The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minhle20
Not sure. I'm going to wait for the other 3(Barts, Cardiff and Manchester) replies first before firming. I will say Barts is the only one out of the 3 I would firm before Leicester if I'm lucky enough to have multiple offers :smile:

But I will mostly likely firm Leicester because my interview at Barts didn't go so well in my opinion.

Congrats on King's again :biggrin: Are you going to firm King's?

Sounds like a good plan to me! I'm sure Bart's didn't go as badly as you think it did. I thought my King's interview had gone terribly, so I really wasn't expecting the offer at all! Still can't believe it! Yeah I think I'll definitely be firming :smile: Best of luck with Bart's! Although you're in a nice position, waiting on Bart's with an amazing offer at Leicester :biggrin: I really wanted to apply but the MMI interview scared me away haha
Original post by lovelycup7
Sounds like a good plan to me! I'm sure Bart's didn't go as badly as you think it did. I thought my King's interview had gone terribly, so I really wasn't expecting the offer at all! Still can't believe it! Yeah I think I'll definitely be firming :smile: Best of luck with Bart's! Although you're in a nice position, waiting on Bart's with an amazing offer at Leicester :biggrin: I really wanted to apply but the MMI interview scared me away haha

Actually MMIs aren't that bad. I think I prefer them to panel interviews. The Leicester one was nice(ish) - It felt like they were trying to make you show your personality rather than grill you. Well I might be a bit biased though :tongue:

Congrats on King's again :biggrin: It's an amazing med school :biggrin:
That's cool - you must be pretty good at handling pressure and thinking on your feet! (Two things I'm not great at haha :tongue: ) I guess it varies for everyone. Thank you so much, congrats to you too!! :biggrin:
Reply 3823
Original post by ameelia22
LOL! I think I may crumble though, I have just spend over £60 on 3 plastic boxes... it's taking all my strength not to go to Habitat!

Haha I just imagine you fighting with some old lady for the last plastic box in the store: '...give it to me you old witch!' :biggrin: If I was there shopping with you, I'd haggle/negotiate on everything. I'm not half Chinese for nothing :tongue:
Original post by Mohid Khan
Hi guys. How much can one expect to earn during their gap year

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a bank porter at a hospital, so technically anywhere between £0.00-£1100 per month depending on the amount of work available, however I get quite a few shifts, so that figure is somewhere around £500-£600. Wage is £7.31 per hour, goes up to £10.95 ("time and a half") after 8pm and on Sundays.
The clinical experience/observation available in this job and jobs like HCA/CSW are also worth a ridiculous amount when it comes to interview by the way. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Philippamalko
I'm on £1370 a month (plus 50% off my car insurance) at direct line. It just depends what kind of job you get and how much time you want to spend working

Posted from TSR Mobile

so how long do you work and where do you work :biggrin:
Original post by PocketMerlin
I'm a bank porter at a hospital, so technically anywhere between £0.00-£1100 per month depending on the amount of work available, however I get quite few shifts, so that figure is somewhere around £500-£600. Wage is £7.31 per hour, goes up to £10.95 ("time and a half") after 8pm and on Sundays.
The clinical experience/observation available in this job and jobs like HCA/CSW are also worth a ridiculous amount when it comes to interview by the way. :wink:

hi, are these sums after tax or before tax
hi, are these sums after tax or before tax

After tax, you probably won't get taxed much (if at all) on bank depending on what you actually earn.
After tax, you probably won't get taxed much (if at all) on bank depending on what you actually earn.

thanks, so am i right in thinking that i will have savings around 4000
thanks, so am i right in thinking that i will have savings around 4000

Possibly yes, but it depends when you actually begin working, and how many bank shifts are available. Also, remember that things like online shopping exist, and you may happen to get very very tempted when you have money in the bank. :biggrin:
Possibly yes, but it depends when you actually begin working, and how many bank shifts are available. Also, remember that things like online shopping exist, and you may happen to get very very tempted when you have money in the bank. :biggrin:

ha, probably :colondollar:
ha, probably :colondollar:

100% would recommend working in a hospital though, either as a porter or as a health care assistant/clinical support worker. I work on A&E quite a bit, and you do tend to see some rather interesting sights. Pretty much anywhere in the hospital is going to allow you to gain even a little bit of experience, plus you will gain some experience of patient contact.
Original post by Hugby1
Guy who posted above me lies. I hit £1300 each month as a nursing assistant, although that is full time... Mind you I don't know what I would do with myself if I wasn't full time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't lying haha, I work part time and I get roughly 550/month

Posted from TSR Mobile
so how long do you work and where do you work :biggrin:

35 hours a week, 7 hours a day monday to friday at Direct Line Group in Leeds
Reply 3834
Hey guys!

Got my first ever HCA interview at my local hospital tomorrow eeeeek! I have to do a numeracy and literacy test beforehand (anyone know anything about this :/) and then if I'm successful I get an interview slot - SO ANY TIPS?!?

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3835

I started on the NVQ which is going to apparently be compulsory for HCAs and that had a maths/english thing. You really don't need to worry -- assuming it's similar (if not the same) it will likely test basic level numeracy ie multiplication, fractions etc.. In the one I did the final hardest question involved Pythagoras theorem.

the literacy thing involved reading for meaning and checking spelling and punctuation. Again not really challenging if you've had a background of doing GCSEs and A-levels.

Best of luck for your interview!!
Reply 3836
Original post by richtea5
I started on the NVQ which is going to apparently be compulsory for HCAs and that had a maths/english thing. You really don't need to worry -- assuming it's similar (if not the same) it will likely test basic level numeracy ie multiplication, fractions etc.. In the one I did the final hardest question involved Pythagoras theorem.

the literacy thing involved reading for meaning and checking spelling and punctuation. Again not really challenging if you've had a background of doing GCSEs and A-levels.

Best of luck for your interview!!

Right! Thanks a lot :smile: so basically would you say I don't need to prepare for the test thingy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3837
Original post by picnmix
Right! Thanks a lot :smile: so basically would you say I don't need to prepare for the test thingy?
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're feeling a bit nervous and doing some prep makes you feel better than go for it something like BBC bitesize would probs be around the right level. But otherwise just relax I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Reply 3838
Original post by richtea5
If you're feeling a bit nervous and doing some prep makes you feel better than go for it something like BBC bitesize would probs be around the right level. But otherwise just relax I'm sure you'll do great :smile:

Thanks man - you da best! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by picnmix
Hey guys!

Got my first ever HCA interview at my local hospital tomorrow eeeeek! I have to do a numeracy and literacy test beforehand (anyone know anything about this :/) and then if I'm successful I get an interview slot - SO ANY TIPS?!?

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is equivalent to a Grade D at GCSE Maths/ English in terms of difficulty. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending