The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6480
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Tennis is dead, isn't it?

So go away.

It will resurrect when Fedal plays their next tournament. :smile:
Original post by Roger1
Is there any non-British Murray fan out there? highly unlikely.

I'd say so because as we all know, he's universally hated in America :rolleyes:
Tennis is dead, isn'e it?

So go away.

Until the mindless baseline drones such as Murray, Nadal, Ferrer and Djokovic amongst others retire, tennis will remain dead.

Today an all round mug won instead of a grass mug.

Bet you're a typical Brit drone who just watches Wimbledon and dont know even half the players I mentioned.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Roger1
It will resurrect when Fedal plays their next tournament. :smile:

And lose until it's clay
I said career golden slam

So you did. What does this sentence mean then?

If he gets a career grand slam, then he'll have a career golden slam

:tongue:
Reply 6485
And lose until it's clay

Still play a more attractive brand of tennis than Murray. And both guys especially Federer have a good chance to win something meaningful during the rest of the season.
Original post by Ultimate1
After the mindless baseline drones such as Murray, Nadal, Ferrer and Djokovic retire, tennis will remain dead.

Today an all round mug won instead of a grass mug.

I know - he's such a mug. It's not like he won the us open, wimbledon and olympics (which by the way your beloved federer couldnt do). BTW how much does their playing style make a difference to you? They play to win and guess what - they won.
Original post by manchesterunited15
So you did. What does this sentence mean then?

:tongue:

He said that he can win a career grand slam or even a career golden slam and I meant to say that he has already won the olympics so he gets the career grand slam, he'll have the career golden slam
Reply 6488
(to Ultimate1)
Original post by Maid Marian
:s-smilie: You're really annoying.

That's a very common view. Don't worry, those two negs are probably from the same two that negged mine. I'd give you a +1 back, but I've already given you rep in the past apparently.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Roger1
Still play a more attractive brand of tennis than Murray. And both guys especially Federer have a good chance to win something meaningful during the rest of the season.

People play tennis so they can win not to make it attractive
My opinion:

I don't understand why fans of tennis players get so angry when a certain player wins. I mean ffs, even the players themselves have a mutual respect of each other and some are friends.

And if they don't get so angry that their player lost, I don't understand what right the idiots in this thread have.

Congratulations to Andy Murray, that was brilliant.

Also, he might not become of of the GOATs, but he definitely already is the greatest British tennis player of the open era.
Original post by Roger1
Is there any non-British Murray fan out there? highly unlikely.

I'm Canadian and I supported Murray, although I must admit the Del Potro Vs Djokovic match was by far more entertaining to watch :tongue:
I know - he's such a mug. It's not like he won the us open, wimbledon and olympics (which by the way your beloved federer couldnt do). BTW how much does their playing style make a difference to you? They play to win and guess what - they won.

Lol you cannot be serious taking a jibe at Federer not winning the olympics.:rofl:.

Come back to me once your beloved mug wins 17 slams, 6 WTFs, nearly 80 tournaments, 21 masters, 300+ weeks at no.1

Murray is a no one in the tennis world compared to the GOAT.

And playing style makes a huge difference once everyone plays the same style abd it gets seriously boring and tedious to watch.
Reply 6493

They do, but when deciding who to support quality of play should be a factor.

I fail to see the appeal of baseline drones tbh, it's boring and repetitive.

Sure the player will want to win any way they can but as a spectator I want to see the most exciting tennis and therefor cheer on the more exciting players.
If he gets a career grand slam, then he'll have a career golden slam

He could do it - I can see him winning the australian open but not the french open tbh

same.. but you never know what will hapen with nadal, so its not 100% out of the question..

But id say its probably a more likely route to being a 'great' then winning many many titles, simply because of the time he potentially has left to do this..
Again congrats to Murray but I've now concluded that Murray is the Chelsea FC of world tennis :biggrin:

The only reason why this final will ever be remembered is for the fact that it ended Britain's 77 year drought for a male singles champion at Wimbledon. The rest of the world will forget today easily.

Murray plays extremely dull tennis, he relies heavily on opponents making errors (especially this year in the quarters and semis). He's a good dritty defensive player but that's it. He will never be a legend like Nadal or Federer except only here in the UK for obvious reasons.

Like I said, Murray is the Chelsea of world tennis. They won the Champions League by playing boring and defensive football and relied a lot on luck :biggrin:
Original post by RtGOAT
They do, but when deciding who to support quality of play should be a factor.

I fail to see the appeal of baseline drones tbh, it's boring and repetitive.

Sure the player will want to win any way they can but as a spectator I want to see the most exciting tennis and therefor cheer on the more exciting players.

All perfectly acceptable but none of that is a reason for dismissing the achievements of those you don't like (I'm not saying you have because I can't keep up with the idiocy going on here but some people are).
Reply 6497

The Olympics means very little to the players. Maybe the 2012 one did moreso to Murray since it was in his home country but really its not that important. If he had won gold in Beijing and not London it wouldn't get a mention tbh. The Murray propaganda like to hype it up though.

Sure Federer would have liked to have won it since its pretty much the only thing he hasn't won but I doubt he loses any sleep over it.
Reply 6498

Tennis style makes a big difference. If Federer was a pusher like Murray and was winning everything with that horrible style, I still would have never liked him, but the fact that he plays a graceful, all round brand of tennis makes me one of his biggest supporters. You wouldn't be a Murray fan if you weren't British and you know it. Too patriotic, I guess you are.
Reply 6499
Original post by tinkertailor
Again congrats to Murray but I've now concluded that Murray is the Chelsea FC of world tennis :biggrin:

The only reason why this final will ever be remembered is for the fact that it ended Britain's 77 year drought for a male singles champion at Wimbledon. The rest of the world will forget today easily.

Murray plays extremely dull tennis, he relies heavily on opponents making errors (especially this year in the quarters and semis). He's a good dritty defensive player but that's it. He will never be a legend like Nadal or Federer except only here in the UK for obvious reasons.

Like I said, Murray is the Chelsea of world tennis. They won the Champions League by playing boring and defensive football and relied a lot on luck :biggrin:

Tennis =/= football. It's worked for Andy today. And I think watching nervous rallies are more exciting for the neutral

Latest