The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orange94
lol my friend does this strange method in working it out ... she said that you divide it by 2 because 4^1/2 is 1/2 so that why you do it. it sounds like a bunch of crap and she confused me? thats wrong , what she said right?

what do you think??

4^1/2 is square root of 4.. Which is 2 not 1/2
Let's slay this paper on Tuesday!!!

For C4 questions.. do the questions always tell you when to use integration by substitution?

Whether they tell you what substitution to use or not.. Do the question always guide you and say use the substitution method? Thanks! :smile:
Reply 3823
Original post by sahjan
So, if anything from C1, C2 and C3 could come up in C4, does that mean I'll have to go over all the sequences and series and common ratio and sum to infinity stuff from C1 & C2?? Is there a chance of that coming up?? D:

Also, how would you integrate (cosx)^3 or (sinx)^3?

(cosx)^3=cosx(cosx)^2

Cosx(1-sinx^2)= cosx -sinx^2cos x

Integral of that = sinx -1/3sinx^3

Much simpler and quicker than using cos(2x+x)
Original post by bestfriends33
For C4 questions.. do the questions always tell you when to use integration by substitution?

Whether they tell you what substitution to use or not.. Do the question always guide you and say use the substitution method? Thanks! :smile:

I think if they don't say substituion, you can use anything.

I try to follow this process
1.trig identities (rearrange to get an easy integral)
then
2.check if substitution is possible (but usually I'd just skip this)
then
3.go with integration by parts, which usually guarantees to get you to the answer safely provided no mistakes are made
Original post by nanodesu512
I think if they don't say substituion, you can use anything.

I try to follow this process
1.trig identities (rearrange to get an easy integral)
then
2.check if substitution is possible (but usually I'd just skip this)
then
3.go with integration by parts, which usually guarantees to get you to the answer safely provided no mistakes are made

Okay thank you.. yeah integration by parts normally works when there are two functions and you let u= the correct thing.

Hope you don't mind me asking but for question 6 of the jan 2013 C4 paper... Why can't you integrate (1-2cos)^2 directly by increasing the power by 1 then dividing by the new power and then multiplying by -1/2?

Why do you have to expand out to 1 4cosx + 4cos^2x and the integrate (using trig identities)?

Thank you so much! :smile:
http://www.london-oratory.org/maths/Solomon%20C4%20Worksheets/C4Edex/pdf_files/E4Qvec_E.pdf

can someone help me on 4b please?

why is AM = MC ? cos according to the ms it is.
Reply 3827
Original post by bestfriends33
Okay thank you.. yeah integration by parts normally works when there are two functions and you let u= the correct thing.

Hope you don't mind me asking but for question 6 of the jan 2013 C4 paper... Why can't you integrate (1-2cos)^2 directly by increasing the power by 1 then dividing by the new power and then multiplying by -1/2?

Why do you have to expand out to 1 4cosx + 4cos^2x and the integrate (using trig identities)?

Thank you so much! :smile:

hey can you post the paper so I look at the paper or tell me where to find it??? thanks
Reply 3828
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371375876.394132.jpg
Question 4e)

Answer:
4e)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371375946.088925.jpg

Getting a weird decimal for '+c'
Help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

Could someone help me with Q6c from C4 june 2012, the original paper not replaced one. (I only have paper copy sorry!) From ms I know now what to do and I'm ok with usually doing differential equations, but I didn't know that's what you were supposed to be doing for part c. If anyone could explain why and how I'd notice it because I didn't realise!
Original post by kuku2013
hey can you post the paper so I look at the paper or tell me where to find it??? thanks

Go onto exam solutions its there with the worked solutions :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nisal
if OG is 3 then OB is 1
if OB is b then OG is 3b

so OB is b (given)

GB=OG-OB
therefore 3b-b=2b

thank you soo much! :smile:
Original post by Rayquaza
Question 4e)

Answer:
4e)

Help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

so when you separated the variables did you get

1/(1-y^2) dy = 1/2(1+x) dx

both side have integral sign?
Reply 3833
Question 4e)

Answer:
4e)

Help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

what did you get for +c
Reply 3834
Original post by otrivine
so when you separated the variables did you get

1/(1-y^2) dy = 1/2(1+x) dx

both side have integral sign?

Yup.
Original post by keromedic
I'm just latexing your post :smile:
"So when you separated the variables did you get

1(1y2)dy=12(1+x)dx\displaystyle \int\dfrac{1}{(1-y^2)} dy =\int \dfrac{1}{2(1+x)} dx?"

Yes I did :smile:

I wish I knew how you would write that so neat
Reply 3836
Original post by kuku2013
what did you get for +c

Reply 3837
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371376909.444296.jpg
This is my working. Try to make sense of it, its a bit all over the place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3838

you should get ln{0.5} have the other helped you figure it out yet or would you like the whole method (it will take time)
Original post by Myda
Hey,

Could someone help me with Q6c from C4 june 2012, the original paper not replaced one. (I only have paper copy sorry!) From ms I know now what to do and I'm ok with usually doing differential equations, but I didn't know that's what you were supposed to be doing for part c. If anyone could explain why and how I'd notice it because I didn't realise!

The one about volumes?

You just need to solve the differential equation. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending