The Student Room Group

Pupil given razor to self-harm by teacher

Scroll to see replies

Dat **** cray.
What is this devolution of society,just because someone (obviously unstable) wants to do something they should not always be supported to the full extent.Positive reinforcement is brilliant,just not in situations like this :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by madmoofkh
I think people need to realise that self harming is an addiction, one that is very difficult to break the cycle of. Especially if the circumstances in that individual's life dictate that, in their view, hurting themselves is the appropriate way to deal with it.

Hospitals offer a safe environment to reduce the number of infections from self harm wounds (http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/oct/25/self-harm-hospital-assisted), at least they were trying to acknowledge that the problem exists. As far as I know, this has been stopped, but I can't find any more up-to-date information.

ce90, yes you are right, but when you feel that you are getting nowhere by talking to people about your problems and life circumstances, and get constantly bullied from the age of 7 until you leave school at the age of 17, your parents bully you, your family bullies you, or you're struggling to deal with something that is completely out of your control then you begin to take it out on yourself because you start thinking that it's your fault.

Whilst I agree that informed consent should have been given, and it shouldn't have taken place in school grounds, the teacher was clearly (to me) trying to help someone who feels that this is the only way to cope.

I hope that the pupil can get access to help that will help them on the way to recovery.

I actually thought about it and actually agree with the side that it would be safer for the teacher to provide a clean razor. I have seen it happen myself, a friend used to cut herself in class when it got bad. She used to use pencil sharpener blades, but nothing was done about it. I kind of see from the therapy/counselling point of view so sometimes my judgement gets clouded, but now realise not all schools have this kind of service and it doesn't always help. I used to cut also and so did my husband (sometimes still does apparently, but we are dealing with that as best we can).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending