The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slumpy
Crikey, I did not. That sounds astonishing.

IIRC, he didn't make like, 2 finals from (approx) wimby 2004 to USO 2009, and both were going out in the semis to people playing really rather well (Safin, Djok?, both AO). Slightly kinder draws in 2009 (as I believe he had) would easily discount the idea he was better in 2009 than 2004-8 (I haven't checked his masters performance, but I seem to recall it was somewhat worse). Obviously I could well be misremembering.

Original post by Rakas21
He reached 18 of 19 grand slam finals with runs of 10 and 8.

2008 he won one, reaching 3 finals. 2009 he won 2, reaching 4 finals. So I don't really see why 2009 is called the year he started declining.
Original post by manchesterunited15
2008 he won one, reaching 3 finals. 2009 he won 2, reaching 4 finals. So I don't really see why 2009 is called the year he started declining.

I think 2008 was noticeably worse than 2004-2007, so a lot of people would say Fed started declining then (although that gives a very short window for his "prime" then, it depends how strict you are being with definition of "prime", I guess). 2009 may have been better than 2008, I can't really remember.
Reply 4762

Tbh, I thought he never fully seemed to get back to where he was after that bout of mono. I was just saying there's a plausible argument for 2009 being below his best (the obvious point being rafa wasn't about for a bit so winning the 2 slams wasn't so hard for him).
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think 2008 was noticeably worse than 2004-2007, so a lot of people would say Fed started declining then (although that gives a very short window for his "prime" then, it depends how strict you are being with definition of "prime", I guess). 2009 may have been better than 2008, I can't really remember.

I think he started declining in the latter part of 2007, I don't think he played that well at the USO that year (relatively speaking), looking back on the highlights, he was a bit lucky to get away with that match in the final against djokovic, or at least he was lucky it was a straight sets win
Original post by Jack93o
I think he started declining in the latter part of 2007, I don't think he played that well at the USO that year (relatively speaking), looking back on the highlights, he was a bit lucky to get away with that match in the final against djokovic, or at least he was lucky it was a straight sets win

Depends how you define someone's "prime". I usually regard it as a window of time in which the person is in peak form/ condition, and is basically unbeatable. For Federer, that was probably from 2005 to 2007ish (after the AO), when he hardly lost.
Not watching Lisicki and Kanepi :colonhash: still smarting after Laura's loss :cry2:
incredible effort from Radwanska there - saves 4 set points and forces the break back.
Ladies quarters :yawn: I'm only watching Lisicki-Kanepi to perv on Sabine :love:
Reply 4768
Radwanska's defence is ridiculous. Amazing effort to win that set
Why the boos?
Who would win in a doubles match between Murray/Djokovic and Bryan/Bryan? :tongue:
Reply 4771
Who would win in a doubles match between Murray/Djokovic and Bryan/Bryan? :tongue:

Bryan Brothers, hands down.
Reply 4772
Original post by Prendah
Bryan Brothers, hands down.

Hmmmmm, not too sure about that.
Reply 4773
Original post by 419
Hmmmmm, not too sure about that.

The greatest doubles team ever against 2 players who have barely ever played together?
Radwanska beats na li!

That last game was so tense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4775
I'm getting confused whether she was called Na Li or Li Na. The name on the board was Na Li, but the commentators were calling her Li Na throughout the whole match
Original post by C-Dawg
I'm getting confused whether she was called Na Li or Li Na. The name on the board was Na Li, but the commentators were calling her Li Na throughout the whole match

Her name in English form is Na Li. Surname last.

Her name in Chinese form is Li Na. Surname first.

(I think)
Why are courts 12 and 18 show courts?
Reply 4778
Original post by one2three_abc
Her name in English form is Na Li. Surname last.

Her name in Chinese form is Li Na. Surname first.

(I think)

Wow that's just confused me in regards to all my Chinese friends :s-smilie:
Del Potro and Murray on center tomorrow.

Reminding myself of what Verdasco can do...

[video="youtube;GgaVNk7skkQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GgaVNk7skkQ[/video]

Latest