The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JOR2010
How bad is the damage to Roger's ranking after Wimbledon then? He loses close to 2000 points for Wimbledon, and his points for the Olympics. Will he be 5th? Also, Janowicz, Tomic and Kubot will be moving up the rankings, as will Del Potro, will be interesting to see where they end up.

Bad, unfortunately :frown:. He's definitely No. 5 - he'll drop to 5,785 points (1,075 behind Nadal who will be at 4). Berdych will go up to 4,865 at No. 6 and Del Potro up to 4,500 ahead of Tsonga at No. 7.

After the Olympics points drop, it can only get worse (I think a further 500 point drop), but hopefully he can do something of note in the latter part of 2013.
Original post by JOR2010
How bad is the damage to Roger's ranking after Wimbledon then? He loses close to 2000 points for Wimbledon, and his points for the Olympics. Will he be 5th? Also, Janowicz, Tomic and Kubot will be moving up the rankings, as will Del Potro, will be interesting to see where they end up.

Federer with be 5th after this, with Nadal 4th & Ferrer 3rd.

Janowicz will be at least 17th, and JDP 7th I believe.
Original post by Andy Ftw
Federer with be 5th after this, with Nadal 4th & Ferrer 3rd.

Janowicz will be at least 17th, and JDP 7th I believe.

janowicz in the top 20 :woo:
Reply 6643
Original post by Krish4791
Bad, unfortunately :frown:. He's definitely No. 5 - he'll drop to 5,785 points (1,075 behind Nadal who will be at 4). Berdych will go up to 4,865 at No. 6 and Del Potro up to 4,500 ahead of Tsonga at No. 7.

After the Olympics points drop, it can only get worse (I think a further 500 point drop), but hopefully he can do something of note in the latter part of 2013.

Good news for you and Fed fans is that hes playing Gstaad and Hamburg easy 750 points there. Hopefully this time he cand get to the Semis of the US open and perhaps Win WTF or Paris masters?

Welk federer did say that this will be a transitional year at the start but I think, in all honesty, he's finished now. Just hasn't got the consistency to compete against the top players.

Let's hope he proves us wrong.
Reply 6645
Original post by Ultimate1
Welk federer did say that this will be a transitional year at the start but I think, in all honesty, he's finished now. Just hasn't got the consistency to compete against the top players.

Nadal vs Federer US OPEN Quarter final match or Semi final who do you think would win be honest.
Original post by ubi1
Good news for you and Fed fans is that hes playing Gstaad and Hamburg easy 750 points there. Hopefully this time he cand get to the Semis of the US open and perhaps Win WTF or Paris masters?

Yeah, hopefully. If he doesn't win Gstaad I will be disgusted. The WTF is a definite possibility considering that only Djoko and Del Potro have been able to beat him there since 2009, and that's where he performs close to his best.

US Open - depends on the draw. A really generous draw (i.e. no Nadal or Murray) could see him make the semis- then again, he has a small chance to win it all. What I really want to see is a Rafa-Roger US Open Final before they leave the sport.
Original post by ubi1
Nadal vs Federer US OPEN Quarter final match or Semi final who do you think would win be honest.

At this stage probs Nadal. If we were looking at 2+ years ago, I'd have gone with Federer.
Reply 6648
At this stage probs Nadal. If we were looking at 2+ years ago, I'd have gone with Federer.

No if Nadal vs Federer 2007us open or 2008 or perhaps even 09 would go to Federer but 2010, 2011 would go to Nadal thats how i see it.
Original post by ubi1

Unless Federer dramatically improves his form definitely Nadal. Even prime Federer would probably have trouble with Nadal on even USO. Federer's match up issue is too great of an obstacle for Federer to overcome.
Anyone think Tsonga will win a grand slam anytime soon?

Not sure what he's playing at. There is a possibility he's gearing up for another enormous run, seeing as he will have very few points to defend in the late part of 2013 and going through well into 2014. Much more difficult to accomplish though, looking at the way in which he racks up UEs nowadays.

Really hope he can somehow win the US or the World Tour Finals.
Original post by ubi1
No if Nadal vs Federer 2007us open or 2008 or perhaps even 09 would go to Federer but 2010, 2011 would go to Nadal thats how i see it.

Yh same. 2010 USO Nadal would probably throw in some bakery in there as well :lol:
Reply 6653
Yh same. 2010 USO Nadal would probably throw in some bakery in there as well :lol:

With bakery, curry and chile source?:biggrin:
Reply 6654
Have you even seen the match? I'm not saying it was a classic but it was a fun match. Gozalez was actually playing very well in that match but Federer's level during that tournament was just out of this world. But then again I can't expect you to know that, you probably started watching tennis after USO '12 or something lol

Ok no point me actually debating your points since you are just going to assume things. The first Wimbledon final I can remember is Sampras in 98, and yes I have watched that Federer match, granted not live and it was not exciting and very one sided.

You assume I am Murray's biggest fan, I supported Federer and Roddick in the early 00's, Federer has been in some cracking finals entertainment wise but that was not one and the fact you are actually trying to say it was means you are being as bias as you are accusing me of being.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by shyamshah
Anyone think Tsonga will win a grand slam anytime soon?

He along with a few other players have unfortunately played in the wrong era. 10 years ago I could have easily seen Tsonga with a slam or two, todays courts are just too damn slow for aggressive players like Tsonga, Berdych etc to win. They need to play literally out of their skin to win slams these days akin to Del Potro USO '09. And to consistently play at that level for 7 matches is extremely dofficult.

Not sure what he's playing at. There is a possibility he's gearing up for another enormous run, seeing as he will have very few points to defend in the late part of 2013 and going through well into 2014. Much more difficult to accomplish though, looking at the way in which he racks up UEs nowadays.

Really hope he can somehow win the US or the World Tour Finals.

Yh it's weird, I don't think the reduced schedule is doing any good for him. I hope he can get his act together for USO. Gonna be exciting to see how Federer does in the two clay tournaments. I think if his results go like this in 2014, he'll call it a day by the end of 2014.
Original post by ubi1

2010 I agree, no chance. But 2011 - tougher to call. Fed was literally on the brink of beating Djok and played really well, whilst Djok could have actually straight-setted Rafa in the final (he was a break up 3 times in that 3rd set).
Original post by Idle
Ok no point me actually debating your points since you are just going to assume things. The first Wimbledon final I can remember is Sampras in 98, and yes I have watched that Federer, granted not live and it was not exciting and very one sided.

You assume I am Murray's biggest fan, I supported Federer and Roddick in the early 00's, Federer has been in some cracking finals entertainment wise but that was not one and the fact you are actually trying to say it was means you are being as bias as you are accusing me of being.

You clearly haven't seen the final. It was decent like I said Gonzalez has pretty much on a hot streak which he carried to the final but Federer's level was insane.

You probably just looked Federer winning in 3 and thought it was a boring final or something. Not saying it was out of this world or anything but was definitely watchable.

Definitely more watchable than Murray getting spanked at US0 '08, AO '10 and AO '11 all in straights.
Reply 6658
He along with a few other players have unfortunately played in the wrong era. 10 years ago I could have easily seen Tsonga with a slam or two, todays courts are just too damn slow for aggressive players like Tsonga, Berdych etc to win. They need to play literally out of their skin to win slams these days akin to Del Potro USO '09. And to consistently play at that level for 7 matches is extremely dofficult.

Yh it's weird, I don't think the reduced schedule is doing any good for him. I hope he can get his act together for USO. Gonna be exciting to see how Federer does in the two clay tournaments. I think if his results go like this in 2014, he'll call it a day by the end of 2014.

Fed actually said few times he would like to play in 2016 olympics and in wimby press conference he said hes got plans to play for many m0re years.
2010 I agree, no chance. But 2011 - tougher to call. Fed was literally on the brink of beating Djok and played really well, whilst Djok could have actually straight-setted Rafa in the final (he was a break up 3 times in that 3rd set).

But you forget that Federer literally ****s his pants whenever he sees Nadal :lol:.

I think Nadal showed incredible fight and resilience to come back into that final. I think at most Federer would have won a set had they met then.

Latest