The Student Room Group

Can you truly express yourself to 140 characters?

Personally, I think 140 characters is far to constrained, even for micro-debating.

Scroll to see replies

Let me rephrase that question, "Can you truly express yourself?"
Reply 2
There is absolutely no opinion, no expression, no state of mind that requires more than 140 characters to convey. I think.
No, it's easy.

Internet, food, sleep.
Personally I think it helps to hurry people along to the point instead of unnecessary explanation and context. No time for that these days.
Reply 5
A-detailed-look-on-Kimi-Raikkonen-The-Iceman-Formula-1-138507.jpg

"Yes"
Reply 6
Original post by Captain Jack
X

Not a proper debate then.

Please summarise papal infallability.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
This feels like Twitter :P 140 character limits suck!
140 characters is never enough :P
Reply 8
Original post by Dez
There is absolutely no opinion, no expression, no state of mind that requires more than 140 characters to convey. I think.

I disagree. Some books are states of mind in themselves. Most books are over 140 characters.
Original post by Juichiro
x

But succinctness is a skill that we all must learn. Take haikus, they express a lot with only a little.
Reply 10
it is like twitter
where people glitter
not gary obviously
I can. If I cannot type, I shall express myself privately via the medium of interpretative dance. A video link would be less than 140 right?
I am an amateur poet.
Succinctness is a virtue.
But 140 characters is ****ing mental.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by paradoxicalme
I am an amateur poet.
Succinctness is a virtue.
But 140 characters is ****ing mental.

I disagree and indeed think will see this a success and should be rolled out across the whole site in due course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Shorter, to the point messages are the way forward for young people with limited attention.
One can always resort to multiple short messages should they wish to express more than would fit in 140 characters.
Reply 16
@RK :dry:

Ahem...

Original post by Illusionary
spreading an extended comment over several consecutive posts will not be appropriate
Well personally I think you probably can't, I can't bear to be subject to such an arbitrary number and therefore to be cut off in mid senten
No. When limited character usage, can't display full thought. If can get opinion in 140 characters then don't have worthwhile opinion.
Original post by Vulpes
@RK :dry:

Ahem...

Report me and I'll get a warning :frown: but the more I think, the more it makes sense to stick to one message. Will improve vocabulary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending