The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,
Was just wondering if you'd be able to offer some advice on strategic applications etc...I originally applied for medicine in the UCAS 2012 cycle, but recieved four rejections without interview from Cambridge, Leeds, Nottingham and Brighton & Sussex. I since took a place for Biochemistry at Edinburgh in clearing, but dropped out after six months and will be applying again this September for medicine. Last my UKCAT was awful, like truly awful, my average was about 560. Doing it again on 1st August so fingers crossed for better result this time.

A-Levels:
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A
Religious Studies:Philosophy & Ethics - A*
AS Physics - B
Extended Project Qualification - A*

At GCSE I got 6 A*'s, 2 A's and 1 B in Maths.

So just wondering if anyone had any advice on where to apply this year, I was thinking Edinburgh, Dundee, Leciester and Brighton & Sussex. Also I was thinking of putting down nursing at Edinburgh as a 5th option so was wondering if anyone knew anything about if you apply at the same university for both medicine and nursing will it adversely affect one of your applications? Thanks in advance and sorry it's such a long post!
Reply 541
Original post by bethmacca
Hey guys,
Was just wondering if you'd be able to offer some advice on strategic applications etc...I originally applied for medicine in the UCAS 2012 cycle, but recieved four rejections without interview from Cambridge, Leeds, Nottingham and Brighton & Sussex. I since took a place for Biochemistry at Edinburgh in clearing, but dropped out after six months and will be applying again this September for medicine. Last my UKCAT was awful, like truly awful, my average was about 560. Doing it again on 1st August so fingers crossed for better result this time.

A-Levels:
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A
AS Physics - B

So just wondering if anyone had any advice on where to apply this year, I was thinking Edinburgh, Dundee, Leciester and Brighton & Sussex. Also I was thinking of putting down nursing at Edinburgh as a 5th option so was wondering if anyone knew anything about if you apply at the same university for both medicine and nursing will it adversely affect one of your applications? Thanks in advance and sorry it's such a long post!

Edinburgh is a risk imo because they don't interview. Check my FOI requests for some more information on all the medical schools :smile:

Before looking at where to apply, focus on the UKCAT, that is the most important thing because it opens up A LOT of choices. Also, what was your BMAT score?
Reply 542
Original post by Eager Beaver
Hi everyone, I haven't posted in this thread for a while. I just applied for a HCA job to keep my occupied and build skills etc. and I've been put forward to the next 'stage' where I have to complete a practical assessment and a numeracy & literacy test, and if I pass those I go through to the interview stage. Just wondering if anyone has gone through the same procedure and has any advice for me? Thanks in advance!

The test is easy :tongue: Do you know what kind of practical assessment it'll be? Do they give you any details?
Hey guys,

A-Levels:
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A
AS Physics - B

First of all congrats on the great A level grades and on having the guts to drop out of your course and reapply for med, hope it will bring rewards for you.

You will need to do your research if you are going to apply for nursing with a medicine personal statement. Nursing is not a typical back up for medicine and many nursing schools will not appreciate you treating it as such (its not like applying to biomed for example or even something like pharmacy). To add to this nursing is not easy to get into (at least not to the extent that you can get in with a PS for a different subject), not sure how competitive Edinburgh is though. Essentially I'm not sure whether the medical school admissions panel would doubt your commitment to the course but the nursing panel definitely would.

Best of luck with your UKCAT, just focus on getting practice.
Original post by Revent
Edinburgh is a risk imo because they don't interview. Check my FOI requests for some more information on all the medical schools :smile:

Before looking at where to apply, focus on the UKCAT, that is the most important thing because it opens up A LOT of choices. Also, what was your BMAT score?

Yeah, I think I'm only going apply to Edinburgh if I get a high-ish UKCAT score. Your FOI requests were really helpful, thank you, I'll be able to get a good feel of where my application would be best suited to.
Can't wait for my UKCAT to be done, currently doing a good few hours a day now as it's my focus after doing so badly last year. My BMAT score was average, nothing great, but I don't really fancy any of the BMAT uni's this time around though they might provide another option if my UKCAT doesn't go to plan.
Reply 545
Yeah, I think I'm only going apply to Edinburgh if I get a high-ish UKCAT score. Your FOI requests were really helpful, thank you, I'll be able to get a good feel of where my application would be best suited to.
Can't wait for my UKCAT to be done, currently doing a good few hours a day now as it's my focus after doing so badly last year. My BMAT score was average, nothing great, but I don't really fancy any of the BMAT uni's this time around though they might provide another option if my UKCAT doesn't go to plan.

Great! :smile: Also places to watch out for are Bristol and Sheffield because they use the PS a lot and obviously, how good a PS is is pretty subjective. I've heard a lot of people found Medify a great site for revising for the UKCAT (albeit it's not free but relatively cheap).

Well, if you could even get an average BMAT score, that makes Imperial a good place to consider :smile: Obviously, all dependent on your UKCAT because a 700+ score would mean you wouldn't even need to consider BMAT universities because you have so many options!
Original post by Revent
The test is easy :tongue: Do you know what kind of practical assessment it'll be? Do they give you any details?

I've got a similar thing coming up. How easy? :colone: They won't test us on some crazy A-level Further maths integration problem? Are they?
Reply 547
Original post by frogs r everywhere
I've got a similar thing coming up. How easy? :colone: They won't test us on some crazy A-level Further maths integration problem? Are they?

VERY easy :lol: You shouldn't even consider medicine if you fail that test. It is THAT easy :tongue: At it's highest difficulty, I'd say it compares with KS3 school stuff :lol:
Reply 548
For some reason, that got me scared. No pressure :redface:

I assume you know what KS3 is? :tongue: Idk if that's a national standard or not, but it's basically as hard as Year 9 work or Third form depending on what type of school you studied at :tongue: It's honestly not that difficult.

BUT, the practical might be a bit trickier if you have to do it :wink: Do you know if you have to do one? :smile:
Original post by Revent
I assume you know what KS3 is? :tongue: Idk if that's a national standard or not, but it's basically as hard as Year 9 work or Third form depending on what type of school you studied at :tongue: It's honestly not that difficult.

BUT, the practical might be a bit trickier if you have to do it :wink: Do you know if you have to do one? :smile:

Haha :smile: Sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internet :cyber: On the inviting e-, it just says "you have been invited to take a "test". :/
Reply 550
Heyyyyyy I'm also a re applicant! Why is medicine so damn tough :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 551
Haha :smile: Sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internet :cyber: On the inviting e-, it just says "you have been invited to take a "test". :/

Ah sorry :tongue:

Well, in that case, JUST to be safe, learn how to take blood pressure using a sphygmomanometer and check blood sugar levels . Both are really easy to do and I wouldn't worry too much about it :smile: Just learn it to be safe
Original post by Revent
Ah sorry :tongue:

Well, in that case, JUST to be safe, learn how to take blood pressure using a sphygmomanometer and check blood sugar levels . Both are really easy to do and I wouldn't worry too much about it :smile: Just learn it to be safe

Thank you. :biggrin:

Yes, I will! For those, I'll also have a look on some Youtube tutorial videos. :smile:
Original post by Revent

So hopefully the test will be easy, it better not be like the ukcat :') I asked about what the practical actually involves, and I was told a trained professional does a demo on a dummy in a 'ward setting', we (the applicants) must then be able to fully replicate that procedure. I'm more nervous for the practical simply because I've never done anything like this, and the uncertainty of what the procedure is.:s-smilie:
Then if I pass both of those assessments stated above I then have to have an interview.
So hopefully the test will be easy, it better not be like the ukcat :') I asked about what the practical actually involves, and I was told a trained professional does a demo on a dummy in a 'ward setting', we (the applicants) must then be able to fully replicate that procedure. I'm more nervous for the practical simply because I've never done anything like this, and the uncertainty of what the procedure is.:s-smilie:
Then if I pass both of those assessments stated above I then have to have an interview.

http://medicmumblejumble.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/interviews-for-hca-posts.html

Remember stuff like:
Raise the bed when you roll the patient
Look up how to correctly roll the patient
Make sure the buzzer for help is nearby them when you leave
Put the bed back down before you leave
Pulling the curtain around
putting on gloves, knowing what you need and where to dispose of the stuff
there should be a pull out table thing at the end of the bed
communicate to the dummy like it's a real person
washing hands infection control all that
Hey guys,
A-Levels:
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A
AS Physics - B

Hi Bethmacca, and welcome to TSR.

Your grades are certainly good enough to get into medicine. I don't know much about the places you want to apply to, but read the wiki articles on 'applying for your strengths' and 'A level requirements' and make sure your GCSE/AS grades, subjects and UKCAT will give you a competitive chance of success (sorry to be blunt, but if you'd done that or checked their website last year, you wouldn't have applied to Nottingham with a poor UKCAT score). Also look out (in the same article I think) for uni's that give a higher rank for achieved grades.

Regarding making two applications to the same place, that can certainly work IMO (I did it, and got offers for both courses). Your PS should be focussed 100% on medicine, so it will be clear to the assessors what you're doing. Good luck!
Original post by ameelia22
http://medicmumblejumble.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/interviews-for-hca-posts.html

Remember stuff like:
Raise the bed when you roll the patient
Look up how to correctly roll the patient
Make sure the buzzer for help is nearby them when you leave
Put the bed back down before you leave
Pulling the curtain around
putting on gloves, knowing what you need and where to dispose of the stuff
there should be a pull out table thing at the end of the bed
communicate to the dummy like it's a real person
washing hands infection control all that

Thanks for the advice, and the blog post was extremely helpful. But reading it, I was surprised there was no demonstration before you had to carry out the practical. Surely that's unfair as you haven't even started training for the job yet and so don't know proper rules and regulations etc.?
Thanks for the advice, and the blog post was extremely helpful. But reading it, I was surprised there was no demonstration before you had to carry out the practical. Surely that's unfair as you haven't even started training for the job yet and so don't know proper rules and regulations etc.?

There was sort of. I would ask her to show me, I'd try to copy her as best as I could, and I'd forget to do stuff like put my hand on the knee of the patient as well.

She didn't show me anything to do with health and safety, infection control, and all of that.
Original post by ameelia22
There was sort of. I would ask her to show me, I'd try to copy her as best as I could, and I'd forget to do stuff like put my hand on the knee of the patient as well.

She didn't show me anything to do with health and safety, infection control, and all of that.

This has made me more nervous haha :colondollar:
Reply 559
Hi everyone, I haven't posted in this thread for a while. I just applied for a HCA job to keep my occupied and build skills etc. and I've been put forward to the next 'stage' where I have to complete a practical assessment and a numeracy & literacy test, and if I pass those I go through to the interview stage. Just wondering if anyone has gone through the same procedure and has any advice for me? Thanks in advance!

Hiya, I wrote about my interview experience on my blog which you can find in my profile.

Has anyone applied for surgical jobs? I applied for a theatre support worker post and have got an interview on Tuesday (totally surprised about this because I don't know anything about the role and they specifically asked us to describe 'what do you think the role of a TSW involves?'. I ended up paraphrasing the job description so I really don't know how that happened!). The job description was really vague :tongue:

Basically, any idea of what to expect or does anyone know what a theatre support worker does?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending