The Student Room Group

Freshers- For Commuting Students

Hi, I'm just posting to see if anyone who had lived at home while attending uni can give their experience of their freshers week.

I'm going to be going to Glasgow university in September and will be travelling maybe 25 mins on the train to uni and am pretty scared that it'll be hard to make new friends as I can understand people will make groups etc in halls.

My other concern is how late does like the events go on for? This is a problem as the last trains are about 11 o'clock and well a taxi would cost a lot. Like what times does the unions close so I could maybe get the first morning train.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I know people who get along fine with living at home. They tend to have made friends on their course and then branched out to people that others live with.

The unions usually close at around 2-3 for freshers events in my experience, the morning train may be a bit too late. How much would a taxi cost you? Remember you don't need to turn up to every event so even if you only did a few.
Reply 2
Original post by sowg
I know people who get along fine with living at home. They tend to have made friends on their course and then branched out to people that others live with.

The unions usually close at around 2-3 for freshers events in my experience, the morning train may be a bit too late. How much would a taxi cost you? Remember you don't need to turn up to every event so even if you only did a few.

Yeah but I'd like to try and make friends from the start!

Yeah it'd cost maybe £20-£30 and well as you'll probably know that's a lot if money on a student budget. I suppose I could find something to do for an hour or so as the first train is at 5am but I don't want to be stranded.
I don't think I'll be going to all the events but would like to get the best experience I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I live almost the same distance away from Glasgow uni and went there myself previously. My experience was a pretty positive one in terms of people, people from Glasgow are very sociable and uni people in general. I didnt do anything for Freshers week as I didnt know anyone yet, I spoke to people on that YouGo website, I think it was called that anyway, which was good, arranged to go on a night out with a guy but he never showed and I had to leave for the last train which was around 11 also. But despite being stood up, once my course started I would just put myself out there and chat away to people outside lectures and because I was in everyday I could regularly see them and get to know them better. I would try asking people to go for lunch or even just for a quick drink at the union. I left glasgow as I didnt enjoy my course, but I hope you get on well! youll get the whole "if you dont live in halls youre missing out" argument but I wouldnt listen to it. You can and will make friends if you commute, as long as you put yourself out there, approach people, make the effort. There will be plenty of other commuters hanging about by themselves, so its fairly easy to just say hey and strike up conversation. Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Chocolatesoup
Hey, I live almost the same distance away from Glasgow uni and went there myself previously. My experience was a pretty positive one in terms of people, people from Glasgow are very sociable and uni people in general. I didnt do anything for Freshers week as I didnt know anyone yet, I spoke to people on that YouGo website, I think it was called that anyway, which was good, arranged to go on a night out with a guy but he never showed and I had to leave for the last train which was around 11 also. But despite being stood up, once my course started I would just put myself out there and chat away to people outside lectures and because I was in everyday I could regularly see them and get to know them better. I would try asking people to go for lunch or even just for a quick drink at the union. I left glasgow as I didnt enjoy my course, but I hope you get on well! youll get the whole "if you dont live in halls youre missing out" argument but I wouldnt listen to it. You can and will make friends if you commute, as long as you put yourself out there, approach people, make the effort. There will be plenty of other commuters hanging about by themselves, so its fairly easy to just say hey and strike up conversation. Good luck :smile:

Hey thanks for your experience, that makes me feel better about the whole situation. Sorry im not sure if i read it right, but did you go to freshers week or not? I know a few people in my school who'll be going but theyre not exactly my closest friends so i don't want to be that guy who's just randomly hanging about with them haha :smile:
Original post by munchen102
Hey thanks for your experience, that makes me feel better about the whole situation. Sorry im not sure if i read it right, but did you go to freshers week or not? I know a few people in my school who'll be going but theyre not exactly my closest friends so i don't want to be that guy who's just randomly hanging about with them haha :smile:

Nah I didnt go to anything, apart from that night out which the guy didnt turn up to :tongue: which was spent sitting in the cold so i wouldnt really count that as doing anything for freshers personally. hope you have a good experience, after a few bad experiences im not as 'out there' as i used to be, but a younger friend of mine went out during freshers at stirling uni on her own and went to pub events and ended up talking to people. that can either go one way or another so it really just depends on the people there and if you have the balls to approach randoms :tongue: good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending