The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Commuting to University of Kent- Ask us anything!

Hi.

Are you planning to commute to university in September?

I am undergraduate student who studies Psychology at the University of Kent and I have been commuting to university for the past 3 years. I have one more year to go as I head into my final year. Feel free to ask me any questions such as:

- What is it like living off campus?
- How do I get involved with University events when I am commuting?
- What is public transport like in Canterbury?
- Tips on making friends as someone who commutes?

These are just some examples of things you may be curious about but you are welcome to ask anything that is not on the list!

You can find out more about Kent here: https://www.kent.ac.uk.

I look forward to hearing your questions!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 1
Original post by University of Kent
Hi.

I am undergraduate student who studies Psychology at the University of Kent and I have been commuting to university for the past 3 years. I have one more year to go as I head into my final year. Feel free to ask me any questions such as:

These are just some examples of things you may be curious about but you are welcome to ask anything that is not on the list!

Alia

Hi,
I am joining uni of kent from next month as an undergraduate student. I'll be commuting too, i wanted to ask how did you attend freshers events as commuter like do you know what time the events start n end.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by Daisy90
Hi,
I am joining uni of kent from next month as an undergraduate student. I'll be commuting too, i wanted to ask how did you attend freshers events as commuter like do you know what time the events start n end.

Hey @Daisy90

You can find information about official Welcome Week and Freshers events here on the University of Kent website (includes both drinking and non-drinking events). Most of the events are ticketed or you can get a KPASS which allows you entry to all of the events I think (and other events after freshers like the Summer Ball). :smile:

You may also be able to find info about freshers events on the official Facebook freshers group or on other freshers groups like this one.

Hope this helps!

Natalie
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Do you know why Unirider bus tickets can only be used on the app instead of either the stagecoach app or Smart card? Like is it known if it's something the University requested or just stagecoach. It's left me incredibly stressed, worrying about whether I will have enough data, or the inability to get a good connection for many of the places I travel to
Original post by Thorn344
Do you know why Unirider bus tickets can only be used on the app instead of either the stagecoach app or Smart card? Like is it known if it's something the University requested or just stagecoach. It's left me incredibly stressed, worrying about whether I will have enough data, or the inability to get a good connection for many of the places I travel to

Hi @Thorn344,

I have had the same issue unfortunately. I believe it comes from Stagecoach to save money and make things more efficient. I was worried about my phone not having enough storage and would prefer to use my smartcard too. I did contact stagecoach via email a few days ago so I can let you know on this post and tag you if I hear anything but I do not think I will.

Some of your options include calling stagecoach: 0345 241 8000. This is the number I found on their website. You can also try speaking to bus drivers to see if they know anything or anyone who might be able to help you.

When purchasing the ticket it does say in the app that to 'ensure your active ticket is valid when boarding the service, you must make sure you have connected to the internet within this app at least once in the previous 8 hours.'

I am sorry to hear that the issue is leaving you stressed. I hope this provides some reassurance. So if you log in before you leave uni you should be okay. I think once you have your ticket you might be able to download it, but I am not 100% sure of this as most uniriders are not active till the 18th September (tomorrow) so I cannot check this for you. If it helps, you can buy the uni day riders for a while before you ask a bus driver as they might know who might be able to help you.

Alia
Reply 5
Hi @Thorn344,

I have had the same issue unfortunately. I believe it comes from Stagecoach to save money and make things more efficient. I was worried about my phone not having enough storage and would prefer to use my smartcard too. I did contact stagecoach via email a few days ago so I can let you know on this post and tag you if I hear anything but I do not think I will.

Some of your options include calling stagecoach: 0345 241 8000. This is the number I found on their website. You can also try speaking to bus drivers to see if they know anything or anyone who might be able to help you.

When purchasing the ticket it does say in the app that to 'ensure your active ticket is valid when boarding the service, you must make sure you have connected to the internet within this app at least once in the previous 8 hours.'

I am sorry to hear that the issue is leaving you stressed. I hope this provides some reassurance. So if you log in before you leave uni you should be okay. I think once you have your ticket you might be able to download it, but I am not 100% sure of this as most uniriders are not active till the 18th September (tomorrow) so I cannot check this for you. If it helps, you can buy the uni day riders for a while before you ask a bus driver as they might know who might be able to help you.

Alia

As in download it each day to use potentially? I know that there is like a word of the day etc. If you find out, could you let me know? I take 4 buses a day, so having to activate it each time would mean I run out of data so fast.
I phoned and the rep said she would ask if they could I coude smart card, due to half the places I go to not having a connection, and someone may email me if it does change.
I was hoping bus travel would be the one thing I didn't have to stress about, but now it's all I can think about
Original post by Thorn344
As in download it each day to use potentially? I know that there is like a word of the day etc. If you find out, could you let me know? I take 4 buses a day, so having to activate it each time would mean I run out of data so fast.
I phoned and the rep said she would ask if they could I coude smart card, due to half the places I go to not having a connection, and someone may email me if it does change.
I was hoping bus travel would be the one thing I didn't have to stress about, but now it's all I can think about

Hi @Thorn344,

I have raised this with staff at the university too and they will look into it. I am not sure if you can download the ticket (if you can, I have not found out how to) but we are aware that this change has limitations. I can't make any promises but the University are aware that this is an issue, unfortunately I do not know how much can be done about this as it is a Stagecoach decision rather than University one.

I do hope something comes from this too.

If you have any other questions do let us know. :smile:

Alia
Reply 7
Hi.

Alia

hey it takes me from like an 1hr 30 to 2 max and i was wondering if you were able to change around your timetable to make it more convenient and so that you save costs. Thank you
Reply 8
Original post by Kingbets
hey it takes me from like an 1hr 30 to 2 max and i was wondering if you were able to change around your timetable to make it more convenient and so that you save costs. Thank you

You might be able to be lucky and change seminar groups. However, other seminar groups may just be as awkwardly timed. Lectures and such as basically set in stone, with regards to whatever students can do at least really. Changing optional modules is a possibility, but you then have no control over when anything is.

As someone who's bus journey is about 1h 30mins long, while driving would only be 20mins, I feel that pain
Original post by Kingbets

Hi @Kingbets,

Sorry to here about the inconvenient timings. Similar to what @Thorn344 said, if you explain your situation to your division you might be able to switch seminar groups. You can find the divisional emails here.

Which course are you doing?

You can find more information about changing seminar groups here.

Please note that the 2023/2024 seminar group change deadlines are:

Stage 1: Friday 13 October 2023
Stages 2+: Friday 6 October 2023

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending