The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Hi :smile:

Dies anyone know what I'd need to know about the NHS for a healthcare assistant job ? On the personal specification it said have a good knowledge about the NHS... I don't really know what this means :redface:

The application/ getting a job process is so long ... I need money now lol
Reply 561
Hey guys! I missed the mark this year. Getting more work experience as Leeds advised and going for it! We can do it! :biggrin:
Reply 562
Original post by ameelia22
Hey y'all

I'll be a reapplicant for 2014 too.

Applied to:
Liverpool
Aberdeen
HYMS
Keele

Given my stats, I don't think I could have applied any more strategically than I did. I researched for a good 18 months before my application was sent off, so knew that this was the best I could do given the situation I was in. My only interview and thus post-interview rejection was Liverpool. I can't blame them, it was my first interview, I was a nervous, sweating, red, wreck. I am usually quite confident and a give-them-my-all attitude type person, but I was demolished to a bag of anxiety come interview day.

Feeling quite depleted at the moment. Don't really have any motivation to get any work done, which is obviously not the greatest idea - think I need to start researching my gap year a bit more thoroughly so I'm far more excited for it, and then hopefully that will motivate me to get the grades that I need.

What are you guys hoping to do this gap year?
Any of you started applying to NHS jobs yet?

Exactly this!
The very same happened to me come interview day. I wasn't prepared enough and I'm now paying the price.
I'm usually really confident but I just broke down. Worst experience ever! >.<
Original post by ameelia22
There was sort of. I would ask her to show me, I'd try to copy her as best as I could, and I'd forget to do stuff like put my hand on the knee of the patient as well.

She didn't show me anything to do with health and safety, infection control, and all of that.

Thanks for all the advice, I passed it woo!:biggrin: It was one of the most stressful things I've ever done though... I was told there was going to be a full demonstration but there wasn't! It was the exact same scenario and layout as yours. The nurse showed me once how to roll a patient but besides that no further advice was given! And when I spoke to the dummy, it replied and that freaked me out! :') All I have left is the interview
Original post by Eager Beaver
Thanks for all the advice, I passed it woo!:biggrin: It was one of the most stressful things I've ever done though... I was told there was going to be a full demonstration but there wasn't! It was the exact same scenario and layout as yours. The nurse showed me once how to roll a patient but besides that no further advice was given! And when I spoke to the dummy, it replied and that freaked me out! :') All I have left is the interview

Well done! All I had to do was to write a paragraph about patient engagement, how I would deal with a violent patient, and list 10 qualities required for teamwork. There was no clinical/numeracy test, which was what I expected aha. Good luck for the interview.
Original post by becky1237
Exactly this!
The very same happened to me come interview day. I wasn't prepared enough and I'm now paying the price.
I'm usually really confident but I just broke down. Worst experience ever! >.<

It's tough and stressful, but I think I'll be so much better off this year because of it. Silver linings eh?

Original post by Eager Beaver

Well done :smile: Glad to hear it, that's the hardest part honestly!
Reply 566
Hi guys! I'm a medic reapplicant too. Ive applied for about 2 HCA jobs, 1 nursing assistant job, and a job as a assistant ward manager. I've just heard back from the nursing assistant job so far, and I have an assessment, and if I pass that, then an interview. I was wondering, do many people get called to assessments? Although I have been invited, are my chances low? Should I continue to apply for more jobs..
Has anyone registered with ucas yet for applying this October? :smile: I want to register but does anyone know whether my account from last Octobers entry will still exist/I'll still be able to use it if I make a second account now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 568
Hi! I'm also thinking of applying for post-graduate medicine either during the 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 academic year.

In terms of experience, I took a gap year during 2010/2011 and worked as a theatre support worker/auxiliary nurse for seven months. I have also shadowed a consultant in hepatology in 2011 and I'm also shadow him again during August/September. I've also volunteered as a junior mentor at a secondary school in Hackney and I'm currently trying to look for voluntary experience in a hospital environment.

In terms of my academics, I achieved A*AA in Maths, Chemistry and Biology. In addition, I've just finished the second year of my degree in Pharmacology last June and I'm also predicted a first.

Would it be wise for me to apply for graduate entry medicine during 2014 as I don't have much voluntary experience?
Reply 569
Did anyone apply to Bristol? If so, what are their GCSE requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Did anyone apply to Bristol? If so, what are their GCSE requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. For 2013 entry (and possibly 2014), they require A grades in Mathematics and English language. The highest 8 GCSE's at A*/A are considered. An A* grades isn't seen as "more advantageous" as an A grade
Reply 571
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Yes. For 2013 entry (and possibly 2014), they require A grades in Mathematics and English language. The highest 8 GCSE's at A*/A are considered. An A* grades isn't seen as "more advantageous" as an A grade

How much do Bristol consider your personal statement? What weighing is given?
Original post by annaridgway95
Has anyone registered with ucas yet for applying this October? :smile: I want to register but does anyone know whether my account from last Octobers entry will still exist/I'll still be able to use it if I make a second account now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I have re-registered with UCAS for this October. You basically just apply as you would have done last year, so new account, then you are given a different candidate ID, which apparently reverts to your last year's one when you submit your application. I think your username and password can be the same as before:smile:!
Original post by cassenoisette
Hi! I have re-registered with UCAS for this October. You basically just apply as you would have done last year, so new account, then you are given a different candidate ID, which apparently reverts to your last year's one when you submit your application. I think your username and password can be the same as before:smile:!

Ohh okay, thanks! So if I re-register now, will I still be able to use my old account or not? (for clearing/late offers just in case)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by annaridgway95
Ohh okay, thanks! So if I re-register now, will I still be able to use my old account or not? (for clearing/late offers just in case)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think so, but don't take my word for it. I can still log on to Track and am in Clearing according to it.
Original post by cassenoisette
I think so, but don't take my word for it. I can still log on to Track and am in Clearing according to it.

Okay thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 576
Original post by frogs r everywhere

Oh thanks :smile: I hope you don't mind me asking: why did they reject you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 577
Original post by Maccman

I would assume ALOT as they don't use the UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 578
Original post by Maccman

If it's the same as last year, 80% PS and 20% academics.
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Oh thanks :smile: I hope you don't mind me asking: why did they reject you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As HCubed has said, its 80% personal statement, 20% academics.
I was interviewed, and just missed out after being a "borderline candidate"in April.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending