Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    What is the correct name for the science of medicine? Is it just biomedicine or human biology or physiology?

ReputationRep:
    How has everybody's UKCAT gone since this is the last week you can do it?

I am glad I left it till the 3rd, but still - i SO want it over and done with now...such a test of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaimaa95)
    I rests one module exam in Physics in year 10 or 11, are there any universities that would not accept this? It was done within the two year gcse period... with the resit I got an A overall, without, it would have been a B
    Not a problem for any university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    Not a problem for any university.
    Oh that's good. Thank you for the reply

ReputationRep:
    Okay, my UKCAT is in an hours time and I still do not have a good technique for the Verbal section. Could someone please give me some last minute tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    I am a little having done it 3 times, once for something else and now twice for medicine! Hopefully it will be worthwhile though
    3 times?? DAMN! I knew a girl who did it 3 times for medicine alone and is now doing it at King's College.

ReputationRep:
    how have ukcats gone this time? i got 708 was pleased at first but so many people have done better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ynm1)
    3 times?? DAMN! I knew a girl who did it 3 times for medicine alone and is now doing it at King's College.
    Yeah it annoying. First time was in sixth form, school told me not to apply to medicine. Then i got the grades and took a gap yea which was a flop :rolleyes: most likely due to low UKCAT. Then redid the UKCAT this summer and thought YES! and now im trying again

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    Ok, so i'm not really a re-applicant since I never applied at the start of year 13.
    I got A*AADbbb for A'Levels. I'm just wondering if my D grade in General Studies look really bad with A*AA? I know they don't count Gen studies but I'm worried that it may make my overall result look bad... I want to apply to Birmingham, Imperial, Oxford and Kings/Cardiff. I'd be grateful for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobz)
    Hi everyone!
    Ok, so i'm not really a re-applicant since I never applied at the start of year 13.
    I got A*AADbbb for A'Levels. I'm just wondering if my D grade in General Studies look really bad with A*AA? I know they don't count Gen studies but I'm worried that it may make my overall result look bad... I want to apply to Birmingham, Imperial, Oxford and Kings/Cardiff. I'd be grateful for your help!
    Nope don't worry about it, they will literally check that you have AAA in relevant subjects or AAAb whatever their standard offer is. Which you have, they won't look at other subjects!

ReputationRep:
    Quick question, I'm filling out my ucas form.. when I'm putting down my GCE A levels, do I just put down the modules I took in A2, or all modules in that subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaimaa95)
    Quick question, I'm filling out my ucas form.. when I'm putting down my GCE A levels, do I just put down the modules I took in A2, or all modules in that subject?
    You don't need to put module grades. It's optional, just to put the final grade you got.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameelia22)
    Did I mention that I have to do all that in about 3 hours? From 9am to before lunches?

Thanks for your thoughts
    I've read through your posts regarding this issue and this is my advice as someone who worked as a HCA during their (post school) gap year and throughout a degree (during holidays).

1. You should not be doing washes on very large/heavy patients on your own. You only get one back. The nurse expecting you to do this on your own is unacceptable. Is there someone you can talk to about the problem (e.g. junior charge nurse/junior sister or charge nurse/sister)? If so mention it. If not then you just have to stick up for yourself, I know this is not easy when you feel like you're at the bottom of the pile trying to make a good impression but if you don't she'll continue taking the piss. If something is too difficult to do alone say so, you can quite politely state that it is too difficult to do alone and you will wait for her to finish her drug round or whatever else she is doing and you can do that wash together. Its a difficult situation though (you need to balance to working hard with not being taken advantage of), and is a reason why there should always be more than one HCA on shift. Do you ever work with senior HCAs, if so see how they handle nurses on a power trip (this can also be amazingly hilarious to watch :lol: :yep:)

2. Don't stress about the stuff you have to do in the time. Do your best (and this time management/stress management challenges will help you so much during med school and particularly F1 ) and if you don't get it done, thats too bad. The nurse has a responsibility (when you are working under them) to keep an eye on you and help out if needed. The patient's and their care is their responsibility. If they tried to call you out on it, complain about you provided you've done the best you could they won't have a leg to stand on. However I'll admit it is very difficult to see the impact this workload has on the patients you are trying to help

3. I know its hard, where I worked during my first gap year I had a similar but not quite as bad workload (more patients with 1 HCA and 2 nurses to 12 patients or 1 HCA and 2 nurses to 24 patients at the weekend, but fewer requiring all care) and had to work with some seriously bone idle nurses on a power trip and also struggled at first to stick up for myself) but try to stick at it for at least 6 months. It'll look better, HCA re-applicants will be working for a similar length of time, and you will be able to join the staff bank or agencies like NHS professionals (who provide a staff bank type service to hospitals all over the country, I worked for them during uni). Once you join a staff bank you can pick and choose where you work, and avoid bad wards/departments. You'll also be able to make some money during holidays and the occasional weekend when you're low on funds or want to make a big purchase.

4. You should not be doing last offices (washing dead patients) on your own. This is almost certainly against hospital/NMC rules if not the law. Have a good think about mentioning this to someone. The rule is there to protect nursing staff, if a patient's relative sees a bruise or something similar and makes an accusation, you have no-one to back you up.

5. Not sure how long you've been there now but it gets much easier over time. You get much better at managing the workload (and also get physically stronger). You'll also get better at sticking up for yourself and people will hopefully stop taking advantage as much. It sounds like the staffing levels aren't too bad where you work but the "all care" patients probably cancel this out. Once you move elsewhere you might find the workload a breeze (I know I did at times), you'll seem like the best HCA ever, and people will want you to come back to their ward (this helps you make more money and also ensures you are treated well ).

Hope this helps. Not telling you what to do but just offering advice based on my experience

ReputationRep:
    Do medical schools penalize you for not leaving a gap between each paragraph?

ReputationRep:
    No it just looks more presentable if you do
    I did last year but I had to sacrifice some of my experiences. I'm gonna indent this time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it annoying. First time was in sixth form, school told me not to apply to medicine. Then i got the grades and took a gap yea which was a flop :rolleyes: most likely due to low UKCAT. Then redid the UKCAT this summer and thought YES! and now im trying again
    May I ask how you did on the UKCAT last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They won't penalise you as such, but consider the perspective of the admissions tutor reading up to say 2000 statements over the space of a few weeks. They have two near identical statements, but one has lines between paragraphs, another is a block of text. The one that's easier to read is going to be seen every so slightly more favourably.

If you can't leave spaces, it's not going to be a deal breaker, but if you can do so then you should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Ugs)
    May I ask how you did on the UKCAT last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    620 and thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    They won't penalise you as such, but consider the perspective of the admissions tutor reading up to say 2000 statements over the space of a few weeks. They have two near identical statements, but one has lines between paragraphs, another is a block of text. The one that's easier to read is going to be seen every so slightly more favourably.

If you can't leave spaces, it's not going to be a deal breaker, but if you can do so then you should.
    Just can include so much more!

ReputationRep:
    620 and thanks!
    Well done on the improvement

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.