The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ACBLISS
Bring it on -_- :angry:!

Some friendly competition is great but I don't want you to start crying when I thrash you :colone:
Reply 3461
anyone have any difficult c4 questions they've come across that they wanna post/any weird things which would be good to remember? trying to revise not just using past papers since the whole c3 incident haha
Does anyone have a step by step process on how to answer differential equations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chloe_P
lolwut
:colonhash:

Spoiler

:colondollar:

Spoiler

Sayanora all, back to STEP :wink:
Reply 3464
Original post by Econ1994
anyone have any difficult c4 questions they've come across that they wanna post/any weird things which would be good to remember? trying to revise not just using past papers since the whole c3 incident haha

Have a look at the Solomon questions, they're a similar tier of difficulty as yesterday's C3.
I have a bunch of weird things that people might want to look at if they have the Edexcel textbook:

I've posted a few weird ones I've done, they aren't too weird perse, but they've definitely got some tricky elements in them.

Also look over these exercises in the textbook:
Chapter 1:

Nothing too weird here because it's just partial fractions, but its worth doing Q3 on 1F (I've posted a picture of that one)

Also Q2d from 1F (pictured)

Chapter 2:

2C

2E

Chapter 3:

Learn the validity stuff, learn how to find it!

Learn how to find missing coefficients simultaneously

Q8, 10, 11 from 3D

Chapter 4: (i'm still working through this chapter so if I find anything weird I'll update this post)

Learn the proof for differentiation of y = ax

4F

Look at section 4.4, 4.5

Chapter 5: Vectors (I didn't find this section in the book TOO challenging but its still worth looking at)

Q11, Q14, Q9 on 5K

Chapter 6:

section 6.3 (6C)

section 6.5

section 6.6

section 6.11

Mixed exercise 6L

And the review exercise obviously.

Okay, hope this helps someone :smile:
After my c3 exam I have now comfirmed my placement at McDonalds for the remaining of my life.

Gl in life everyone!
Reply 3468
Original post by nukethemaly

You forgot the one key point - after the Replacement C3 Exam everyone should be reminded -

Please stay safe during The Replacement C4 Exam.
For Jan 13, Q8a), why does 1/(3-θ) become -ln(θ-3) and not -ln(3-θ) when integrated? Thanks.
Original post by MyNameIsRay
put each side in terms of y and x, then intergrate, with +C

sub in x and y to find the C value and then add it to the equation and put it into y^2 = f(x)

I tried, and got this:

What is the answer?
Original post by Felix Felicis
I agree. The exams have been becoming less and less similar over the recent years...if people are going to try and look for patterns, you would've thought they would've spotted this one and have taken the precaution of expecting a hard paper. :rolleyes: And clearly the words of someone who has never seen a STEP paper. :wink:

Ha, pos-repped to counter :wink: It can feel crushing that your uni place could've possibly been jeopardised because of this one exam but negging people who oppose your view is hardly going to change that. :lol: This paper should act as a salient reminder to expect the worst for C4...

STEPS is one of the reasons why I didn't want to do maths at uni, genuinely not cut out for being naturally good at maths :frown:

And I to you :wink: which maths exams are you doing this year?
Original post by Chris-69
For Jan 13, Q8a), why does 1/(3-θ) become -ln(θ-3) and not -ln(3-θ) when integrated? Thanks.

I did this earlier and I'm sure the markscheme said either is acceptable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anythingoo1
STEPS is one of the reasons why I didn't want to do maths at uni, genuinely not cut out for being naturally good at maths :frown:

And I to you :wink: which maths exams are you doing this year?

Have you spent much time on it? It can feel daunting at first, but honestly, the more you practise, the more you improve :biggrin:

This June, I've done M2 and C3 so far, still have C4 and STEP I left to go :nothing: You? :biggrin:
Original post by SamJHill
I did this earlier and I'm sure the markscheme said either is acceptable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it was possible to get the answer either way for THIS question, but if there's something it'd be useful to know.
I had to integrate (u-2)lnu du so when I did by parts to integrate (u-2) I just did (u-2)^2 / 2 but that's wrong as the terms are meant to be integrated separately so you get: u^2/2 - 2u hence my question is that even if there are brackets around 2 terms do you still integrate separately?
Original post by Felix Felicis
Have you spent much time on it? It can feel daunting at first, but honestly, the more you practise, the more you improve :biggrin:

This June, I've done M2 and C3 so far, still have C4 and STEP I left to go :nothing: You? :biggrin:

Oh no I mean I'm still above average for it (without sounding too arrogant :colondollar:) I got my A* in maths last year and working on Further this year, but I'm not sure how that'll end up cos my modules are a bit hit and miss (close to perfect in some, low B's in other, basically averaging and A grade). But I say that because I go to a school which holds a fair number of ridiculously talented mathematicians, I mean I'm talking about dropping 2 ums throughout the whole maths A level and would probably be quite happy doing STEPS I II and III now. I mean I don't have that natural talent at maths, but I'm fairly hard working and might pull out a good grade in it :smile:

Oh, apparently M2 was a bit tricky this year too, but I'm sure that was no problem for you, I've got FP2 and 3 left :eek: the 2 modules that will haunt my dreams until August 16th...
(edited 10 years ago)
Will this c4 paper also be a replacement paper?
Reply 3478
Original post by madaboutmambo

Yes, please stay safe.
Original post by madaboutmambo

I'm afraid all the papers (EDIT: Apart from C1 and M1) this year are replacement papers (for maths) so yes, it will be

BUT it doesn't necessarily mean it'll be any harder than usual (e.g. FP1 was fine from the sounds of it), but judging from comments after C3 you would do well to prepare for C4 as well as possible.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending