on straightening hair without so much damage? I always use heat protection, blow dry it when it's almost dry etc. Trust me when I say my hair looks horrible if I don't straighten it, so I don't want to stop.

Any tips on how to repair my hair/stop this happening again?:smile:

I'd suggest blow drying the hair straight. There are loads of tutorials on how to do this and it is a lot less damaging
Reply 2
Original post by YB101
I'd suggest blow drying the hair straight. There are loads of tutorials on how to do this and it is a lot less damaging

But isn't that the same as straightening it as it's still heat?
Reply 3
Original post by Free.Help
But isn't that the same as straightening it as it's still heat?

Blow drying it straight is a lot less damaging because there is less contact with the heat, your hair isn't trapped between two hot plates. However you might find just blow drying it straight won't give quite the same effect, and will stay straight for a much shorter time. You could try blow drying it straight, then just tidying it up with the straighteners. Also, make sure the product you're using is actually for heat defence, not just smoothing. :smile:
You could always try going to a professional salon and getting a Brazilian (keratin) blow dry.
[video="youtube;aFxW_18DGZo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFxW_18DGZo[/video]
Reply 5
My hair fell out from dying it a billion different colours (namely from bleach). It got to the point where i couldn't brush it cus so much was coming out, So I had to, much to my disappointment, get it all cut short. Since getting it short, I use certain products on my hair and I just tie it up, I only have it down and straightened when I'm going out for the night. I know it's not ideal but just give it a break for a few weeks and let it regain it's strength. Also, make sure you don't wash your hair every day, try every other day or even every 3 days, this gives your hair a chance to regain it's natural oils and is good for the hair. Don't always blowdry your hair after washing it too, eg. if you are just in the house all day towel try it and then let the rest dry naturally. And maybe get it cut so it's healthier.

There are also the following hair treatments I recommend:

-Once a week do a conditioning treatment in your hair, leave it in for a couple of hours with a cap on and then rinse out.
-keep using Argon oil, its highly recommended, but what is even better albeit more expensive is Macadamia oil - this is a life saver- it stopped my hair falling out and it smells so good! the only problem i'd say is the cost- most salons sell the proper stuff but it's £10 for the tiniest bottle - look online to see if you can find it for cheaper. I'd say it is really worth it though because it lasts a while and really does help.
-Coconut oil - i've heard numerous things about this being the best thing out there for hair growth and repairment- you can buy it online for quite cheap and you simply put a few drops into your hair. I've also heard that consuming a few tablespoons a day can greatly improve hair and skin
-JOICO KPAC Treatment is great, most salons sell it. Its numerous prices depending on the size - I got mine on amazon a massive bottle for £30 , but I would say get a smaller one to try it out first. The only thing I would say about this is although it is an amazing treatment for your hair and smells great (as soon as I put it in I could feel it working on the roots) it dries out your hair so much, so only keep in for a few hours then condition the hair thoroughly.
-Give yourself head massages, this stimulates root growth, for example a conditioning treatment - take half an hour to massage it all thoroughly into your hair in circular motions
-Matrix Biolage also do a range of treatments
-There are other hair treatments, just google it and loads comes up
Oh eck. You might want to be sure that it's actually this that's causing it. Is it really that drastic? Sometimes my hair goes through spells of falling out a lot and getting thin if I'm stressed, not eating right, got too much sun (obviously not the problem here though haha). I'm afraid I can't give tips other than that though, I straighten mine to death too. Good luck OP!
Are you sure it the straightening, it could just be age, my hair has been getting gradually thinner and thinner since my late teens I now have it short cos it looks better.
It could be be any number of things stress, poor diet or even some medications can cause hair loss.
Reply 8
Make sure you're eating plenty of protein. This is good to promote hair growth and it will also strengthen your hair. Do you go over your hair with straighteners every single day? Try blow dry your hair, if you learn how to blow dry properly it can last longer than straightening hair. Try blowdrying your hair finishing it off with straighteners then leave it for a day or so

Quick Reply

Latest