The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Quick question, I'm filling out my ucas form.. when I'm putting down my GCE A levels, do I just put down the modules I took in A2, or all modules in that subject?
Original post by Shaimaa95
Quick question, I'm filling out my ucas form.. when I'm putting down my GCE A levels, do I just put down the modules I took in A2, or all modules in that subject?

You don't need to put module grades. It's optional, just to put the final grade you got.
Original post by ameelia22
Did I mention that I have to do all that in about 3 hours? From 9am to before lunches?

Thanks for your thoughts :smile:

I've read through your posts regarding this issue and this is my advice as someone who worked as a HCA during their (post school) gap year and throughout a degree (during holidays).

1. You should not be doing washes on very large/heavy patients on your own. You only get one back. The nurse expecting you to do this on your own is unacceptable. Is there someone you can talk to about the problem (e.g. junior charge nurse/junior sister or charge nurse/sister)? If so mention it. If not then you just have to stick up for yourself, I know this is not easy when you feel like you're at the bottom of the pile trying to make a good impression but if you don't she'll continue taking the piss. If something is too difficult to do alone say so, you can quite politely state that it is too difficult to do alone and you will wait for her to finish her drug round or whatever else she is doing and you can do that wash together. Its a difficult situation though (you need to balance to working hard with not being taken advantage of), and is a reason why there should always be more than one HCA on shift. Do you ever work with senior HCAs, if so see how they handle nurses on a power trip (this can also be amazingly hilarious to watch :lol: :yep:)

2. Don't stress about the stuff you have to do in the time. Do your best (and this time management/stress management challenges will help you so much during med school and particularly F1 :smile:) and if you don't get it done, thats too bad. The nurse has a responsibility (when you are working under them) to keep an eye on you and help out if needed. The patient's and their care is their responsibility. If they tried to call you out on it, complain about you provided you've done the best you could they won't have a leg to stand on. However I'll admit it is very difficult to see the impact this workload has on the patients you are trying to help :frown:

3. I know its hard, where I worked during my first gap year I had a similar but not quite as bad workload (more patients with 1 HCA and 2 nurses to 12 patients or 1 HCA and 2 nurses to 24 patients at the weekend, but fewer requiring all care) and had to work with some seriously bone idle nurses on a power trip and also struggled at first to stick up for myself) but try to stick at it for at least 6 months. It'll look better, HCA re-applicants will be working for a similar length of time, and you will be able to join the staff bank or agencies like NHS professionals (who provide a staff bank type service to hospitals all over the country, I worked for them during uni). Once you join a staff bank you can pick and choose where you work, and avoid bad wards/departments. You'll also be able to make some money during holidays and the occasional weekend when you're low on funds or want to make a big purchase.

4. You should not be doing last offices (washing dead patients) on your own. This is almost certainly against hospital/NMC rules if not the law. Have a good think about mentioning this to someone. The rule is there to protect nursing staff, if a patient's relative sees a bruise or something similar and makes an accusation, you have no-one to back you up.

5. Not sure how long you've been there now but it gets much easier over time. You get much better at managing the workload (and also get physically stronger). You'll also get better at sticking up for yourself and people will hopefully stop taking advantage as much. It sounds like the staffing levels aren't too bad where you work but the "all care" patients probably cancel this out. Once you move elsewhere you might find the workload a breeze (I know I did at times), you'll seem like the best HCA ever, and people will want you to come back to their ward (this helps you make more money and also ensures you are treated well :wink:).

Hope this helps. Not telling you what to do but just offering advice based on my experience :smile:
Do medical schools penalize you for not leaving a gap between each paragraph?
Reply 1984
Original post by raveen789

No it just looks more presentable if you do :smile:
I did last year but I had to sacrifice some of my experiences. I'm gonna indent this time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1985
Yeah it annoying. First time was in sixth form, school told me not to apply to medicine. Then i got the grades and took a gap yea which was a flop :rolleyes: most likely due to low UKCAT. Then redid the UKCAT this summer and thought YES! and now im trying again :colondollar:

May I ask how you did on the UKCAT last year? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They won't penalise you as such, but consider the perspective of the admissions tutor reading up to say 2000 statements over the space of a few weeks. They have two near identical statements, but one has lines between paragraphs, another is a block of text. The one that's easier to read is going to be seen every so slightly more favourably.

If you can't leave spaces, it's not going to be a deal breaker, but if you can do so then you should.
Original post by Dr.Ugs
May I ask how you did on the UKCAT last year? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

620 :smile: and thanks!
Original post by Becca-Sarah
They won't penalise you as such, but consider the perspective of the admissions tutor reading up to say 2000 statements over the space of a few weeks. They have two near identical statements, but one has lines between paragraphs, another is a block of text. The one that's easier to read is going to be seen every so slightly more favourably.

If you can't leave spaces, it's not going to be a deal breaker, but if you can do so then you should.

Just can include so much more! :frown:
Reply 1989
620 :smile: and thanks!

Well done on the improvement :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Well done on the improvement :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks again :tongue: when is your UKCAT?
Original post by manupalace
x

Firstly, a massive massive thank you for replying to my post and taking the time to go into detail particularly as you have been-there-done-it yourself :jumphug:

1. All except 1 of the other HCA's are above 30, most over 40 and have been in the job for a very long time. They too do "all cares" on their own and so by not doing it, I am worried I look incompetent or crap. I know I'm never really going to be as good as them what will all the years of experience they have on me but I don't want to appear lazy or reluctant :s-smilie:
This Nurse is very very well known for being lazy. All the other staff really really dislike her and take to bitching about her at every opportunity in an extremely unprofessional way. I'll have to admit that I have let rip about her on more than 1 occasion to other HCA's and whilst they are all sympathetic, there is little I can do. The line manager is aware of how crap she is, but can't really find a good enough reason to fire her - if he could have, I imagine he would have done so already in the years she has been working there.

During that very shift, I asked for her help twice. She said she was too busy doing discharges or whatever, get the other HCA. Other HCA's have their own bays and workload which is just as heavy. The longer the staff nurse leaves it or dosses around or whatever the longer the ladies are left unwashed and I just don't feel that's fair on them so I end up trying to manage on my own.

As well as patient washes and basic care, it's the way some newly qualified's treat me like their bitch. I can be in the middle of doing something and she'll take whatevers in my hand out of my hand, replace it with the drug keys and literally ask me to "go fetch x drug,". WTF.
The ward is generally quite helpful to one another and the nurses and HCA's try to work together so if we see a nurse struggling we try to help them out as much as we can but sometimes it's not possible. We, HCA's aren't really meant to be taking blood pressures and observations, but we will do sometimes if a nurse is really behind or something but the point is, it's voluntary. And even then, it's only if we're not neglecting our other duties as a HCA. So when NQN tells me she wants me to do all of her observations, when the ward is super busy and buzzers are going off like there is no tomorrow I am like: wtf. Other HCA's are shocked and inform me she isn't really allowed to do that.

3. Fair enough, NHSP is definitely something I'd like to do. I move hospitals soon anyway, so hopefully it'll be better there...i'll try to stick it out for another 3 months but I will be looking at other jobs as soon as I start.

4. Your probably right, but again, other HCA's do it and so I assume that's me too. It hasn't been too often actually and from here on in, i'll be flat out refusing to do it on my own. I get a bit freaked when I roll the patient and their eyes open in the middle of the night anyway.

5. I've been there for 2 months so far, handed in my 4 weeks notice to move to another hospital, so I would have been here for 3 months, and will try to stick it out at new hospital for further 3. Agency work does sound way better!

Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it :thumbsup:
Original post by ameelia22

Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it :thumbsup:

No problem :smile:

1. Ah that puts a different spin on it then. Have you spoken to them about how they manage the workload. More experienced HCAs and nurses really helped me get to grips with the workload when I first started. They're also really helpful when it comes to identifying what you can and can't do on your own. For example I can't imagine many experienced HCAs doing all care on a 14 stone patient on their own (though unfortunately the number of very heavy all care patients is increasing as time goes on :frown:). As I said, you only get one back and it can be very hard to fix when something goes wrong.

That seems like a really difficult situation with that nurse (I've worked with many like her), sounds like she's full of crappy excuses. Not sure what you can do in this situation apart from using the other HCAs, e.g. offering to help with one of their difficult washes if they help you with Mrs X. Totally get what you mean about it being unfair on the patients. How do the other HCAs deal with her? Do they just take it or do they have their own ways of getting her to help?

2. I get what you mean about newly qualifieds. I think they just get very excited now they are no longer someone's bitch (some nurses treat their student nurses like HCAs) and abuse the new power. I think there is also the scary prospect for them of being in charge of HCAs who have often been doing the job far longer than them and sometimes know more. They feel they need to show they're in charge and go overboard. Usually they get better over time and are more likely to listen to reason e.g. I have X washes to do and also Y and Z, so do you really need me to do that for you. I think you just need to be patient with them. However I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be getting drugs for them, its not what you are trained to do. Wouldn't be surprised if laws were being broken (but I assume/hope it just involves getting the box not putting tablets etc into a med pot).

Strange that HCAs don't do observations, its not common practice (though I assume this helps with your workload). If its going to impact on the jobs you are supposed to be doing, that they aren't helping with, refuse (unless they are clearly extremely behind, and/or there are sick patients requiring frequent obs which need to be prioritised) it shouldn't be something you are doing routinely if its not part of your role. However I suspect if you go elsewhere especially outside your trust you'll have to do this, in addition to your basic care tasks. I think rules like this hinder team work between nurses and HCAs. Things work much better (in my experience) when you share a common workload (though some people use it as a chance to take the piss).

3. Sounds good. Hopefully the new hospital will be better. However you're likely to encounter many lazy nurses in the future. Try to get signed up to NHSP as soon as you have the 6 months experience as the process can be slightly long. Have a look at hospitals they serve around your uni choices (if you don't feel its too early/presumptuous) if you haven't already and also figure out which other agencies would be useful to join (though if you join more than 1 tax can get a bit complicated)

4. Good idea, just be polite about it. I only had to do last offices twice and can't imagine doing it on my own. I'd be too freaked out, I even refused to be alone with them in the room when the nurse popped out to get something :lol: but I wasn't the only one so people understood. During my first experience of it I learned that muscle twitches/spasms don't stop as soon as they die, which meant I had an experience I'll never forget :lol: On a related note, I'm pretty sure a qualified nurse should always be involved in last offices, but this may have just been the case where I worked.

5. Sounds like a good plan. Also working in different places may be something useful to talk about at interview e.g. different patient populations/specialties and the effect on what you see/do. Agency/bank work can be more fun, and you create your own schedule (I always hated the rota, it would come out late and I couldn't plan anything). However it can be difficult to constantly be finding your feet in new places, which is another reason to try to stick it out where you are/where you are transferred to until you get better at handling the workload. Overall I definitely preferred NHSP work, the work was more varied, my schedule was better and the weekly pay was also nice :tongue:
Reply 1993
Thanks again :tongue: when is your UKCAT?

Friday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone used the PS helper service? I just feel my career advisers at my old school are USELESS..
If anyone has, did you find it useful? It does look really good. I'm still apprehensive about posting it online, even though it does seem very safe..
Reply 1995
Original post by SamEastie
Has anyone used the PS helper service? I just feel my career advisers at my old school are USELESS..
If anyone has, did you find it useful? It does look really good. I'm still apprehensive about posting it online, even though it does seem very safe..

I posted my PS 6 days ago and haven't had a reply. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I posted my PS 6 days ago and haven't had a reply. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah.. There does seem to be a long waiting list.
I may not even get it back before the deadline then..
Reply 1997
Ah.. There does seem to be a long waiting list.
I may not even get it back before the deadline then..

Yeah I just checked it! It says 14 days! Do you know any other sort of service???
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Yeah I just checked it! It says 14 days! Do you know any other sort of service???

Oh wow.. I've submitted mine anyway on the off chance I get it back aha
Nope unfortunately not! Wish I did! :frown:
Reply 1999
Oh wow.. I've submitted mine anyway on the off chance I get it back aha
Nope unfortunately not! Wish I did! :frown:

do you know any other medical students? I have a mentor at Keele medical school but he hasnt replied for over a month :confused:

Im so worried! I havent even looked at my PS as I was busy with UKCAT prep! Only written my first draft

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending