The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Glad it's not just me who found it incredibly hard! I feel like all my effort was for nothing and I'm gonna come out with an E and get chucked out of college and I really want to study psychology at uni :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by buzfail
Perhaps if you had revised properly you would have found it easy as well?

Excuse me but that's rude, how do you know they didn't revise properly. There is no proper way to revise.
It was a hard paper,one of the worst. Maybe your just over confident.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by buzfail

wow. what an idiotic thing to say. i don't like arrogant and overly confident people. they probably did revise extremely hard. just like i did but i still found it difficult. pipe down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1623
Original post by claudiajones
love this so much haha. i've been feeling terrible watching people comparing their answers then worrying cause i didn't put what they did haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw don't worry about it! I find that after exams i only focus on the bad points, and i forget that actually i had good times as-well! I think we are blinded by the good points we put because there's so much negative energy spent on the "ooh that was hard what did you put" "i didnt put that!!!" types of questions haha. Sure you've done brilliant :smile:
Original post by ljh950912
I think you were meant to explain the procedure

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it was whatever was used to collect the data; self reports, questionnaires etc. But who knows, I haven't encountered that question in the past papers I'd done before. Best of luck to you!

Original post by amylaauren
I wrote about questionnaires and video clips

Posted from TSR Mobile

Likewise haha! Hope that was right. I was nervous about that one.

Original post by bunny96
Ended up doing the twelve marker in five minutes. I feel sorry for the examiner who has to read my writing haha :smile:

That made me laugh; I can relate. I rushed in the last 10 minutes and somehow managed to think of four strengths and four weaknesses! God help me my hand was strained after that exam.

Good luck!
Original post by ttreb
To everyone worrying about what they put DON'T!!! I know thats the stupidest advice because these exams mean a lot, but honestly you truly will not know until August. The stress and panic in exams makes us think worst than we actually did and you'll find that the answers you gave were actually very good. Talking about it and going over does help, but try to give yourself a break and don't compare answers. The great thing about core studies is that they accept "any other suitable answer" and so what you think is awful and stupid, may actually be a valid point. Essentially you really can't do anything about it now. I found psych investigations terrible and wasted about a week being really upset about it, but then you realise that August will show how well or how not so well we didn't do. Any time between then and now is just a guessing game so please don't worry over the exam today. Think of the times you've stressed over and exam and been so stressed knowing you did awful, but on results day, you did brilliant. If results day isn't what you expect and is truly terrible (mine may be) then we have so many options from then on. Remarks, retakes, take a gap year, take another AS next year to boost grades etc... just don't panic tonight. Forget about the exam :smile:

Thanks for typing this out, it makes me feel slightly better. :smile: I think the issue here is I don't want to resit, or retake a the year ect ect. I guess I can't forget about it because I know I know the answers but its just memorising it. But I guess worrying about something that can't be changed is a bit useless... :s-smilie::frown:
I was really happy overall with the content; I spent most of the last two weeks re-reading the studies in detail, going over numbers and figures, and I didn't hesitate once when looking at the questions. I sound cocky and I apologise, I just am so surprised how much revision really does pay off. I slacked in January and I got a D in my Jan paper. I did a lot of past papers, really kicked in to high gear and I've been doing so well now. I really hope you all have done well! (Hell, I hope I've done well) I think I was just lucky Individual Differences came up - that, along with Social and Cognitive, was one of my favourite approaches. My wrist is still aching haha.

Also I was so so happy that none of the perspectives came up! (I'm sorry if you all revised that and were disappointed :frown: ) But I hadn't looked at the perspectives because I wanted to go over the approaches in a lot more detail. That sounds ridiculous in hindsight, but I'm hoping for the best. And dont worry all of you! It's not the end of the world! Having said that, if I bomb this exam - "ITS THE END OF THE WORLD" will be all I'm going to be screaming in August xD
(edited 10 years ago)
I just want to say thank you everyone for your resources on this it really helped especially the person who gave the presentations of most of the studies and the person that gave the word documents of the approaches and model answers AND the person that gave the model answers to baron cohen section B IT HELPED SO MUCH.. AND obviously i want to THANKS for the people that predicted Baorn Cohen and PHYSIOLOGICAL you guys are amazing helped me so much and i told my class that they will come up and they were shocked :biggrin: But seriously i really appreciate you guys that helped and predicted !!
Original post by buzfail

This is quite an ignorant thing to say whether you acknowledge it or not. Whilst in theory everyone is taking the same exam and everyone in theory can get an A or even 140UMS. There are many other factors to it. Whilst you/someone else may revise and may remember it what you revised others may not. The teaching quality may vary between students. Also the amount of exams someone had.

This isn't excusing anyone's performance on an exam. Its more your comment is extremely ignorant to say at the least of other people's abilities. I think Psychology is simply memorising it has very little to say with applying your knowledge. Its not about 'revising properly', maybe you are an A grade student or maybe you have this idea that everyone can get to x.

This is not the case. Everyone works hard. But some people will ultimately lose out. Its ignorant to say 'well you could have done this'. As you have no idea what other factors are affecting this person. It would stupid of you not to realise that actually exams are hit and miss. The right thing comes up and someone could have easily picked up 3/4 marks maybe even tipping them into the next grade boundary.

If everyone could have done something don't you think everyone in the world would have done by it? Its not just as easy as you make it. People do revise hard and sometimes a paper may trip them up. They couldn't have done more so its stupid saying 'if you would have revised properly'.

Maybe you mean it in a different sense. But tbh, offering advice to people at this stage is a little to late.
(edited 10 years ago)
I found the paper really good, Im estimating around 90 raw marks? I think that the grade boundaries for an A will be like normal (around 84/85) as even though Section C was like normal, there were a few questions which would have caught people out (Apparatus, Bandura, D+K results etc). I'm sure everyone here did really well x :^_^:

On another note, is anyone else doing the G544 paper on the 17th? We do it a year early and only learn the syllabus 2 weeks before..thus I have to go into school tomorrow to learn it, which sucks as I only have a few days of study leave left before going back to school on Monday!! :angry:
Original post by spongez
The grade boundaries never change drastically

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not my problem. And by the way even if the grade boundaries change by 1 or 2 marks it could make all the difference between grades so there u go.
Reply 1631
for anyone who wants to know to get 140/140 UMS you would need to get 101+ marks
thats based on the jan 2013 mark scheme so im guessing its around that area
(edited 10 years ago)
Physiological + Baron-Cohen came up, the only ones I did properly
Good predictions guys! ;D
Reply 1633
On the ev 8 marker if you did baren cohen did you have to say how it was high and low or just low? I couldn't think of how it was high at all :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Becky.96
On the ev 8 marker if you did baren cohen did you have to say how it was high and low or just low? I couldn't think of how it was high at all :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i put that is was high as it was a quasi experiment with a naturally occuring IV (the diagnosis of the patients) so it was representative of real life autistic, tourettes and clinically normal behaviour as it wasn't manipulated.. something along those lines :smile:
Reply 1635
Original post by leanne1996
i put that is was high as it was a quasi experiment with a naturally occuring IV (the diagnosis of the patients) so it was representative of real life autistic, tourettes and clinically normal behaviour as it wasn't manipulated.. something along those lines :smile:

You could also say for low ecological validity because of the small sample size of the autistic group
Original post by qs2xo
I wrote the same thing as you. I said the IQ test found that Eve white had an IQ of 110 compared to Eve Black who had an IQ of 104. I also said that the memory test found that Eve White had a more superior memory function that Eve Black

Hopefully we got full marks on that question then! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1637
Original post by Yellowglitter19
Excuse me but that's rude, how do you know they didn't revise properly. There is no proper way to revise.
It was a hard paper,one of the worst. Maybe your just over confident.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they wrote that they hadn't revised the physiological approach so straight away it becomes obvious that they hadn't revised properly. Sure there are different ways to revise but if you don't even bother going over the content, you then have no excuse for not being able to answer questions on it when it comes up.

Also, you're*.
Reply 1638
Original post by >Username<
This is quite an ignorant thing to say whether you acknowledge it or not. Whilst in theory everyone is taking the same exam and everyone in theory can get an A or even 140UMS. There are many other factors to it. Whilst you/someone else may revise and may remember it what you revised others may not. The teaching quality may vary between students. Also the amount of exams someone had.

This isn't excusing anyone's performance on an exam. Its more your comment is extremely ignorant to say at the least of other people's abilities. I think Psychology is simply memorising it has very little to say with applying your knowledge. Its not about 'revising properly', maybe you are an A grade student or maybe you have this idea that everyone can get to x.

This is not the case. Everyone works hard. But some people will ultimately lose out. Its ignorant to say 'well you could have done this'. As you have no idea what other factors are affecting this person. It would stupid of you not to realise that actually exams are hit and miss. The right thing comes up and someone could have easily picked up 3/4 marks maybe even tipping them into the next grade boundary.

If everyone could have done something don't you think everyone in the world would have done by it? Its not just as easy as you make it. People do revise hard and sometimes a paper may trip them up. They couldn't have done more so its stupid saying 'if you would have revised properly'.

Maybe you mean it in a different sense. But tbh, offering advice to people at this stage is a little to late.

They put in their comment that they didn't even bother to revise the physiological approach, and then complained that they couldn't answer questions on it.

I wasn't commenting on their style of revising, but the fact that they hadn't even revised all the content. I'm also not commenting on their ability to do well, but you get out what you put in and they didn't put in enough if they didn't attempt to revise everything that could come up.

Yes I am an A grade student but I work really really hard for my As so I have a good idea of what's required to do well, and missing out entire chunks (revising only 3/7 approaches/perspectives for example) is not it.

If they had really tried their best revision wise and still found the exam hard then I would be a bit more sympathetic.
Reply 1639
Original post by claudiajones
wow. what an idiotic thing to say. i don't like arrogant and overly confident people. they probably did revise extremely hard. just like i did but i still found it difficult. pipe down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The post I replied to clearly says "I didn't revise physiological" and then says the 2 approaches they did revise. There are 7 potential approaches/perspectives that can come up, so only revising 2 is not revising extremely hard. Revising extremely hard is revising all 7 thoroughly and practicing the questions for each of them. On section C the structure is the same every single year so there is no excuse for not knowing it inside out. At most you can leave out 1, but you can't leave out 5 and then expect to find it easy.

If you revised hard and still found it difficult then I am sympathetic to you. It just annoys me when people expect to be able to not put in 100% effort but get 100% results, it doesn't work like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending