The Student Room Group

Switching from Economics to Business

So I'm really struggling at uni atm, and I just don't think economics is the right degree for me. I applied thinking I would enjoy it, but with all the maths involved, and just the modules in general I am really struggling. I have no idea whether it's worth staying on the course, or if I should transfer to business management, a degree I think I'd enjoy way more.
I hardly understand what's being said in lectures, what's being discussed in my seminars, while everyone around me is contributing to the class and seems to know whats happening. I know others are in a similar position but I can't help comparing myself as I have always had high expectations of myself.
However, there's so many pros and cons to this.
First, stereotypes. I know I shouldn't be affected by these but everyone kinda knows that economics is far more respected than business. My original plan when thinking about what to apply to university was business, but it changed soon after knowing econ was far more respected.
Secondly, I have no idea whether transferring to business would require me to repeat first year and this would bring a load of problems:
- I'd have to study for an extra year, meaning extra debt and money
- My degree includes a placement year, so idk how that would change/work out
- I am currently on a scholarship, so I'm not sure if I would be still eligible if I changed my degree course
Thirdly, I have no idea if I can even carry out the transfer so that's a problem in itself.
I've tried contacting uni staff and my academic advisors but none of them are even getting back to me.
I'm just worried that continuing on this course would end up in me getting really bad grades, and I'd rather graduate with a good grade rather than a more respected degree since recruiters hardly care about what degree you do anymore.
I'm struggling with what to decide to do anymore, so if anyone can offer some advice?
Swap if you are not happy, university should be one of the best experiences of your life. All the questions you raised need to be explored with your course tutor/ year tutor. I suspect you will have to repeat 1st year business studies but you need to ask your tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending