The Student Room Group

Do you put your camera on in online lessons?

Poll

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

With most people doing online lessons at the moment, I wondered whether you put your camera on for lessons? Is it optional? Do your teachers have rules about cameras?

If you don't put your camera on, why is that?

Do you find it makes a difference whether you/other students have their cameras on?

Scroll to see replies

I don't put it on because:
1. I am not allowed
2. I feel self-conscious showing my face
3. I hate video calling anyway (I hate taking on the phone or through video in general)
4. Invasion of privacy
Because no one else does and because I just feel really awkward. I do feel bad for the teachers though because it is as if they are just talking to themselves as everyone is too scared to speak too. Some classes we have our cameras on if we like the teacher enough
:hide: :no:
- we were told not to bc of bandwidth
- my background is too messy
- it generally makes me anxious anyway
bc im behind with content and struggling that i dont know wth goes on during tutorials and i dont wanna be picked on.
im at uni btw
I do sometimes, but I am always the only person. I usually just set a funny background or something because my room is a bombsite right now.
Original post by V℮rsions
I do sometimes, but I am always the only person. I usually just set a funny background or something because my room is a bombsite right now.

exactly - i do it when i feel bad for the teacher cos they are literally staring at a silent black screen
Reply 7
Nope..

Spoiler

Original post by Imane888
I don't put it on because:
1. I am not allowed
2. I feel self-conscious showing my face
3. I hate video calling anyway (I hate taking on the phone or through video in general)
4. Invasion of privacy

It sounds like lots of people feel similarly! Out of interest, who says you aren't allowed - like the school? And do you mean invasion of privacy because people would be able to see your house and stuff?

Original post by SchuylerSister22
Because no one else does and because I just feel really awkward. I do feel bad for the teachers though because it is as if they are just talking to themselves as everyone is too scared to speak too. Some classes we have our cameras on if we like the teacher enough

Original post by _Mia101
exactly - i do it when i feel bad for the teacher cos they are literally staring at a silent black screen

It's so interesting you say this. I've been hearing some stuff about teachers finding it hard teaching when everyone's camera is off and it sounds like in some classes not many kids speak either? Must be a weird experience. Do you reckon many kids think about this? Do you think it does anything to the way you learn by having your camera on/off?
Original post by BlinkyBill
It sounds like lots of people feel similarly! Out of interest, who says you aren't allowed - like the school? And do you mean invasion of privacy because people would be able to see your house and stuff?

It's so interesting you say this. I've been hearing some stuff about teachers finding it hard teaching when everyone's camera is off and it sounds like in some classes not many kids speak either? Must be a weird experience. Do you reckon many kids think about this? Do you think it does anything to the way you learn by having your camera on/off?

yeah the school won't allow us (only teachers can turn cams on). Don't want people to see my house and stuff or outfit tbh or face.
Original post by SchuylerSister22

yeah I agree, we don't need to put our camera on though but we use the chat to discuss or the microphone. But it gets awkward sometimes when the teacher asks a question and no one answers :rolleyes:
yeah the school won't allow us (only teachers can turn cams on). Don't want people to see my house and stuff or outfit tbh or face.

wow, I'm so shocked. Our school encourages us to our camera on , you can also change the background but they say that it's your choice :eek:

no I can still learn perfectly with my camera off.

Well, in most (actually all) of my lessons only one other person really tends to speak, so sometimes I feel a bit nervous to talk cos I don't want everyone to feel like I'm monopolising the lessons - but then if no one speaks it is sooo awkward.

But yeah, I don't think most people do - when I told my friends they were like I'm so considerate thinking about that, but I honestly think it makes the lessons a lot more interactive and forces people to pay attention instead of asking the teacher to repeat the question if their picked to answer (which happens when no one responds) :sigh:

on a side note, does anyone else have shorter lessons now that we are online?
Original post by kittyfifi123456
wow, I'm so shocked. Our school encourages us to our camera on , you can also change the background but they say that it's your choice :eek:

mine blocks the cams.
mine blocks the cams.

it should be your choice as some people prefer to have their camera on
it should be your choice as some people prefer to have their camera on

idk if people in my classes do prefer to have it on tbh.

Ah riiiight! That's super interesting.

no I can still learn perfectly with my camera off.

That's good!

Original post by _Mia101
Well, in most (actually all) of my lessons only one other person really tends to speak, so sometimes I feel a bit nervous to talk cos I don't want everyone to feel like I'm monopolising the lessons - but then if no one speaks it is sooo awkward.

But yeah, I don't think most people do - when I told my friends they were like I'm so considerate thinking about that, but I honestly think it makes the lessons a lot more interactive and forces people to pay attention instead of asking the teacher to repeat the question if their picked to answer (which happens when no one responds) :sigh:

on a side note, does anyone else have shorter lessons now that we are online?

Part of me wonders whether it makes a difference to avoiding distractions, etc. Or whether it makes it worse because you can't concentrate if having the camera on bothers you. We do lots of video calls for work, but I think that's a bit different to doing school online.
personally, I dont mind putting my camera on because I feel bad for the teachers and when I put it on it makes me more compelled to pay attention.
plus it's compulsory to put them on at my school, I believe some younger kids messed about w the teacher so they introduced a new rule where everyone has to put their cameras on (if someone has an issue w cameras, then their parents have been told to contact head of year to let them know) so yeah :smile: plus it feels less isolated seeing other people's faces.
Part of me wonders whether it makes a difference to avoiding distractions, etc. Or whether it makes it worse because you can't concentrate if having the camera on bothers you. We do lots of video calls for work, but I think that's a bit different to doing school online.

Hmm, I guess it depends on the person :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending