The Student Room Group

Not happy with my As grades so far.... What should I do?

Hello everyone, I recently just got my As results for the January exams and they are appalling. I did 3 exams and I got D,E,E. Before anyone starts judging me, I just want to say that I revised really hard and completed most/ if not all of the past papers and even looked at mark schemes to see the idea answer that the examiners wanted. I cried so much when I got those grades because I honestly do not know or betterstill don't understand what happened. Anyway, I'm resitting them in May/June and I have I am also paying to get my papers back to see where I went wrong. Can anyone just give me advise on how to approach my next exams and is it true that I can't go to a good unversity because I am resitting my exams???

PS: I'm currently studying Chem,Bio,Maths, and Psychology.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aww, I'm sorry. What did you get in Psychology? I did that exam and the paper was horrible. It was completely unexpected. So I perhaps that was just bad luck.

Maybe this time, complete past papers and get them marked by your teachers?

And regarding resits, I've heard it doesn't matter. It only matters if you're taking a third year to do resits. But universities probably wouldn't know where you re-sat or not as all they want is your overall grade.
Reply 2
Original post by Cryl
Aww, I'm sorry. What did you get in Psychology? I did that exam and the paper was horrible. It was completely unexpected. So I perhaps that was just bad luck.

Maybe this time, complete past papers and get them marked by your teachers?

And regarding resits, I've heard it doesn't matter. It only matters if you're taking a third year to do resits. But universities probably wouldn't know where you re-sat or not as all they want is your overall grade.

Thanks so much for replying dear... I will definitely be doing that and I'm doing my psychology exams in the summer because my college doesn't have January exams for it. So far we've just been doing mocks and I've been getting really good grades in PY1 and honestly pray it stays the same. Btw do you have any revision techiniques for the core studies???
Reply 3
Original post by Angel May
Thanks so much for replying dear... I will definitely be doing that and I'm doing my psychology exams in the summer because my college doesn't have January exams for it. So far we've just been doing mocks and I've been getting really good grades in PY1 and honestly pray it stays the same. Btw do you have any revision techiniques for the core studies???

Just do mind maps :smile:
Hello everyone, I recently just got my As results for the January exams and they are appalling. I did 3 exams and I got D,E,E. Before anyone starts judging me, I just want to say that I revised really hard and completed most/ if not all of the past papers and even looked at mark schemes to see the idea answer that the examiners wanted. I cried so much when I got those grades because I honestly do not know or betterstill don't understand what happened. Anyway, I'm resitting them in May/June and I have I am also paying to get my papers back to see where I went wrong. Can anyone just give me advise on how to approach my next exams and is it true that I can't go to a good unversity because I am resitting my exams???

No, top-universities really do not care if you re-sit modules or not. Even Oxbridge are fine with it. Don't worry, a lot of people resit modules.
I think you should remark the papers. You might jump one or two grades. If not, buy the exam papers and show your teachers and let them view your answers and tell you where you went wrong. With the sciences, it's very often the exam technique.
Good luck! :smile:

Oh and remember to practise as much Maths as you can. Silly mistakes are fatal in that subject.
(edited 11 years ago)
The universities will not know about you resitting jan exams in may of the same year,
However if you feel you want to resit your May exams the following year the universities you then apply to will know that your planning to do so.
Even then they will only really care if you are applying to do something like medicine, (we want our doctors getting it right first time for obvious reasons)
Reply 6

It depends what courses you want to do at Uni, but honestly, uni's don't seem to care. Loads of my friends (aswell as myself) did resits and none of us had any trouble getting offers from Uni's.
I think some Uni's don't like it if you have redone the whole year (gone into year 14) but again, I know people who did this and still got offers for Uni.

Really good idea getting a your papers back as it lets you see where you did go wrong and where you can improve.
Try out other methods of revision - teaching others can help as it helps reinforce stuff in your own mind. But for me, doing past papers was the best thing, maybe go over them all again? Key words and phrases are what will get you marks.

As for maths, show every piece of working out as you will get marks if you get some of the working out right even if you end up with the wrong answer.

Good luck with everything, hope you do well this time around

Posted from TSR Mobile
dont worry, find a new revision strategy and all will come good. you still have time yet.
Reply 8
Don't panic, you're not the only one that this has happened to! I would bet that half of my year gropu got Es and Us in something or other- teachers were warning us not to expect to do well. Remember January was our first set of exams, some people can make the transition from GCSE to A-Level easier than others, but it doesn't mean you can't do it! Getting your papers back is obviously a good idea, also go through the marks schemes and exam specifications with a fine toothcomb to ensure you're on the right track, as there will be similar ways to answer all the questions, and if we learn these methods, as long as the knowledge is there you should be OK.
Remember, its probably not that you haven't got the knowledge or ability- it may be just that you need to master the mark scheme, especially those biology ones can be tricky! (I did psychology and biology in January too by the way :smile:). Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by amineamine2
No, top-universities really do not care if you re-sit modules or not. Even Oxbridge are fine with it. Don't worry, a lot of people resit modules.
I think you should remark the papers. You might jump one or two grades. If not, buy the exam papers and show your teachers and let them view your answers and tell you where you went wrong. With the sciences, it's very often the exam technique.
Good luck! :smile:

Oh and remember to practise as much Maths as you can. Silly mistakes are fatal in that subject.

Thank you so much... I was getting extremely worried but I know what to do now.

getting off TSR and getting to work would be a nice start :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by Lala_1234
It depends what courses you want to do at Uni, but honestly, uni's don't seem to care. Loads of my friends (aswell as myself) did resits and none of us had any trouble getting offers from Uni's.
I think some Uni's don't like it if you have redone the whole year (gone into year 14) but again, I know people who did this and still got offers for Uni.

Really good idea getting a your papers back as it lets you see where you did go wrong and where you can improve.
Try out other methods of revision - teaching others can help as it helps reinforce stuff in your own mind. But for me, doing past papers was the best thing, maybe go over them all again? Key words and phrases are what will get you marks.

As for maths, show every piece of working out as you will get marks if you get some of the working out right even if you end up with the wrong answer.

Good luck with everything, hope you do well this time around

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going over past papers is such a good idea... I'm adding it to my list. Thanks... I'm really grateful:smile:
Reply 12
I revised really hard and completed most/ if not all of the past papers and even looked at mark schemes to see the idea answer that the examiners wanted.

This is where you went wrong. You don't even need to look at past papers and mark schemes if you have a good enough understanding of the material that you are being examined on. This time make sure you fully understand everything on the exam specification before sitting it, and you will get A's.
Reply 13
Original post by GeneralOJB
This is where you went wrong. You don't even need to look at past papers and mark schemes if you have a good enough understanding of the material that you are being examined on. This time make sure you fully understand everything on the exam specification before sitting it, and you will get A's.

Absolute garbage, most people get caught out by poor exam technique the content itself isn't a huge step up in some subjects tbh.
Reply 14
Original post by SDavis123
getting off TSR and getting to work would be a nice start :tongue:

Lol I get where you're coming from but I'm learning so much out of this because people are being nice and giving me great ideas on how to improve my grades. Thanks though.
Reply 15
Original post by GeneralOJB

That's very true; I am going to have a specification and a checklist this time. Thank you:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by wolf-pack
Don't panic, you're not the only one that this has happened to! I would bet that half of my year gropu got Es and Us in something or other- teachers were warning us not to expect to do well. Remember January was our first set of exams, some people can make the transition from GCSE to A-Level easier than others, but it doesn't mean you can't do it! Getting your papers back is obviously a good idea, also go through the marks schemes and exam specifications with a fine toothcomb to ensure you're on the right track, as there will be similar ways to answer all the questions, and if we learn these methods, as long as the knowledge is there you should be OK.
Remember, its probably not that you haven't got the knowledge or ability- it may be just that you need to master the mark scheme, especially those biology ones can be tricky! (I did psychology and biology in January too by the way :smile:). Good luck!

Aww thanks. How did you do ?
Wih past papers, assign every question a topic in the book (for example, in chemistry alkenes, alcohols etc). and the grade yourself on each topic (80%A, 70%B etc). The you know what topics to revise and you can make revision quite specific. As there is a chance with just revising everythign you may not revise the things you need to enough and might enjoy the things you're aalready good at more (as doing better makes you happier) and then you spend more time on it than you should.
Reply 18
Original post by AspiringGenius
Wih past papers, assign every question a topic in the book (for example, in chemistry alkenes, alcohols etc). and the grade yourself on each topic (80%A, 70%B etc). The you know what topics to revise and you can make revision quite specific. As there is a chance with just revising everythign you may not revise the things you need to enough and might enjoy the things you're aalready good at more (as doing better makes you happier) and then you spend more time on it than you should.

Thanks for drawing my attention to that actually;I never looked at it from that perspective.
Reply 19
Original post by Dhaden
Absolute garbage, most people get caught out by poor exam technique the content itself isn't a huge step up in some subjects tbh.

Yeah I can't rely just rely on content... I need to complete past papers as well; especially for bio,chem and maths.

Quick Reply

Latest